Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 26, 2020, 12:02:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Scale Weekend - Old Warden 19-20 Sept 2020  (Read 1026 times)
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Kudos: 46

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: September 06, 2020, 03:20:15 PM »

Finally after an event free summer we have an event to look forward to.

The postponed scale weekend is confirmed for a couple of weekends time and I for one can't wait. The advantage of it being at Shuttleworth means even if the weather is poor, and lets hope its not, there's a whole museum to look round and to be frank I have withdrawal symptoms having not been there since last December

I thought it worth giving aheads up here though as both Shuttleworth and Modelair who organise the event are recommending advance booking of tickets. If nothing else it may prevent lengthy queues at the gate

Modelair's statement is below

Pilots & Spectators - Shuttleworth are recommending booking your gate ticket in advance, online, to save time queuing. Here's the info:
Advance Gate Tickets – for Pilots and Spectators are available on line: www.shuttleworth.org/events/modelair-scale-model
please see T&C regarding refunds:  www.shuttleworth.org/terms-conditions.
BMFA & SVAS - £8.50 (with valid membership card)
Adults (Spectators/Public) - £13.00 (No concessions); Children free
Payment at the gate will be contactless.

For lovers of model flying, ModelAir Scale Model offers the chance to enjoy radio controlled, free flight, and control line flying. Watch the action, or bring along your own and take part!

Informal competition trophies are awarded on the Sunday, including:

Flight Director’s Trophy
Shuttleworth Trophy
Britannia Trophy (FF)
Masefield Trophy FF scale comp
All disciplines of models (Control Line, Free Flight, Radio Control and Radio Assist) are encouraged to fly at all our events. Models and flying style should be in keeping with the historic ethos of The Shuttleworth Collection.

Weight restrictions apply: RC and RC assist: 10kg; CL: 5kg; FF: 500g.

The event is suitable for all ages, dogs on leads welcome. There is a trade line and car boot area.

I have no connection to Shuttleworth - just a heads up really that the event is going ahead
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 151

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 04:03:25 PM »

I was already going to come to this, Chris, but for some reason your posting it on here has really lifted my heart. As well as the events mentioned there's also John Ashmole/SAM35's Rubber Bowden, I think on the Saturday, which is always good fun. (Who won it last year? Can't quite remember....  Grin)

There was some talk of attempting gathering of Mooney cook-up models at this weekend too. I'll certainly bring the Beaver, if not the Demoiselle, so if anyone else is coming perhaps we could have a little mass launch, or at least a group photo? I realise most of our Mooney models are more suited to indoors though.

Anyway, see you there!
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 64

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 04:04:42 PM »

Thanks Chris - booking now!
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 04:13:59 PM »

Booked! (Both days, what the heck! If it rains, I'll be in the hangar drooling over the Bleriot.)
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 04:16:59 PM »

I just looked for our BMFA membership cards but we don't seem to have one this year. Is it now somewhere on the BMFA site?
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 04:19:48 PM »

I just looked for our BMFA membership cards but we don't seem to have one this year. Is it now somewhere on the BMFA site?
I seem to remember you don't need a card now, so long as you know your number (although I think you can request a card if you really want one). Or have I imagined all that?

I didn't need a card number to book OW though. I just ticked the BMFA box.
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 04:39:28 PM »

Pete, it says with valid membership card so I don't want to be sat there arguing the toss on the day
I just checked out the BMFA membership portal - a complete undecipherable mess. I want a card. I'll phone the office tomorrow and report.
Which day will have the best weather , do we think?
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2020, 05:07:23 PM »

I’ve booked for both days too. As you say Pete there’s the rubber Bowden on the Saturday ... and do you know, I really can’t remember who won last year either . I do remember it was an entirely inappropriate scale model when everyone else was flying vintage duration models   Grin

Bill - I would have thought proof of membership is more important than an actual card so would your BMFA insurance docs not be enough ?

I really hope I’m not tempting fate here but the bbc long range forecast just covers Saturday and looks promising at least

billdennis747
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2020, 05:20:45 PM »

Bill - I would have thought proof of membership is more important than an actual card so would your BMFA insurance docs not be enough ?
Haven't got that either. Will sort it tomorrow
Kevin M
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2020, 01:50:32 AM »

This link should get you to the BMFA 'Azolve" membership area. Sign in and there will be a "Print Document" tab, which will produce
 a .pdf of both you membership card and insurance docs. Or you can download onto your phone:

https://bmfa.azolve.com/Account.mvc/SignIn
Kevin M
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2020, 02:12:22 AM »

P.S. When you've signed in using that link and got into the member area, it is the "My Profile" tab that will come up with the "Print Docs" yellow button.
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2020, 03:41:20 AM »

Thanks Kevin. managed to find mine but my wife has just registered and there is no 'print document' option. Will have to speak to the office.
Is this what they call progress
SP250
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2020, 03:57:39 AM »

Also don't forget if you are wanting to enter the BMFA Trophy FF scale events (which would have been held at the August Nationals) then any static judging will be held at Shuttleworth the same weekend. 
Even if you are not planning on flying that model, you need to take it for static judging. 
Flying part of the comps to be done at Buckminster in October.
Any confusion over this - get hold of Doug Hunt or Mike Smith.

John M
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2020, 01:51:22 PM »

So is it going to happen given the recent announcement about gatherings?
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2020, 02:05:31 PM »

I think Modelair will be making an announcement shortly

I'll post on here when I hear anything
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2020, 05:34:52 PM »

Announcement on Modelair FB page From Sheila  9:30 pm weds

Announcement:

Shuttleworth tell us that planned and managed events will be able to continue. They will let us know if anything changes.
Trade permits sent today, and we plan to be at OW from next Wednesday!
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2020, 12:26:55 PM »

Urgent notice from Modelair re Old Warden

ModelAir has been asking people to please book tickets online, in advance. The link has been made available in emails and online. Sadly, only a few people have done so.

SHUTTLEWORTH NEED TO SEE A SIGNIFICANT INCREASE IN PRE-BOOKINGS BY THURSDAY. THIS IS CRITICAL.

If online bookings are not forthcoming, Shuttleworth will have no option but to cancel, to avoid the risk of not being covid-secure.

Shuttleworth has a legal obligation to collect NHS Test and Trace details, and this is managed by capturing the required details online during the pre-booking process.

Please share this with your modelling colleagues as a matter of urgency.

Thank you.

ModelAir

Here's the link again

http://www.shuttleworth.org/events/modelair-scale-model
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 73

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2020, 01:30:45 PM »

Yes, I read this earlier. Must book up!
Well done in spreading the word!
Invader3
Silver Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2020, 02:52:40 PM »

Thanks for posting this Chris - I already have mine, and was going to put it up as an alert but you beat me to it!

John
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2020, 04:35:06 AM »

I did not notice originally that booking online was more or less essential - I take it that if you just turn up - as has been my habit in the past - and give my relevant details one will not be turned away. 
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2020, 04:51:58 AM »

I don't think they'd turn you away but there may not be an event to be turned away from if Shuttleworth don't see enough pre-booking numbers and deem the event unviable
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2020, 07:20:37 AM »

Thanks Chris - I am of a generation to whom booking (and doing much else on line) is a bit alien - mainly because of lack of confidence in ones ability.  OK I hope it works out and happens as it should. 
SP250
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2020, 04:09:27 AM »

David

Whilst not wanting to pick on you, that is precisly the issue.

I have just cancelled a GPS glider racing weekend because when I asked for confirmations from people who would definitely attend I got 5.
That made it not viable in time, effort and also financially.  Loan electronics to be sent from Slovenia - then cleansed and installed in peoples models.  Expert trainer and supporter of GPS travelling up from the south coast & camping for the weekend etc.

As soon as it was cancelled, others winged and said they were going to come - so why didn't they let me know before so they could be counted and secure the event?  They are also the ones who say they'll come and then don't turn up because of "something came up" excuses. 
Non of which is of any use to the organiser and venue owner.  Shuttleworth is exactly the same.  Ok in the past but not now.

We are in unprecedented times now with C19 and many things which were "normal" cannot happen in the same way as the past, so people need to see the wider picture from other's viewpoint and act accordingly, not just selfishly.  It's been a real hassle getting outdoor RC and FF scale competitions re-started and the number of venues is small.

Rant over, John M

Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 73

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2020, 05:15:00 AM »

Covid19 aside, will this be the way that things are going to go?
I'm not sure I like the idea of this being 'the new way' any more than I would welcome a cashless society.
Event organisers have to have b*lls ..... I'm sure we have all been to good meetings and we have all been to ones that were not so good. We turned up.
I don't want to get to the situation where it looks a bit dark over Bill's mother's, so they pull the plug on the meeting before time ... and we are sat at home hoping to be reimbursed instead of sitting in the cafe talking model aeroplanes.
This works both ways too .... if the event organiser is not going to show confidence in their event, the customer confidence could be knocked too. No, going forward we must at some stage return to a position where you can just turn up. (I think your position is different though, John)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 05:42:16 AM by Russ Lister » Logged
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2020, 10:26:04 AM »

I have just noticed this update on the Modelair FB page

Update: We’re very pleased to confirm that Scale Weekend is going ahead 19-20 September  

Thanks to all who booked online and apologies on behalf of Shuttleworth- the glitch on the booking website has been fixed.
The ModelAir team is looking forward to an enjoyable weekend with friends, old and new!
Please share this good news with your aeromodelling friends and colleagues! Thank you.

By way of explanation, this situation is due to Covid: all venues have a legal requirement to provide details of “customers” for NHS Track & Trace, and it is easier to capture this via online bookings than a paper form. This time we have both. Thanks to everyone for your co-operation.
Anyone wanting to book gate tickets online, here’s the link: www.shuttleworth.org/events/modelair-scale-model (please click this link and then scroll down to get your tickets)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: