Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 26, 2020, 10:30:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1/2A combat models  (Read 340 times)
WayneB
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: September 10, 2020, 09:11:25 AM »

Hello all, Interested in some 1/2A combat model designs. Any ideas ?
Regards Wayne.
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 73

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 10:38:44 AM »

The only one I can think of is the Mini Warlord .... I saw a similar question on Facebook somewhere and it was ruled out there for some reason?
faif2d
Platinum Member

Kudos: 31

United States United States

Sun came up I was here to see it = good day

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 10:48:08 AM »

I have had 2 published and they are on outerzone and one on this site. They were a meni Nemesis and a Whetstone iv.  The whetstone is the best one and the drawing is on here. Steve Fauble

I used to like painting with dope but now I can't remember why!    Steve Fauble
WayneB
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 12:29:24 PM »

Thanks for your replies guys.
Regards Wayne
Jez Wilkins
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 06:09:26 AM »

Hello all, Interested in some 1/2A combat model designs. Any ideas ?
Regards Wayne.

Hi WayneB.

Do you want these for 'sport' flying, or for 'competition' flying?

Also, U.K. '1/2A' is not the same as U.S.A. '1/2A' - 1.5cc (0.09 cu.in.) for the former and 0.8cc (0.049 cu.in) for the latter.

Cheers,

Jez Wilkins
WayneB
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 09:48:10 AM »

Hello Jez
I know the two are different so should have said, but I’m interested either way. I have some of the f2d style 09 1/2a’s both foam and wood but thought would be interesting to see what others have or are using. No comps at the moment but My friend keeps tellIng me to.
Cheers Wayne
faif2d
Platinum Member

Kudos: 31

United States United States

Sun came up I was here to see it = good day

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2020, 11:54:13 AM »

The Whetstone plan that I referenced used a TeeDee .049 and they always came out tail heavy.  I even made some spinners out of brass to get some weight at the front.  A .09 as you guys use would stop this from being a problem.

I used to like painting with dope but now I can't remember why!    Steve Fauble
WayneB
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 08:16:57 AM »

Thanks for the info Steve.
Jez Wilkins
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2020, 10:26:25 AM »

Hello Jez
I know the two are different so should have said, but I’m interested either way. I have some of the f2d style 09 1/2a’s both foam and wood but thought would be interesting to see what others have or are using. No comps at the moment but My friend keeps tellIng me to.
Cheers Wayne

Hi again Wayne.

First, a bit of a disclaimer - all my comments relate to U.K. 1/2A combat, as I have no real knowledge of the U.S.A. version. I have never competed in 1/2A combat - and nor am I ever likely to - although I have flown 1/2A combat models for 'fun'/'sport'.  My views on the 1/2A combat scene are written from the perspective of an 'onlooker'/'spectator' - so I am more than happy to be corrected by somebody who is actually active in the event Smiley

Competitive 1/2A combat seems to be very much the 'poor relation', so far as organised competitions are concerned - the only one that I know of for sure takes place (in a 'normal' year  Roll Eyes) at the 'Power Nationals', over the (just passed) August Bank Holiday weekend.

In terms of the models used - the vast majority are going to be of the type that you already possess - mini versions of F2D models, purchased ready-built, and made in Eastern Europe (Ukraine/Moldova, etc.).  Some may build their own versions of similar and I have just uploaded to the Hip Pocket Aeronautics ['HPA'] 'Plans Gallery' a plan (Half A Russian & Rasputin) of something that was published probably quite a few years back now - this may take a while before it appears on the site, as it has to be 'moderated' first.

Looking through the (U.K.) 1/2A combat designs in the 'Plans Gallery' I came across 'Predator' - which is another relatively modern design - I have 'build instructions' for this model, but they are a '.bmp' file extension, so won’t upload with this post – if you want a copy, please send me a ‘Private Message’ with your email address in it and I will send you one.

I don't think that anybody these days would try to compete with any of the older 1/2A designs, as they are too small, in terms of wingspan (and/or wing area) and were designed when the most powerful 1.5cc diesel motors around were not ABC/AAC 'Foras' and 'Parras'.

If you want to build/fly some 'older' 1/2A designs 'for fun' (as I like to do, as I sometimes like something 'different' to build/fly) then 'the world is your lobster' Grin.  In terms of what is in the HPA 'Plans Gallery' 'Challenger' (700mm wingspan) was the first design that I ever really managed (as a teenager, over 40 years ago, now) to 'fly a tank out' with (albeit powered by an Enya 0.09 cu.in. 'glow', rather than a 'diesel') and I have built (and flown) both the 28 inch and 36 inch wingspan versions of the 'Tamer Lane' design.  If you want to go really 'old school' you could try the 'Blue Bayou'; 'Klipper' (24" wingspan); Mini Bunt (23.75" wingspan); 'Splatt' (20.375" wingspan) or 'Warlock' (24" wingspan) designs - just don't expect them to perform anything like/anything like as well as, the modern, mini-F2D design, 1/2A models that you already have. Grin

Cheers,

Jez Wilkins          

WayneB
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2020, 03:56:53 PM »

Cheers for your reply Jez, good list of models. I still have a Warlock plan and up until last year I had a Mini Early Bird but sold it unflown. Cheers again Wayne.
Jez Wilkins
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2020, 06:27:52 AM »

No problem Wayne.

I have a copy of the 'Warlock' plan - but it has never yet got onto my 'build list'. Smiley

The full size Early Bird is, err, an 'early' design (I have a clubmate who built one recently) and is not that far away from being a 'Dominator with elevator booms'.

Cheers,

Jez Wilkins   
WayneB
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2020, 11:21:23 AM »

Here are a couple of the more modern ish 1/2a UK spec models with aWarlord and Chaos for scale
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: 1/2A combat models
Jez Wilkins
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2020, 11:12:50 AM »

Hi again WayneB.

Thanks for posting the picture.  I presume (from looking at the bellcrank position) that you make your own 1/2A's, rather than buying them 'ready built'?  Also, the 1/2A with the stars on the wings appears to have a foam leading edge?  If so, do you cut your own?

Your picture is a good illustration of the point that I made earlier about the small (~24 inch) wingspan of the 'earlier' U.K. '1/2A' designs - the Chaos is 36 inch wingspan, the Warlord is 33 inch wingspan, both are 2.5 cc U.K. Vintage Combat legal designs - yet your 1/2A's are definitely larger wingspan that the Warlord and maybe as large as the Chaos. Smiley

Cheers,

Jez Wilkins    
WayneB
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2020, 05:28:29 PM »

Hiya, yes they our made by me. The foam leading edge one is a copy of an old Lithuanian 1/2a Model that did have the bellcrank in the centre rib. The wood one is of similar size to the other built similar to 1/2A Russian. Had some Balaev f2d models donkeys years ago that we got as kits so my mate and I started making our own. The Balaev kits were superb that we got and went together well, leading edges were very good but I think they all are now from what I see. Been rebuilding some of this stuff during lockdown and built a new Anduril. Cheers.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: 1/2A combat models
Jez Wilkins
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2020, 06:40:46 AM »

Hi again WayneB.

Thanks very much for the information.

Your new 'Anduril' looks very nice. Smiley

Cheers,