Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 09, 2020, 02:08:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Provisional NFFS Vintage FAI Rubber Class  (Read 909 times)
BG
Platinum Member

Kudos: 83

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Me with F1B - epic retrieval (flew 10km after DT)

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2020, 07:19:14 AM »

Louis,
I agree on both items. Flying the vintage era wakes in the same rounds alongside the modern ships would be a lot of fun. As long as the vintage flyers obeyed the rules with regards to flight line etc. I don't see that the B flyers would have any issues (they would be happy to have em on the line I think...well at least I know I would).

As for flying in rounds, well I love the idea but I can tell you that if/when you try to institute that philosophy you will get strong pushback from the non-FAI guys ... many of them are dead set against anything that will dictate where they fly and when they fly. In part because they like to fly a TON of events in one day .... rounds flying on a line basically limits the modeller to one or maybe two classes per day (trust me I have tried flying two classes in rounds mode (F1G and F1S for example) and it is tricky and usually results in me doing badly in both). The AMA guys will not like that they can't fly six classes in a day. The advantage of flying from a line and in rounds is that I find the camaraderie is very strong and for me, a lot more fun than being off on my own. But as I say, it will come down to the number of classes people like to participate in.

BG

F1B guy but its not my fault, Tony made me do it.
Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 35

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2020, 09:25:00 AM »

I agree that flying in rounds is a good idea, but the AMA guys will scream.

As you all know, I'm really not all that much into competition flying. As I've said many times: I'll show for a contest, pay the (maximum) registration fee (to support the club) and fly all day long and never post an official.

I have two primary gripes when it comes to contest flying:

1) Finding a timer. It seems nowadays most everyone has a flying buddy and they time each other all day long.

2) "Sand-bagging". We like to call what we do a "sport" but this is the only sport that I am aware of that allows people to wait until almost the end of the competition to enter. Flying in rounds would eliminate that practice. (I suspect that is another reason why AMA flyers don't like the idea of rounds)

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 53

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2020, 01:31:13 PM »

Lots of interesting info emerging here. So when and where will the first events occur?

Bernard

Vintage Wakefield is offered at the Northwest Free flight Champs in Tangent, Oregon.  August 21-23 

http://willamettemodelersclub.weebly.com/northwest-free-flight-championships.html

No idea how many contestants there will be. I had hopes but I seem to be on a semi permanent model building break.

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: