Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 19, 2021, 10:08:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Scale Weekend - Old Warden 19-20 Sept 2020  (Read 1421 times)
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2020, 11:05:48 AM »

Yes I appreciate that John and certainly for an event like the one you mention I can see an assurance of the number who will turn up is necessary.  If I were a participant on a reasonably regular basis I would have no problem in giving an assurance and losing my fee if I failed to turn up for whatever reason. Even in unforeseen circumstances that may not really be my fault.  Because even if they were not my fault it is very certain that they would not be the fault of the event organisers.

But then you see I am just a casual flyer and may not even know myself even up to the day before if I will definitely attend.  Were I
anticipating in any way - for example had volunteered to perform a task I would expect to have to attend.

However because they have always done so there are aslsp people who prefer not to book ahead so they can hedge their bets.  But we may have to re adapt one day.  I suppose there can be some sympathy with those who have a long drive dropping out at the last  minute if the weather is bad if they are going to fun fly.

For my part maybe I should gain some confidence in doing things on line.  OW and such like events are good fun so far as I am concerned and I would rather do that that than see them vanish.  But I am not sure what a GRP Gliding Racing event is but I rather feel it depends on technology so that might be a deterrent For me? Must see what I can find out.

So take your point John.  Covid is likely to be around next year so better be prepared.  What we also need is a greater application of common sense and a willingness to understand the “rules” which are straight forward enough and also a willingness to obey them.  And not to use someone else’s apparent flouting of them as an excuse.  That is about the most fatuous reason ever but quite popular these days.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 166

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2020, 03:23:16 PM »

I have just noticed this update on the Modelair FB page

Update: We’re very pleased to confirm that Scale Weekend is going ahead 19-20 September  
Thanks to all who booked online and apologies on behalf of Shuttleworth- the glitch on the booking website has been fixed.
The ModelAir team is looking forward to an enjoyable weekend with friends, old and new!
Please share this good news with your aeromodelling friends and colleagues! Thank you.
By way of explanation, this situation is due to Covid: all venues have a legal requirement to provide details of “customers” for NHS Track & Trace, and it is easier to capture this via online bookings than a paper form. This time we have both. Thanks to everyone for your co-operation.
Anyone wanting to book gate tickets online, here’s the link: www.shuttleworth.org/events/modelair-scale-model (please click this link and then scroll down to get your tickets)

Excellent news! Thanks for circulating this, Chris. I booked both days although in reality I may be restricted to just Saturday. Weather looks okay, if a bit breezy. Probably a 'launch between gusts' kind of day!
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 75

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2020, 03:32:52 PM »

Booked in for Sunday ... just want to be there. I haven't given much thought to actual flying!
Having said that, I'm having a last minute surge to try and get a dime scale P40 covered in white tissue to fly 'naked' first.
Saving the Mooneys for the indoor season .... when it arrives.
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 68

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2020, 03:49:22 PM »

Will the restaurant be open, I wonder?
Invader3
Silver Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2020, 04:24:25 PM »

Bill, AFAIK, the restaurant is staying closed, but there is a takeaway food & drink service available, and the toilets and Collection are open.

Pete, there was some mention of bringing our Mooneys for a "show & tell" meet up - any thoughts?

Would be nice to put some faces to monnikers if anyone's around on the Saturday - see you there! (Sunday's our anniversary, so no chance of both days!)

John
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2020, 04:32:01 PM »

Pete, there was some mention of bringing our Mooneys for a "show & tell" meet up - any thoughts?
Well, I'm open to suggestions, but I fear it won't be peanut flying weather and what with the need to socially distance too perhaps it's not quite the time. What do you think?
(But yes I agree it would be nice to all at least say hello.)
john bowerman
Bronze Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2020, 02:10:04 PM »

Moony's
I agree it would be great to meet up and show the fruits of our labours but like you say the time is not quite right at the moment.
One thing maybe to keep in mind is that Buckmister is always available on Mondays for Free Flight and Mike Smith is sending a circular out on the Saturday advising of expected weather for the Monday.
It might be worth considering for those of us who have paid our dues to the community.
John
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2020, 07:22:38 PM »

Good fun today at OW. Too windy really, but I took a couple of models which usually cope and are tatty enough not to worry about: big yellow Fairchild and the Agricola. Entered both in John Ashmole’s rubber Bowden event. Smashed both too! The old Fairchild zonked in and disintegrated spectacularly before the contest even started, but the Agricola fared better and it was a burst motor winding for round 2 that was its undoing. Frantic supergluing and some crude splints meant I at least got a second flight in though and it was enough to win the B class (bipes and low wingers). Admittedly there were only 3 of us in the B class, but still. I may repair the Agricola. Fairchild really is binned this time though, except for the wings. It had a good run and I badly need its shelf spot anyway.
 Here’s the scoreboard. Numbers show not the times, but the deviation from the 30 sec target. Note that the overall (and class A) winner, Trevor Tabor’s ‘Rubberdub’,  deviated by only 1 second over both flights. Impressive in those conditions!

I got some useful Blériot photos in the pioneer hangar too. A good day and social distancing was well observed I’d say. Great to meet you John, and put another face to a Mooneyite!
Anyway, hope those going tomorrow have a good time too and maybe a calmer day.

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Scale Weekend - Old Warden 19-20 Sept 2020
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 08:08:30 PM by Pete Fardell » Logged
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2020, 05:23:14 AM »

There weren’t many scale models at all on the FF flightline yesterday, but one exception was Daniel Rackstraw’s superb collection of little jets. Several are from Richard Crossley designs.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 05:56:17 AM by Pete Fardell » Logged
THB
Gold Member

Kudos: 27

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2020, 05:50:08 AM »

That's a nice group of jets

Tim
"Life is what happens while you're busy making other planes."
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Kudos: 56

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2020, 01:13:03 PM »

Well today was also quite windy. I had gusts of just over 10mph with a steady 6-7mph on my wind meter thingy ( can't remember the correct name) so not as bad as yesterday by all accounts. It was quite blustery though so many were put off and RC assist prevailed ... er me included.. I had many flights with my rudder only Vic Smeed Coquette. But there were some who picked their moment and got some nice FF flights in with surprisingly light models.

Here's some pics

1 Nice Beagle Pup ? being wound before another successful flight

2 Lovely DH Sea Vixen Ebenezer by Tim Grey flew very nicely on it's early trimming flights powered by a DC Dart

3 A herd? flock? squadron? of Voetsaks C/L sparkie powered models

4 A sneaky peak inside the scale tent ... I can't get enough of Mike's new DH4 - it's a gorgeous model and it looks even better wearing its scale prop

TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2020, 02:15:29 PM »

Based on the scheme & fin markings think (1) might be a VMC Bird Dog.
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2020, 03:25:33 PM »

I think you are right Lurk. It features in the video(to be uplaoded shortly) and flies very well as it seems do all of Gordon's models

Oops uploading wrong pic . I had a shot of Gordon winding his Beagle Pup ..which is obviously not that one.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 05:27:09 PM by Squirrelnet » Logged
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2020, 03:41:27 PM »

There's a video here of some of the flights from the FF area... although many are Rc assist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXnx4ejLoJo

Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2020, 04:00:51 PM »

As a scale modeller or probably any aeromodeller, one of the great attractions of an event at Old Warden is a chance to look around the constantly changing collection of historic aircraft.

Great to see the Gloster Gladiator back from its engine rebuild but a  few new privately owned aircraft have now appeared in the hangers.

pic 1 and 2 Travelair 4000 - a very pretty Wright radial powered biplane designed by Lloyd Stearman

pic 3 - Ryan st ? looks lovely in polish ali

pic 4 - a new Tiger and G-ABAG is back

Pic 5 - G-ABAG Dh60 moth

Pic ^ - It's been here a while but the Sopwith Dove looks lovely

Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 75

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2020, 06:45:14 PM »

Enjoyed today even though my flying consisted of a few chucks of a catapult glider!
Good to see you keeping things going on the flight line, Chris. The Coquette in particular is one of my favourite sport models I still haven't built ... a kind person even posted a copy of the plans to me over a decade ago. I think Alex got some good shots for the mag.
It was great to get back inside the hangers for the first time in over a year .... I did like the Travelair. I think it was the first time I caught the Gladiator there too.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2020, 07:12:26 PM »

Thanks Chris. I enjoyed the film- looks to be a good few more people flying FF than yesterday. Nice hangar shots too. Agree the Travelair biplane is lovely. Spent a while gawping at it myself. Here’s one of several shots I took of the Blériot. I hadn’t quite realised that the flying wires are essentially very thin flat metal struts rather than wires.
I also rather liked this all red Cub and it was nice to be able to just wander in to each hangar from outside again too.
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Kudos: 46

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2020, 02:14:30 AM »

Looks like a wonderful weekend to me. I do strangely enjoy the sound of OW videos - the mix of motors (even the noisy ones, but particular the rubber), with the incessant undulating engine noise from the CL in the background and the comforting and constant sound of blokes talking their bloke-chat.

Thanks for the video.

It wasn't me
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2020, 02:34:51 AM »

Here's a few more from me

1 - Rc flightline - with social distancing

2 - Winding a Beagle Pup? right photo this time but is it a Beagle Pup ?

3 - Starting the DH Sea Venom is a two person job

4 - Rudder only Coquette gets away again for another flight

5 - Quite a few CL flyers there on sunday. A couple of brightly coloured combat models ( one is a Warlord) an interesting looking twin
Kevin M
Gold Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2020, 03:48:31 AM »

is it a Beagle Pup ?

Bulldog I think
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2020, 04:05:17 AM »

Lovely pics. A sunny Old Warden is heaven on earth. I thought the whole event was very well organised. The health safety measures were evident and well observed, but not really impeding the fun. We have a fortunate hobby in that regard, unlike my wife’s Morris dancing group!
In fact the only times I forgot to socially distance at OW (as far as I know) was when a couple of people asked me to hold models for winding. This is a hard habit to break, but probably one that we should break.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 192

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2020, 06:30:59 AM »

Thanks for that Chris - very enjoyable.

John
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: