Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 13, 2020, 10:52:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Camoflage?  (Read 337 times)
pedwards2932
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: June 22, 2020, 11:05:51 AM »

I am working on a Guillow Spitfire that is camo on the upper surfaces.  They have templates for the layout.  Just wondering if it is bettor to use just use airbrush to approximate the layout or actually make stencil?  Is camo usually a hard line edge or soft sprayed edge?  I have airbrushes so I can probably do it without templates if I practice.
fred
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 11:14:54 AM »

Usually a soft edge. Even those that seem hard edged are in Museums etc as a soft edge ..Done by a man with a spray gun.
Greg Langelius
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 11:46:38 AM »

A trick I learned working with plastic models and rattle cans was to mask off the edges, but to leave the edge raised at about 45 degree from the surface.

Dusting the paint on at a 90 degree angle to the surface leaves a soft edge; but spray light.

Greg

New knowledge is found by re-examining old assumptions.
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 62

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 12:23:55 PM »

I am working on a Guillow Spitfire that is camo on the upper surfaces.  They have templates for the layout.  Just wondering if it is bettor to use just use airbrush to approximate the layout or actually make stencil?  Is camo usually a hard line edge or soft sprayed edge?  I have airbrushes so I can probably do it without templates if I practice.
Short answer - hard edge; certainly at your scale
Long answer - https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/29585-british-camo-rubber-masks/
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Kudos: 43

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 04:06:42 PM »

Thanks Bill . I have learnt at least one interesting and useful thing today. I wonder how many other facts that don't fit the model have been attempted to be distorted over the years. PC10 springs to mind but I probably shouldn't go there.
Otakar
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 08:10:58 PM »

YES Hard Edge. The British masked off their patterns. Spitfires and Hurricanes were hard edged patterns.
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2020, 09:06:01 AM »

Grin to came the plane i used coloured tissue cut a pattern and just barely overlap rach piece. i also attach each piece to all the surfgaces i can to ensure tightness i also  use as big a piece of colour for every piece. i'm fine if it looks real enough

jim Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
pedwards2932
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2020, 10:06:52 AM »

Thanks for all the responses.  I thought about using tissue for the olive drab but I only have brown or grass green.  I mixed some acrylic in olive drab.  I have some frisket that I am thinking about trying.  I wanted to see if I could use my craft cutter to cut it.
pedwards2932
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2020, 05:22:45 PM »

Well the Frisket film seems to work great.  I did my tracing of the camo sections Inkscape then I pulled the file (.svg) from Inkscape into my craftcutter. I put the Frisket film on my platen and it cut it out perfectly all I had to do was peal it off and apply to the plane.  Looks like it will mask it off great.  I included some screen shots of the process.  Hope you can see the frisket film in the picture
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Camoflage?
pedwards2932
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2020, 10:58:02 PM »

Well I got it to work.....had to relearn how to use my airbrush.  Seemed to come out pretty good.....only added .3 grams so I don' t think doing it with tissue would have been lighter.
pedwards2932
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2020, 10:09:18 AM »

I used some frisket and my craft cutter to make stencils for lettering.  I used my airbrush to paint.  Not sure if it would have worked better just using a brush.  I found that the letters that have internal pieces like the A or 0 if you use a piece of tape to hold them in place and carefully remove then they align perfectly.  I still need to work on my airbrushing and making sure the stencils are perfectly aligned.  Still all in all it looks pretty good.
MKelly
Platinum Member

Kudos: 103

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2020, 03:27:46 PM »

That's coming out very nice.  BTW, the plastic modeling world has a number of small vendors selling mask sets for camouflage.  Many sites have images of the masks that can be imported to your graphics program and scaled to match your model.  I did this for my West Wings Tempest - the printed masks fit very nicely over the fuselage, eliminating a lot of the trial and error of adapting three-view images to fit a three-dimensional shape.

Mike
pedwards2932
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2020, 04:09:11 PM »

That sounds interesting....for this model they already had the layout on the plans so all I had to do was trace.  I did oversize them a bit to accommodate the airfoil.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: