Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 31, 2020, 02:03:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Air assist for laser  (Read 145 times)
pedwards2932
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: May 20, 2020, 02:44:33 PM »

I have a low power (2.5 watt)  laser that I use for cutting balsa parts.  I had cobbled together an air assist but was never happy with it.  The air assist blows air at the kerf point where the laser is cutting.  It blows away the burnt wood and allows for deeper cutting.  I had just cut some parts for a project that I am working and was unhappy with the cut.....it didn't go all t he way through and the kerf was larger than I like.  So I designed a adjustable fixture that uses my airbrush compressor to blow directly on the focus point of the laser.  I have been tuning up my 3d printer and have been getting amazingly accurate prints.  This unit has thumbscrews that are m5 and the threads came out great.  You can't use a lot of force on them but plenty to hold the unit on the laser.  I imbedded m5 nuts in the fixture as I was having a hard time with internal threads.  Hopefully this will improve my laser cuts.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Air assist for laser
PaulBrad
Gold Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 05:29:33 PM »

That looks very nice and very functional.

Paul Bradley
mick66
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 02:07:34 AM »

Hello

Looks good.  Any details on your laser cutter.  What kind kind of jobs can it tackle, how thick can it cut etc.  I looked at getting one but the prices for a decent unit were too high.  This was a year or so ago.

Cheers

Mike
pedwards2932
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 07:59:48 AM »

Mine is a 2.5 watt Eleksmaker A3 from Banggood.  It will cut 3/32 light balsa easily in single pass as long as you have it focused properly.  It will cut1/8" plywood as long as it is desighed for laser (glue used is an issue)  It takes about 4 passes for plywood.  Hard balsa usually takes 2 passes.  The air assist increases the efficiency of cutting.  I think you can find them on Amazon for about $170
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: