Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 26, 2020, 11:48:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: VariEze  (Read 1101 times)
Jasco
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

United States United States

Aero ergo Sum

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2020, 12:04:01 PM »

Well, THIS is off topic, but I've seen guys discussing their sports cars, so here goes! Grin
#1 was a Guild Madeira dreadnought that I still have, though the frets and fretboard are atrocious.

My last "outing" was the company Xmas party where I used my Epiphone Dot and a 15W Line6. We played jazz standards and xmas music. (ugh)

60 years of wasting precious rainforest hardwood.
dosco
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2020, 01:23:51 PM »

My last "outing" was the company Xmas party where I used my Epiphone Dot and a 15W Line6. We played jazz standards and xmas music. (ugh)

At least you play.

I played double bass - classical - from 4th grade to 12th grade. I bought a double bass for myself upon graduation.

It's been gathering dust since 1988.

I do think I will pick it up again, this time to play jazz or somesuch, but the skills have perished. I can tune it and I recall a couple of scales ... and that's it.

(I was a fool for putting it down)

-Dave
Jasco
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Aero ergo Sum

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2020, 02:47:35 PM »

I've heard it said that time spent building model airplanes is not subtracted from your lifespan.  The same applies to playing music. I just wish I were better at both.  Or either.

60 years of wasting precious rainforest hardwood.
bgrove
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2020, 02:23:28 PM »

I got a nice piece of my aluminum can cut for the landing gear.  I'm not sure it even worth messing with.  Now that it's cut it has almost zero strength.  A lamination will help, but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.

I also started on the LG and filler blocks which will be removable so I can display the plan with landing gear and fly with all LG removed.

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: VariEze
Romeo_Delta
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2020, 02:43:44 PM »

I have an unbelievable story about an E-Z, a friends grandpa died he owned a local airport that had become rundown and was only maintained as an emergency landing airfield in North Central Indiana. I had a couple of connections to the family one through marriage. To make a short story long I was there as a friend to help clean out an office and a pole barn when I mentioned I was in flight school and the widow told me to come see her when I got my pilots license. We’ll life happened at about 30hrs into a ~40hr pilot training course and I could not continue. Pretty sure I would’ve been the proud owner of a Long EZ or a six seater low wing (I can’t remember the make but she was beautiful).
Hope someone enjoyed that sad story lol...
bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2020, 09:14:14 PM »

I got the bottom stringers in place and looking pretty good.  I cut out the opening for my LG attachment.  I also have a plain filler section to use when I fly it.

I dove into my first attempt at the curved landing gear.  I went with two strips of 1/32nd cut at 45 degrees across the grain.  In between these are my strip of aluminum with the balsa 1/32nd top and bottom with gain opposite the other side.  I soaked the 32nd in hot water and made the laminate sandwich and taped against a jar.  I then saturated the composite with thin CA - and part of my hand  Smiley  I did a glue test prior and found that wood glue doesn't work at all (left end of test), metal/wood cement was next best (middle of test) but still no good but CA - Yes.  The photo shows the right hand CA test that has a layer of balsa from the test piece still attached.

Tomorrow afternoon I'll undo it and see how it turned out. 

Brad
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 186

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2020, 09:25:54 PM »

Brad if the aluminium composite doesn't work - why not try glass cloth on the bias in between your layers of balsa. Some thing around 3oz/m2 should work.

I think it would be stiffer with a bit of spring as well.

John
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

AMA and Flying Aces Club Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2020, 04:39:16 PM »

Very good to see the job is still on going. I made a mistake earlier when I identified the VE my uncle built. It was N83DL. OOPS  my eyes are playing tricks on me. Glad to see the progress on the first veri eze.
bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2020, 07:13:57 PM »

!!!! why didn't I think of fiberglass!!!!  Thank you John.  I might need to add some or redo using fiberglass.  I have plenty from my previous large scale days :-)
bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2020, 08:37:06 PM »

Quick update.  My lamination worked well, but it was brittle.  I added one layer of fiberglass to the outside surface and..... it's perfect.  Tough, strong and light ish.  Smiley

I'll post more photos as I progress.  We are busy prepping for wildfire evacuations now getting our go bags and important documents etc. ready to go.  Plus another video inventory of the entire house.  Oh what fun.

Here is a shot of the sky last night.  Fires are closer today.  I jokingly said, "it's like I'm running my smoker in the house!!".  ha.

I'm not to worried, but better safe than sorry.  I hope that anyone else on the west coast of USA is doing OK.  It's bad from California to Washington - I'm in the middle in Oregon.

Brad
PB_guy
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2020, 01:09:54 AM »

Keep safe. We are getting only a whiff of the smoke blowing up our way. This smoke can be really hard on those with certain conditions. I'll send up a prayer for the safety of your family.
ian
dosco
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2020, 07:52:11 AM »

Quick update.  My lamination worked well, but it was brittle.  I added one layer of fiberglass to the outside surface and..... it's perfect.  Tough, strong and light ish.  Smiley

I'll post more photos as I progress.  We are busy prepping for wildfire evacuations now getting our go bags and important documents etc. ready to go.  Plus another video inventory of the entire house.  Oh what fun.

Here is a shot of the sky last night.  Fires are closer today.  I jokingly said, "it's like I'm running my smoker in the house!!".  ha.

I'm not to worried, but better safe than sorry.  I hope that anyone else on the west coast of USA is doing OK.  It's bad from California to Washington - I'm in the middle in Oregon.

Brad

Brad:
I hope that whatever happens, you and yours are safe, and that your home is unscathed.

-Dave
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2020, 08:34:20 PM »

Best of luck Brad - stay safe!

John
bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2020, 01:51:16 PM »

I made some good progress while we stayed indoors all weekend due to the extremely bad smoke in the area  Cry   We are happy that we are no longer in a 'prepare to evacuate zone' and that the smoke should be clearing away my the end of the week.

I got the landing gear assembled into the removable plug and it really turned out well - IMO.  I also got the canopy plug carved and ready to prime.  I did lots of little fiddly work preparing the frame work for covering and trying to figure out what I'm going to do for the rear motor cowls and lower air scoop.

Brad
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2020, 07:50:59 PM »

Good to see you guys busy building and that in your case some sort of normality returning.

John
bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2020, 03:23:11 PM »

I've started to cover the plane.  Progress is slow but steady.
bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2020, 05:34:03 PM »

Fuselage covering in process.  My canopy plug is very close.  Now just add about 3/16th to the bottom and back so I have 'trim marks' and hard edges once cut out.

I'm contemplating a desert camo design!!  I'm going to research some looks and then I'll decide.  It would be something different from the standard delta stripes, etc.

We finally got some rain in the Pacific NW.  There are still fires, but no danger to us and the air is again clear and fresh!!

Brad
dosco
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2020, 10:39:08 AM »

Desert camo? Sweet!

My favorite, as a kid, which I tried to reproduce with a Comet kit (which had the cardboard tube down the middle of the fuse). Looked neat, *did not fly* because it was made of neutronium (lol).

There are other pictures online ... couldn't post because they were on Pinterest (which seems to dislike hot-linking).

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-8Jl0DSq7XN8/VhH5Z59PYdI/AAAAAAABi58/eN8frvtq9JA/s1600/messerschmitt%2Bbf%2B109%2Bgerman%2Baircrafts%2Bdesert%2Bafrica%2Bfinger%2Bformation.jpeg
VariEze
PB_guy
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2020, 12:15:09 PM »

Boy, that tissue looks great. Did you take it outside and wave it through the (smoky) air to get that colour?  Wink Looking good!
ian
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: