Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 09, 2020, 07:42:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Which model for low key competition uk?  (Read 315 times)
tissuetyro
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: June 30, 2020, 05:20:23 AM »

Hi All,
Newbie living in the midlands of uk. I have built and flown a VMC Cessna and have put it aside for when indoor flying resumes. In the meantime I have built the VMC Sparrowhawk for flying in a small field locally. I have had a couple of outings with this; the first was on a windy day 8/9mph winds with 12 gusts and achieved 23 seconds flight. The next outing was a calm day 4mph and lovely left circle flight pattern but the same flight times. I will experiment with using something other than the supplied rubber motor, perhaps 2x peg length?

I am keen to build something else and have had a hankering for a Keilkraft model on and off for some time. I wondered about the Ace 30" and the great thread on the 20" build has certainly fired the enthusiasm. I thought of this model because of the relatively small flying field. I am also interested in having some simple competition I could work towards which would give focus and an excuse for a weekend away next year. I read somewhere of a competition for cabin style models that calls for a 40 second duration but can't find it anywhere now?

Any suggestions for an appropriate model/comp would be greatly received. I would probably prefer a kit at this point in time.
Many thanks
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 62

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 05:56:31 AM »

It could be the Grantham club event you are thinking of. Either way, the KK Senator fits all your criteria. Fly it in Mini Vintage events.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 150

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 06:06:33 AM »

There’s also the SAM35 Rubber Bowden. A precision event for conventional rubber models run by John Ashmole, usually at one of the Old Warden days. Rules here: http://sam35.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/rubber-bowden-rules.pdf
Target time is 40 seconds (reduced if it’s windy) so it might be the one you were thinking of.
tissuetyro
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 07:15:56 AM »

Thanks, Bill,
I have read a lot about the Senator and it is one that I have considered and so good to get your recommendation. I will have a look for the Grantham club competition as it is a good location for me and the Mini Vintage events sound good.

Thanks, Pete, 
That's the comp I had read about! I love the Old Warden full size shows and it would be good to fly there at a model event one day. Although I notice the rules require two undercarriage legs and so would rule out the Senator.

So it looks like the Senator or the two legs of the Ace?

Thanks again for the replies.

vintagemike
Silver Member

Kudos: 9

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 09:49:26 AM »

The Ajax, Ace or even the Competitor would be ideal for the rubber Bowden, the Ace is a bit more straightforward to build than the other two. Flies well.
tissuetyro
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 10:16:34 AM »

Thanks, vintagemike,

Yes, I the Ajax is another option.

Still pondering it all and trying to convince myself that I will cover all angles and save on postage if I order a couple of kits in one go Smiley
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Kudos: 43

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 10:32:43 AM »

Just to wet your appetite further

Last years Rubber Bowden- I've forgotten who won it but he looks strangely familiar ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGE5w43OJM4&t=33s
tissuetyro
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 11:01:42 AM »

That's a great video, Squirrelnet, thanks for posting.

Looks fun, despite what looked to be quite windy conditions.  It does look like the kind of thing I was looking for.
Congrats on your win.

vintagemike
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 03:43:39 PM »

I think all the plans are on Outerzone so no need for the kit especially (should I really say that?!)
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Kudos: 43

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 04:00:21 PM »

Congrats on your win.

Thanks tissuetyro, but don't congratulate me its Pete Fardell that deserves the praise
tissuetyro
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2020, 02:18:27 AM »

Oooops! Congrats, Pete.

vintagemike: thanks, I will take a look at the plans.
tissuetyro
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2020, 10:39:49 AM »

I've done a bit of research and looked at the plans on Outerzone for both the Ace and the Senator. I still like both for different reasons Grin
I have some further questions I am hoping to get a bit of help with:

1) By the looks of it I will need a D/T in both models?  What sort of thing should I be looking for? Where from? I looked at Free Flight Supplies and there is quite a list. I guess the smaller and lighter the better? I would prefer to avoid the lighted fuse type. They also have a cheap torque meter, do I need one of these?

2) I have one of the KP Aeroproducts 10:1 winders for indoor/ small outdoor models. Would this be up to these models or would I need something else and what options are there?
To begin with I am thinking I will build an Ace as it is simpler and would serve to get used to the style of construction etc. I am also thinking it may be better for the small field I have near me and so I will probably be flying it a lot on a low turn count initially.
Many thanks
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 62

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2020, 10:51:35 AM »

1. see pm
2  No the 10:1 won't do. Derek does a bigger one. Alternative is to convert a decent hand drill - not a crappy old one that sticks

Do the Ace - you don't want a Senator in a small field because it won't be in it for long.
tissuetyro
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2020, 11:18:03 AM »

Thanks, Bill,

The Ace it is (although there is something exciting about the Senator's ability to fly so well).

Thanks for the useful info.
vintagemike
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2020, 11:18:13 AM »

completely agree with Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: