Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 30, 2021, 11:02:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Lens test on low power laser  (Read 322 times)
pedwards2932
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: August 20, 2020, 07:48:42 PM »

I had printed an upgrade to my laser so I could adjust the z axis.  I tried a G2 lens which is supposed to be a high performance lens.  I put it at 32mm distance from balsa to be cut and focused.  You can see from the picture the multiple focus lines it took and I had to use 2 passes.  I put in my 3 element colloidal lens  I focused and the line to the right went completely thru in one pass!  Distance from balsa was 3".  The focal distances I was using is what I had read from a lens company as optimal.  I was cutting at 450mm/min and it was fairly hard balsa.  The next pic is some ribs I cut.  It was softer balsa and I was able to cut thru at 550mm/min.  Notice how thin the kerf is.  The last image shows how there is very little char there is on the edge.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Lens test on low power laser
raggedflyer
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 10:21:47 AM »

Interested in the aspects of very fine kerf and particularly low char as I wish to cut 300 gsm white card with next to no black discolouration. The ‘soot’ sticks and can easily streak the card.

Do you think your setup would cut this weight card very cleanly in a single pass?

What is the spec and where to buy the colloidal and G2 lenses please?

Thanks
pedwards2932
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 11:49:49 AM »

I can't recommend the G2 as I didn't get good results.  The colloidal came from Banggood.  How thick is the card?  If you use air assist and a high speed it may work.
raggedflyer
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 06:16:56 AM »

Thanks I’ll check out BG.

Card is 0.30 mm nominal.
pedwards2932
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 06:51:51 AM »

I have cut index cards with no char.  I have also used it to cut tissue with no char. You  have to set it to run as fast as you can and still cut thru.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: