Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 19, 2021, 01:46:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: prop sugestions  (Read 328 times)
Kurt b
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: July 14, 2020, 11:19:12 PM »

Hello I am new to free flight and I am currently building a "Mash-up" design by Rob Romash and I'm not sure what type of prop to make the plans say "any construction 6" max diameter. I have built several props following the John Kagan Scraps prop tutorial for my "scraps" planes. Any suggestions would be great. I understand how important the prop is but i don't have a great understanding of what size, shape, and pitch. I do have a chunk of balsa that I'd like carve into a form. If any one could point me in the right direction. thank you so much.
bjt4888
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 02:56:04 PM »

Kurt,

Mashup looks like a fun design. My Science Olympiad students have gotten very good results using variants of Bill Gowen’s carbon rod hub flaring Penny Plane prop. You’ll see a good description in the Penny Plane section of this forum, with pictures, of building this prop type. Probably try P/D ratios around 1.8 - 2.0 and relatively broad blade chord. A good part of the fun is building and trying several prop types and/or pitch variariations

Others on the forum that have actually flown the Mashup can give more specific guidance.

Have fun,

Brian T
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 07:41:11 PM »

You could look at Mini Stick plans. You would have to make the prop more robust and in many cases smaller in diameter.

It might be fun to carve a prop from light balsa. With a minimum weight of two grams, your weight budget ought to allow it, assuming you use reasonably light balsa everywhere. Consult David Dodge's Idiot's Guide to Prop Carving, which search engines,know how to find. My nocal, which has far more structure and a bit more span, weighed around 3 grams with a carved,prop and flew very well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: