Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 05, 2020, 05:16:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Help with West Wings Fournier  (Read 351 times)
Robmoff
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: June 08, 2015, 12:34:38 PM »

Many years ago I started building a West Wings Fournier, but for various reasons it got shelved with a part completed fuselage. I would like to resurrect the project and having seen that the later versions of this kit now incorporate ailerons I would like to go down that route. So has anyone built this latest version and can give me a clue as to the size and location on the wing of the ailerons, and I assume that the dihedral has been reduced, and clues for that too? Oh, and btw, anyone know how well they fly?
Rob

Never underestimate the innate hostility of inanimate objects.
L Adams
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 02:21:05 PM »

ROB - BTW which engine, prop and battery combination did you use on your West Wind Fournier Motor glider? and how did it perform?
Thanks,
L Adams
L Adams
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 02:25:51 PM »

Hello Rob,
I noticed your post about trying to complete your unfinished kit. I am doing the same here in the US with an older kit from years ago. Unfortunately the spars on one wing were broken and the kit does not specify the type of wood used for the spars? (Basswood or Spruce)?? Do you know which type wood/spar was included in the kit?? BTW - I also fly a full scale motor glider and the ailerons are slightly more than 1/3 of each wings span. This is a general rule of thumb when adding ailerons building a glider. I also trimmed the ends of the ribs to accommodate a wider trailing edge, keeping the same wing planform and size. This will increase the size of the aileron surfaces.  I also laminated some carbon ribbon at the the front of the trailing edge to add strength and stiffness before attaching/gluing in the ribs. I have one wing completed but waiting to buy spars for other wing now.
I hope that this is useful and to hear from you soon.
Lift and Happy Landings
Lewis
 Smiley
Robmoff
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 03:30:41 PM »

As far as I recall the spars are balsa, not soft lightweight stuff but a med to hardish grade. I am a bit 'old school' so to me adding weight means you fly faster and crash harder.
I actually sent a message to West Wings at the time and they gave me the details for the aileron size and position, but that was years ago. Still not flown yet.
I settled for a 480 race motor and that should be enough, it will be lighter with a mini receiver and Lipo battery.

Never underestimate the innate hostility of inanimate objects.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: