Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 26, 2020, 12:10:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: GLIDER FLY OFF HIGH START TOW LINE TROPHY  (Read 415 times)
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Canada Canada

Topic starter
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« on: September 02, 2020, 02:22:42 PM »

GLIDER FLY OFF HIGH START TOW LINE TROPHY

I was maybe thinking of some kind of informal virtual Glider Fly-Off thread,  flying pics only, just for fun ... , and high start tow lines only,  outdoors only.    And this is a quick trophy idea.    Everybody gets a participation trophy !  LOL   Grin
     Have we got enough gliders?   I'm open to thoughts, rules, etc.

Here is a 5 pics.

Pic #1     6592
Pic #2     6593
Pic #3     6594
Pic #4     6598
Pic #5     6599

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
Attached files Thumbnail(s):

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

United States United States

AMA and Flying Aces Club Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 03:34:12 PM »

Let the people with a plan somewhere have a little while to do a build.
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 05:28:09 PM »

Hi FLYACE1946 -  yes that sounds good,   there should be lots of time allowed to make a High Start Tow Line glider from any plan.    This should also be open to all models already started, and completed,  and flown,  and the snipped pics from any videos, should  also be allowed.    A few story notes  on the name of glider, wingspan, plan, kit, scratch build etc.  and a description of the flying pic and flying site (only outside pics allowed),  would go nicely with each pic,  and help people with finding a glider kit or plan that they see, that they would like to build, and maybe discover a flying site nearby.    And how about a minimum of one pic,  and a maximum of six pics,  per  glider,  per reply.   And everyone must put their own build thread into the proper HPA category in the first place,  and just submit their good flying pics to this topic later on.     And for any more suggestions, please take your time, there is no rush for suggestions, and no rush to start any time real soon ....   Smiley

Pic #1     GANNET
Pic #2     GLIDER AND ALBATROSS
Pic #3     GLIDER TOWED
Pic #4     GLIDER ON TOW
Pic #5     MINIMOA SAILPLANE  1930s
Pic #6     Glider Pilot Wings

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
Re: GLIDER FLY OFF HIGH START TOW LINE TROPHY
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 06:22:55 PM by LASTWOODSMAN » Logged

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 04:53:35 PM »

The Trophy needs an improved centerpiece Glider theme.    Work has begun on the 2nd iteration/revision.

Pic #1     6066     Bloodroot removes the thin masking tape after tracing the prototype trophy.

Pic #2     6608     New diagram.

Pic #3     6613     Closeup.

Pic #4     6615     Size comparison.

Pic #5     6617     The paper pattern was Scotch taped to a  0.007"  aluminum cookie sheet,  and cut out.

Pic #6     6622     And a contrast pic of the gold plated Chalice and the aluminum Gliding Centerpiece.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 09:06:37 PM »

Well,  here is more work on the latest trophy designs. 

Pic #1     6711     We made a new nameplate,  and traces out the template.

Pic #2     6717     The top sheet is peel 'n' stick Trim Sheets the color of "Gold Chrome",   and the "Chrome" sheet is behind the right cup.

Pic #3     6719     I inked on Studio Gel 0.5 mm marker outlines, of the master Glider template, onto the Gold Chrome sheet.

Pic #4     6720     The gold is cut out now (the curly tips are held flat with thin green masking tape,  just for the pic).

Pic #5     6721     The white backing is peeled off, and the Gold Chrome is then "taped" (adhered),  on to the "Chrome" peel n stick sheet.

An outline was then inked on and cut out, and this is what we got.  The one on the left is "fatter".

Pic #6      6733     The two prototypes so far.     

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 09:45:35 PM »

More experimental design work.

Pic #1     6753     Bloodroot tries his freehand design of a Banner for the top of the Trophy,  connecting the two handles.

Pic #2     6756     Two base plate covers are also traced out on a window.

Pic #3     6757     Mandrake :   "Hey Blood -  what's the G for?"  ....  Bloodroot :  "Glider"

Pic #4     6758     Bloodroot :  "This Banner will sit on top of the cup handles".

Pic #5     6761      Mandrake :   "That's a pretty fancy G there Blood".    Bloodroot  :   "Yeah, but the G on the base faceplate has to go ..."

Pic #6     6762     The latest design for the Banner is on the top.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 09:49:34 PM »

More experimental design work.

Pic #1     6764     Here is a lot of experimentation with etching relief engraving,  with a ball point pen and an aluminum cookie sheet  3.5 thou of an inch thick.

Pic #2     6766     Half of the top banner in position.

Pic #3     6768     Two aluminum wings and a gold "G" shield.

Pic #4     6770     Held in position with clear Scotch tape.

Pic #5     6776     Another view.

Pic #6     6780  SNIP     The latest prototype.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 03:05:04 AM »

Hi Ratz.  I am posting this here too.    I am having trouble expanding the pics now for some reason.   The thumbnails pics expand,  but when I click the square "expand to actual size"  button at the top of the page, nothing happens.   Is anyone else having this problem also?   Even all my old pics also now, do not expand,  when they all did before.    I hope this is not a permanent feature now.    Is there any way we can get the pic expansion feature back?   Thanks.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

Ratz
MAAC#26533
Administrator
Gold Member

Kudos: 133

Canada Canada

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2020, 08:54:48 AM »

It appears to be working properly for me.

Ratz

We don't stop playing because we grow old...
We grow old because we stop playing.
RalphS
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2020, 09:23:22 AM »

Works okay for me this side of the pond.  LASTWOODSMAN - you post a lot of pics and words - I wonder if something is full up on your pc.  Perhaps not the correct technical term but you may know what I mean.
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2020, 10:57:54 AM »

Well, I still have the problem with the second expansion from the thumbnail.   I have seen this happen on another site, though.   I don't know what the computer term is for this,  or I would  type it in myself ... and see what the reasons and fixes are.   And today is a flying day of no wind  too ...

Pic #1     AGONY

LASTWOODSMAN

Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2020, 02:58:58 PM »

Sorry,  I forgot the ongoing problem of the pics not even loading into the six spots for the thumbnail pics, in the current reply, and not loading up in the previous replies also.   In order to get them to load,  I have to click the "page refresh button",  and that helps to load them -  this problem has been mentioned before - I believe I suggested to reload the page.   I don't know if this helps or not ...

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

Ratz
MAAC#26533
Administrator
Gold Member

Canada Canada

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2020, 07:14:27 PM »

Perhaps you should try clearing your browser history and image cache. Depending on what browser you use it might also be time for an update. One just never knows.

Ratz

Ratz
MAAC#26533
Administrator
Gold Member

Canada Canada

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2020, 11:59:03 AM »

Sorry,  I forgot the ongoing problem of the pics not even loading into the six spots for the thumbnail pics, in the current reply, and not loading up in the previous replies also.   In order to get them to load,  I have to click the "page refresh button",  and that helps to load them -  this problem has been mentioned before - I believe I suggested to reload the page.   I don't know if this helps or not ...

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

There's a lot of reasons this sort of thing can happen. Sadly, 99 times out of 100, the problem has nothing to do with the web site you are viewing. That being said, given that you appear to be alone in this issue (it's not like 20 people are saying they have the same problem) it could simply be that your web browser needs a refreshing. It's amazing how a little bit of housekeeping can keep a browser running nicely.

In Firefox (that's what I use) when things start acting up I use the Refresh Firefox option in Troubleshooting to give the browser a tuneup. It's a wonderful thing. Some settings need to be reset afterward but I find it's a small price to pay for getting rid of annoying issues. I'm sure other browsers have a similar option available.

Also, along with "pics not even loading into the six spots for the thumbnail pics" you have said that the "second expansion" (Expand to Actual Size) is not working either. Well, expanding to actual size is dependent on a couple of things. First, the pixel dimensions of the image (Actual size). Second, the pixel dimensions of the browser window you are viewing them in. If the browser window is larger than the pixel dimensions of the image the expand button will be grayed out. The pixel dimensions of an image must be larger than the browser window in at least one direction in order for the actual size button to be available.

Example: on my laptop, my browser window is roughly 1200 x 770. The attached image (one of yours from a previous post) is 1024 x 768. When I click the thumbnail it opens in the browser window within the white frame our system adds to it. The white frame will always be restricted to the size of the browser window with the image scaled proportionally to fit within it. The expand button is available. When I click the expand button, it gets only slightly larger. The picture is now displaying at 1024 x 768 plus the white frame.

Second example: the image of the birds with plane (awesome photo btw) is 1600 x 1140. Same steps as above it behaves as expected. Click the expand button and it grows in size quite dramatically.

It's all about pixels.

Ratz

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2020, 11:19:30 AM »

Hi Ratz.   Thanks for all of the help.   That was Starduster's pic of the two redtail hawks flying with his glider.    

I will now try this "Strange Sky" pic, to see how it expands,  after resizing by the width dimension only.

This original PIC # 6735 STRANGE SKY,  has    1600 PIXELS  x  1200 PIXELS =  506 KB
 Resized by first dimension only, to 1500,  and leave second dimension blank.
This gives  me  6735 STRANGE SKY 'Custom'     1500  x  1125  = 296 KB
       (the computer automatically chose the 1125 pixel)
All pics must  be under 400 KiloBytes KB.

My Screen resolution of my Monitor is  1280 x 1024,   so this Custom pic  1500 x 1125,  should expand twice from the thumbnail,  to a full screen pic, beyond the edges, so that I have to drag the pic around and into the screen, to view all of it.

Let's try it ... here goes ... see if it expands twice ...

Pic #1    6735 STRANGE SKY Custom     1500  x  1125  = 296 KB

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

EDIT  --   Success!!     Grin Cheesy Smiley    I think i have it now ...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 11:29:38 AM by LASTWOODSMAN » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: