Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 19, 2021, 05:58:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Indoor flying at berinsfield  (Read 822 times)
steve h
Bronze Member

Kudos: 6

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: September 08, 2020, 04:53:12 PM »

Hi
Does anyone know if indoor flying at berinsfield will be starting anytime soon
Cheers
piecost
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 05:44:49 PM »

Hi steve,

I was wondering the same and your post has prompted me to email the OFMAC address and enquire. I'll let you know if I get a response.

Tim
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 12:37:01 AM »

HMG have announced overnight (8th/9th Sept.) that a limit of 6 people for any social gathering indoors or out is to be imposed.  This may make it impractical to try and run indoor sessions.  It's throw a dirty great spanner in the works for outdoor meets as well.
steve h
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 01:45:59 AM »

Thanks Tim
Thanks lurker for the info
Ian Melville
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 07:46:32 AM »

Sorry to be a bit slow to the party on this. Embarrassed
I have made this announcement today after visiting Berinsfield in person. I wasn't getting anywhere by phone or email. I have sent this to Aeromodeller and will be posting/emailing wherever I can.

OFMAC Indoor FF Meetings
With thoughts turning to the winter indoor flying season many have been asking about the OFMAC Indoor Free Flight meetings at the Abbey Sports Centre in Berinsfield. I have met today with the management of the Centre to clarify the position regarding the use of the main hall for OFMAC meetings. Sadly the main hall will remain closed. Due to Covid-19 restrictions and the furlough of staff, the Centre is unable to offer the hall at present and is not at this time making any plans to do so.

Despite the reduction of the UK's Covid-19 alert level from four to three, there will be a restriction on social gatherings, which will now be limited to six. Furthermore, the increasing frequency of infections shows that we have some way to go before any sort of normal indoor group activities can take place.

It may be possible with ‘weasel words’ to work around the current restrictions, however, I have considered the demographic of last year’s attendees and I have decided that it is the right thing to cancel the meetings in 2020. I will review the 2021 meetings in December and publicise before the end of December. With a few bonus building days, I expect to see plenty of new models in the New Year!

Proposed Dates for 2021
Subject to hall availability and Covid-19 restrictions.
2021 Jan 3rd, Feb 7th, March 7th

« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 08:17:53 AM by Ian Melville » Logged
steve h
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 08:10:34 AM »

Thanks Ian for the information
Hope to see you in the new year
piecost
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2020, 09:33:14 AM »

Thanks Ian

Tim
Invader3
Silver Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 01:01:50 PM »

Thanks for the update, Ian Sad

John
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2020, 01:48:05 PM »

Sounds to me a very sensible and reasonable decision. 
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Kudos: 56

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2020, 02:49:01 PM »

Thanks Ian, much appreciated
Ian Melville
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2020, 06:01:51 AM »

Hi folks, hope you are keeping safe in this pandemic and manage to crack on with your projects without feeling guilty that you have managed to avoid meeting up with the outlaws :-)

As things stand, it looks unlikely that the events for Jan to March 2021 will be run. Prior to the latest resurgence of the Covid-19 virus the main hall at the Abbey Sports Centre at Berinsfield remained closed. Now the whole centre is now fully closed under Tier 4 conditions, which make communication with the management challenging. I hope that this is for a shortish period, who knows?

Once I can make contact with the local managers I will see if there is a likelihood of any events this spring, and start setting in place the dates for 2021/22 As was planned for this year I will be booking the first Sunday of the months Oct to Mar. This will mean the January date will be the 2nd Jan, and the following day the New Years day Bank holiday. What is the feeling about running an event on this date?

ATB
Ian
piecost
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2020, 06:33:32 AM »

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the update. I guessed that the sessions would not be happening but appreciate the confirmation.

I am happy with the 2nd Jan 2021 date.

Wishing you a happy new year.

Cheers

Tim
Ian Melville
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2021, 02:39:18 AM »

I hope that everyone has survived the Covid-19 battle so far. Though things are improving and there is a tentative easing of restriction, we are not out of the woods yet.

That brings me to the planning of next winters meetings, which may still be affected by any Covid-19 restrictions in place. I hope they will be minimal. The meetings will fall under "Organised Indoor Sport" which are currently not practical. I am hoping the "Freedom Day" will happen on the 21st of June, or soon after.

I will be sticking with the first Sunday of the month, as that seems to work well. Dates agreed with the Abbey Sports Centre are:
Sundays 9:00 - 4:00
October 3rd, November 7th, December 5th
January 2nd, February 6th, March 6th.

The door price has yet to be set as I am still negotiating the hall rate.

Though there are a few tables, it is best to bring your own. Broken tables, not by model flyers I must add, don't appear to get replaced.

Some of you may have got the chance to whittle some wood and have a fleet of indoor models to test. Sadly, I am not one of them as my work was ramped up for the support of homeworkers and key infrastructure. I look forward to seeing your fruits of labour flying from October.

All the best
Ian
piecost
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2021, 04:29:13 AM »

Great news Ian. I may not be able to attend them all but look forward to catching up with people.

Thanks for your efforts
Ian Melville
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2021, 03:21:28 PM »

Just a heads up. We are good to go with the first post Covid-19 event this weekend. Grin

I won't be imposing any rules, but, If you have been pinged or been in contact with someone who has tested positive, please no not attend.  Please use common sense.

Sadly we will have to finish at 15:00 now as keeping the centre staff beyond 15:00 at a weekend will incur an additional charge. As this has traditionally been a quiet period, I do not see that as good value.

Dates have been published by the BMFA and will be in the next Aeromodeller. They will be:

3rd October,7th November and 5th December  2021
2nd Jan,6th Feb,6th March 2022

Looking forward to seeing all the models you have built during the enforced lockdown.
piecost
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2021, 06:12:45 PM »

Thanks for posting Ian. Unfortunately, I cannot attend the first session as it clashes with the indoor duration nationals. I hope to attend some other time

Tim
Ian Melville
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2021, 02:07:21 AM »

Thanks Tim, see you soon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: