Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
June 19, 2021, 05:32:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Flat Wing P-30  (Read 3265 times)
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 189

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2021, 01:26:14 AM »

Definitely agree! What a beautiful setting and I would think you have achieved your goal!

John
calgoddard
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

United States United States

Topic starter
AMA, NFFS & FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2021, 08:54:59 PM »

Thank you John and Urs for your kind words.

There was a calm morning at Washoe Lake, Nevada, On April 19, 2021.  So I went flying.

I flew my third Three Nite P-30 (red and yellow) for the first time.  This is the second one I built from the Volare Products short kit.  As you know, my first build of the Volare Products short kit (blue and yellow) flew OOS and was lost.

After a few trim flights, I wound the 12 x 1/16-inch motor to 1200 turns and 7 inch-ounces of torque.  The model rolled a bit to the left shortly after being launched due to the high torque, but recovered.  It DTed at 3 minutes and twelve seconds about 75 feet above the ground.  It could have been a flight close to four minutes but for the DT.  It may have caught some good air way up high.  On the other hand, the torque roll at the beginning of the launch surely cost the model some significant altitude.

See the attached pics.

This time the model was carrying one of my Walston RF transmitters - so the AUW was probably around 45 grams (not counting the rubber).  Naturally, the RF transmitter was not needed as the chases were short and the model easily retrieved by sight. This was the fifth wind of the rubber motor but the prior winds were something like 100, 300, 500 and 850.  I had taken out a slight amount of right thrust (maybe 1/2 degree) prior to the last flight because the model had been turning a bit tight to the right in the power phase.  I can either put that right thrust back in, or fly with a 10 x 1/16-inch rubber motor which can't take much more than 6 inch-ounces of torque but gives you a longer motor run.

Again, no lateral instability issues with this design were detected. So, the tip plates apparently eliminate any need for conventional dihedral and wing tip wash out.

Thanks for all of you that have read my posts on the development of this model and given me your support. I have around ten P-30 models, some of which are very high-tech.  The rudimentary design of my Three Nite P-30 has proven to be a good performer in my flights of three of them that I have built.  For some reason the glide of this design seems particularly good for a P-30. I am guessing that the good glide performance has something to do with the tip plates reducing wing tip vortices that induce drag.

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Flat Wing P-30
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 09:07:37 PM by calgoddard » Logged
Olbill
Titanium Member

Kudos: 71

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2021, 12:38:37 AM »

For some reason the glide of this design seems particularly good for a P-30. I am guessing that the good glide performance has something to do with the tip plates reducing wing tip vortices that induce drag.

I think there are a number of indoor duration classes that have benefited from this layout: LPP, F1M, Ministick, Wright Stuff. I'd like to build a competitive A6 like this. I actually started out in A6 with a flat wing/tip plates model, but the prop I was using then was inferior to current ones.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2021, 09:13:50 PM »

That's a rewarding result Cal. Perhaps a slight increase in the height of the wing tip plates would help to reduce the torque roll on launch with the more powerful rubber - effectively increasing the dihedral effect.

Anyway you certainly have developed an interesting model.

John
calgoddard
Platinum Member

Topic starter
AMA, NFFS & FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2021, 04:49:24 PM »

For those of you who are members of the National Free Flight Society (NFFS) the just published May - June 2021 edition of the NFFS digest contains a copy of an article I wrote about my Three Nite P-30 design.  The article includes a reduced view of the plan from the Volare Products laser-cut short kit.

I hope that NFFS members will suggest this kit to those interested in exploring our hobby for the first time.
calgoddard
Platinum Member

Topic starter
AMA, NFFS & FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: June 14, 2021, 10:33:47 AM »

On June 13, 2021 I flew my red and yellow Three Nite P-30 in the John Oldenkamp Memorial P-30 contest held at Taibi Field in Perris, California.  John was a co-originator of the P-30 event.  See the attached picture of me launching my model on one of my official flights in this contest.  My P-30 that is shown in this picture was built from the Volare Products short kit.

Thirteen experienced P-30 fliers flew in this event including two of the three very best P-30 fliers in the US. I chose to enter my red and yellow Three Nite P-30 to see how it would stack up against very stiff competition and, frankly, just to fly a different looking P-30 design.

Flying conditions were near perfect with 2-3 mph winds and lots of lift. After the initial round of official flights, five of the thirteen fliers had achieved three 120-second maxes under the AMA’s rules for the P-30 event, including me.

Per the AMA rules, a fly off ensued with increasing max times of 150, 180, and 210 seconds.

Two fliers made it to the third round of the fly off, including myself. I ended up being the winner of this memorial P30 event. I was only officially credited with a sixth flight time of 195 seconds as that is when my timer (my wife) lost sight of my model.  However, my daughter was chasing for me and she reported an official flight time via her cellular telephone of just short of five minutes.

On all of its official flights my red and yellow Three Nite P-30 was carrying one of my Walston RF transmitters with batteries. That was a weight penalty of around 5 grams. As is often the case, it turned out that the onboard RF transmitter was not needed to facilitate any of the long recoveries. Had my model not been carrying an RF transmitter it would have flown even better, but the odds of losing it would have probably gone up dramatically.

This is not to say that the design of my Three Nite P-30 is better than any other existing P-30 design.  In truth, by way of example, Stan Buddenbohm’s Air Shark and Clint Brooks’ Boomer MK III are probably superior P-30 designs in terms of performance. However, even a beginner’s P-30 design that is a quick build, like my Three Nite P-30, can be very competitive in the P-30 event. Of course, as in any flying contest, you need a bit of good luck on your side in order to prevail.  On another day, a different one of these fliers may have won the contest.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 11:58:21 AM by calgoddard » Logged
Olbill
Titanium Member

Kudos: 71

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: June 14, 2021, 11:16:18 AM »

Excellent results. Congratulations!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2021, 08:43:39 PM »

Congratulations Cal. Definitely the proof of the pudding.

John
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: