Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 09, 2020, 07:46:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Lunchbox HLG  (Read 208 times)
dosco
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: June 25, 2020, 10:40:34 AM »

Currently going through some 'life changes' and am trying to focus on fun activities. I haven't built anything in a long while, and thought it would be super fun to knock out some small HLGs. After looking at several plans, I settled on the Lunchbox. I built 3. I had to deviate from the plan regarding the wing thickness, I used what I had on hand which was 3/16" (instead of the called-for 3/32")...with the "I don't care so much, and want to have some fun" attitude I didn't worry about it too much. Used my newly acquired razor plane to shave the wings, which was fun. Had some relatively nice 1/32" and 1/8" C-grain for the tailfeathers and fuse. Sprayed the wing and forward fuselage with Deft spray laquer, then in the spirit of fun I sprayed the top and bottom of the wing with color (the bottle of orange crapped out and I had to switch to red). Added some numbers for more fun.

Yesterday I tested #1 in the front yard and it flew ... surprisingly "floatily" (I was really surprised, figuring it would be a lead sled) ... without any nose weight.

I pulled out the scale this morning and weighed them, #1 is 7g, #2 and #3 are 8g. Probably downright porcine, but this is about fun, and I really hope to have them fly away.

Every time I look at them, I giggle a little bit. A bunch of Lunchboxes ... haha!

(the pic of all 3 ... they look a bit wonky, I think it's because they're sitting on a soft futon and are all slightly askew from one another ...)

-Dave
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Lunchbox HLG
Lunchbox HLG
Lunchbox HLG
Lunchbox HLG
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 186

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 09:22:44 PM »

Very colourful little beasts Dosco.

Happy flying
John
flyfac
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 11:51:46 PM »

Lovely builds. 

The Lunchbox was the first hlg I ever built.  I may still have the original blue line mimeograph plan for it somewhere.

Best,

Scot Dobberfuhl
Forest Grove, OR
dosco
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 11:17:25 AM »

Just returned from the local elementary school. Sunny and warm. I had #1 and #2 with me, #3 remained at home.

Had to add a small touch of clay to the nose of both to handle the choppy air. #2 flies in nice left-hand circles of about 10' diameter. Several flights it strayed over warm air and got some hang time.

#1 ... has issues. At first it tended to have a strong left turn and dive. I worked on setting some washin to the left panel ... helped a little. I took out the left rudder. Helped a bit. I took out the down elevator on the right panel. Had some good flights and bad flights, it was remarkably inconsistent. I played with the CG by adding and removing clay, it affected performance but the plane was still quite inconsistent. Hrrmmmm.

Of course the harder I throw, the worse they behave. So, lesson there is throw firmly but don't "try." Very Zen.

I can see maybe losing #2 in a thermal. I wished it a few times today, happily, but only got a little lift.

Will be interesting to observe #3's performance.

Had fun, though, which was great. Will try to get out earlier in the AM tomorrow to get some smoother air.

-Dave

dosco
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 11:47:56 AM »

I took the birds to a local sports field and chucked them around. It's pretty humid outside, and I arrived at the field around 10:15AM, so I was expecting some barely-suitable thermal conditions. As I chucked the beasties around, I was hitting small patches of lift here and there. Remembering the various Zaic articles I read when I was much younger, I was able to feel the air get still, warm up, and a cool breeze come in (signaling the thermal is detaching/moving away).

I decided to try and take a flight picture ... the requisite shabby "pictures with speck in the middle" are provided for your viewing pleasure (haha). Oddly on that flight, Murphy must have showed up to enforce his law of the universe. On that flight I hooked some good lift(!).

Arm started to hurt, decided "one more flight" and launched #3, which hooked a thermal (the best of the session). I wasn't timing the flight, but I was convinced for about a minute, as it gained altitude, that it was going to fulfill its purpose and fly away. Sadly, Hung decided not to take her, and she fell out of the lift.

Haha! Super fun time!!

Side note ... am guessing if that last flight was with a larger Zweibox, it may have flown away. Have to think about building the larger cousin ...

-Dave
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Lunchbox HLG
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: