Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 09, 2020, 01:11:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Has anyone used a "Cricut" for cutting tissue or vinyl?  (Read 359 times)
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Kudos: 29

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: April 02, 2020, 06:51:01 AM »

As I consider how to make the markings for my current project, the Grumman Guardian, i was wondering if anyone has used a cutter called a Cricut, and what the results were. I plan to do some online research, just looking for first hand experience.

"Curse you Red Baron!!"  - Snoopy
pedwards2932
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 08:25:40 AM »

I have a Sissix and the problem with cutting tissue is holding it down firmly enough to cut but lightly enough to pull it.  I have a low power laser and it did a great job of cutting tissue because it doesn't have to drag a blade over the tissue. As far as vinyl goes it the Sissix does a great job with that so the Cricut would as well. 
faif2d
Platinum Member

Kudos: 31

Sun came up I was here to see it = good day

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 10:23:03 AM »

I used to dope the tissue into a number of layers and when done cutting drop into a pan of acetone and they would all come apart.  I would think this would work with a heavy paper backing sheet as well.

I used to like painting with dope but now I can't remember why!    Steve Fauble
dputt7
Titanium Member

Kudos: 97

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 08:17:58 PM »

I used to dope the tissue into a number of layers and when done cutting drop into a pan of acetone and they would all come apart.  I would think this would work with a heavy paper backing sheet as well.
Brilliant idea, now all I need is to remember it when I need to do it
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 53

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 12:24:02 PM »

I have a Cricut Maker but haven't used it on tissue yet.  On my 'to do' list.

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
randoloid
Silver Member

Kudos: 9

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 06:15:22 PM »

Yes I've cut tissue with my Cricut... also cut 1/16 and 1/32 balsa with limited success.  Problem with the Cricut is controlling the order in which it makes the cuts.  you want to make all cross grain cuts first, and avoid corners... in other words cut a rectangle as 2 cross grain cuts, the two cuts with the grain... the corners tend to be the areas where I've had all my issue
PaulBrad
Gold Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 12:33:57 AM »

Dan - I don't have a Cricut but do have a craft cutter. The results should be the same. When I cut tissue I fold a piece of printer paper in half. I place the tissue between the two layers of printer paper. I then tape the tissue/printer paper sandwich to my cutting mat. The tape holds the top layer of printer paper so it does not move. I set the cut depth to cut through the top layer of printer paper and the tissue paper. I have been able to get good results doing this.

I do like the method mentioned by faif2d. I think that method would be best if the tissue is being cut into small shapes or shapes with fine detail. A very innovative approach to the problem.

Paul Bradley
Tim Hooper
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2020, 04:10:58 PM »

.... i was wondering if anyone has used a cutter called a Cricut, and what the results were.

Sorry to be a bit late to the party.

My wife and I have purchased a Cricut Maker in the last fortnight, and it's first job was to cut some tissue logo scripts for my new Gipsy.

The software is simple to use, and I used a 'lightweight' sticky mat and the rotary cutting blade.

I've been very pleased with the results.

Tim
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Has anyone used a "Cricut" for cutting tissue or vinyl?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: