Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 30, 2020, 08:35:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Elevon control system with non computerised transmitter.  (Read 171 times)
B-Limey
Copper Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: August 05, 2020, 03:12:46 PM »

I want to build a delta flying wing which uses Elevons for pitch and roll control but I am using a non computerised transmitter. How do I set up the servos to do this  since I cannot do channel mixing ? I think there has to be some form of mechanical mixing from the not too distant past and someone who remembers how it was done. Any ideas welcome !
pedr01
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 04:46:36 PM »

https://rclibrary.co.uk/download_title.asp?ID=1023

CHAPTER 13, PAGE 142, FIGURE 90
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 04:57:27 PM by pedr01 » Logged
B-Limey
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 08:17:45 PM »

Pedro, thank you for the very rapid responce ! I thought it would have to be something that has doubtless been done many times before and wanted to be sure my line of thought wasn't totally wacky ! I was leaning toward the set up as shown in figure 92 but in the last few hours I think I may want to try something totally un sophisticated. Since I am looking at a delta wing I figure that the trailing edge is plenty wide enough to have an elevator in its centre and ailerons each side of the elevator thereby eliminating the sliding servo as shown in figure 92 or the complex linkage from figure 90. This plane, if it flies successfully is for a young neighbour of mine so it won't need overly sensitive controls therefor the small control surfaces will be just fine. You may be wondering why the non computer radio well the honest answer is very simple. The transmitter and receiver to go with the plane are my OLD Futaba FM 6 channel ! Again many thanks for the responce, I will now have to read the rest of that publication !
flydean1
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 10:14:23 PM »

About the only issue with the center elevator and outer ailerons is the lack of provision for landing flaps.  However, deltas can be flown to very high angles of attack without stalling (discovered by Chuck Yeager on the XF90, I think) therefore there should be no problems.  It will be difficult at first to teach a new flier about angle of attack vs airspeed, but the earlier they learn it the better.  Set the main gear well aft and fairly long and it should work out all right.
TimWescott
Platinum Member

Kudos: 16

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 04:11:04 PM »

In addition to the various clever mechanical mixers, it's possible to buy an electronic mixer that took two servo signals in and put two servo signals out.  If no one else carries it, there's a Turnigy brand V-tail mixer on the Hobby King site.

Search on "V tail mixer" (it's the same thing as an elevon mixer, but "v tail" is more common).
B-Limey
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 11:07:40 AM »

I thank you guys for the informative replies. I had a ten year departure from model aviation and can't believe the scope of changes that occurred in that time frame. I will now hop on my CAD and draw up some plans and proceed to build a "flying" machine. He said hopefully. I will post a picture when it's done.  Thanks to all.
raggedflyer
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 11:45:16 AM »

Post deleted
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 12:47:43 PM by raggedflyer » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: