Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 30, 2020, 09:17:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Source of Velcro adhesive for attaching Mylar(tm).  (Read 283 times)
flydean1
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: June 13, 2020, 10:14:12 PM »

Went to my local fabric shop where I got my last few tubes of Velcro brand adhesive, and none to be had.  Went on Amazon as well.

It is the easiest to use; for me, anyway.  Any idea what it is exactly, and what alternates are available in the USA?

Thanks in advance.
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 53

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 10:36:47 PM »

I wonder if this is the same stuff. Different packaging than the tubes I've used in the past.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/VELCRO-Brand-1-oz-Tube-of-Glue-on-Adhesive-90065/203307569

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
duration
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 07:26:48 AM »

Dean,

Not surprised to see your post. I've had problems finding Velcro cement in the past. Some of the big-box fabric stores would have it, others not. Sometimes different stores in the same chain would stock but other didn't.

There is a long thread (4 pages) "Icarex PC31" here on Hip Pocket that has a lot of good info on various covering materials and on alternatives to Velcro cement. That recommends DAP Weldwood contact cement thinned with Toluene. Also mentioned  were Evostik. I have no idea where to find that. It's a long thread but worth wading through--lots of info on Icarex and other synthetic coverings.

Louis
flydean1
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 10:36:16 AM »

Louis, I'll go to that thread.

Derek, that is exactly the product I was looking for.  thanks.
Tmat
Titanium Member

Kudos: 69

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 11:31:38 AM »

I found that DAP Weldwood contact cement was superior to the Velcro cement: https://www.homedepot.com/p/DAP-Weldwood-32-fl-oz-Original-Contact-Cement-00272/100125525
I thin it with Toluene but there are probably other solvents that will work.

Tmat

F1B guy...
But don't hold that against me!
NormF
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 12:37:56 PM »

X2 on the thinned Weldwood. I’ve been using MEK to thin, but real MEK is hard to find in Calif. Acetone does not work. It Does have an amber color but the tint lets you know where and how much glue you have applied.
A tip- let it dry until there is a slight tack. You can then press the film in place without heat or lift it to remove wrinkles. Once it looks good, then iron in place. Warning- if you iron too soon (glue not dry enough) the solvents will out gas and bubble under the film.
NormF

I found that DAP Weldwood contact cement was superior to the Velcro cement: https://www.homedepot.com/p/DAP-Weldwood-32-fl-oz-Original-Contact-Cement-00272/100125525
I thin it with Toluene but there are probably other solvents that will work.

Tmat
flydean1
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2020, 01:59:23 PM »

OK, thanks everyone.  Weldwood it is.  We have MEK here in LA (Lower Alabama) also toluene as well.
gstew
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2020, 12:16:28 PM »

Another alternative that supports a FF supplier is the U-Glue sold by FAI Model Supply here:

https://www.faimodelsupply.com/product/u-glue-contact-adhesive-glass-4-oz-bottle/

Greg in Mississippi
flydean1
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2020, 11:16:03 PM »

Just wondering if someone has used DAP contact cement and a heat iron to attach CF strips to ribs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: