Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 26, 2020, 10:53:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: ‘Eze Wind’ rubber lube  (Read 418 times)
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 151

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: September 12, 2020, 08:19:05 AM »

Has anyone else tried this stuff yet? I’m not all that impressed initially. The rubber seems to dry out again after just a couple of wind-ups, but maybe it’s still lubed even when it doesn’t look it.
On a similar theme, what easily shop-bought or easily self-made  products do other people use? Before trying this ‘Eze Wind’ stuff I’d been using SAM’s own mixture (which worked ok but was, I suspect, rather overpriced).
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
‘Eze Wind’ rubber lube
piecost
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 09:43:45 AM »

Alot of indoor duration fliers use silicon grease varying from a vasaline type consistency to rc car suspension shock oil which is liquid.

I use the thicker stuff and find that the motor needs repeat lubrication after winding. It may get flung off or absorbed into the rubber. On my peanut Bristol Scout it makes a scale looking castor oil deposites on the tissue!
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 64

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 10:10:19 AM »

castor oil
RalphS
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 10:25:33 AM »

Soft soap and glycerine in equal amounts.  The main benefit over castor oil is that after flying it easily washes off in warm water and Fairy liquid and allows easy tieing of knots, etc.  Silicone grease gets everywhere including your sandwiches and steering wheel and (as mentioned before) any protuberences.
tom arnold
Gold Member

Kudos: 31

United States United States

Casper Wyoming

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 10:28:29 AM »

I really like silicone oil (12500 cst, this is very important) and it is the consistency of honey. A thin lubing of the motors in a plastic bag and it is good for the life of any size rubber motor and there is no need to ever reapply. It never dries out and due to its thick consistency it does not splatter on the tissue.

Having said that, it is extremely slippery and is almost impossible to wash off your hands. The best way to remove it is with a rag and some rubbing alcohol but it still takes a lot of wiping. If you are not careful, it is easy to transfer it on to the model while handling it but you learn. In spite of all that I love the stuff. It is expensive ($30 USD/gallon) from a chemical supply house but one jug would last you and a buddy a lifetime.

Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 139

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2020, 10:46:23 AM »

I use Son of a gun by STP. A good squirt in a freezer bag, add motor, then do the kneading. Still gets on hands but not as messy. I can't steer the car with rubber lube on my hands.

The Threadkiller!
cvasecuk
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 11:57:55 AM »

Silicone oil from Mike Woodhouse. His binding agent works well too.
Ron
Greg Langelius
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 12:06:43 PM »

Armorall Tire and Wheel Gel. https://www.amazon.com/Armor-All-Extreme-Shine-ounces/dp/B000FOJSHW/ref=sr_1_4?crid=27JKVRZRU7NX2&dchild=1&keywords=armorall+tire&qid=1599926687&sprefix=armorall%2Caps%2C246&sr=8-4

New knowledge is found by re-examining old assumptions.
fred
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2020, 12:22:27 PM »

Hmm.. Dunno about the Armour All swill .  Armour All has  earned a reputation of deteriorating Automobile tires when used.  
 Something about it messing the rubber compound into cracking problems ..where none previously existed.
 Gummy bands are a differing rubber though
I've been using a Large tube of Repco Rubber lube for decades (a 6 oz tube) Still half remaining.
It works absolutely perfectly.
 Current variant Here ; https://www.ebay.ca/itm/PBR-RUBBER-GREASE-FOR-LUBRICATING-RUBBER-BRAKE-PISTON-BOOTS-CUPS-17-5ML/121851419999?epid=244406603&hash=item1c5ee91d5f:g:sp8AAOSw40Ve7S4x
 There are also several Rubber lube variants for "Brake Seal' lube purposes.

atesus
Gold Member

Kudos: 27

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2020, 12:32:52 PM »

I have switched to Dow Corning Molykote 33 Medium Grease Lubricant. Not necessarily cheap at a 150g tube for $25-$30 (US) but a little amount goes a long way. I'm still on my first tube after 7-8 years. Doesn't splatter and doesn't dry out quickly.
--Ates
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2020, 12:38:27 PM »

Thanks all. I guess no one else has tried ‘Eze Wind’ itself then? It is silicone based.
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Kudos: 46

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2020, 12:57:35 PM »

I remember Andy Sephton had some at an indoor Peterborough meeting just before the lockdown and was saying it was very good, and he's tried many different types of motor lube. Actually I think he may have done an article for Aeromodeller about it. Apparently it's a good lube doesn't make a mess on the model, which having had problems with messy lube or just over lubing stuck with me

I'm surprised at the name  Roll Eyes makes me think of medical uses  Undecided not one to accidentally put in the bathroom cupboard

Not tried it myself, I'm still getting through my bottle of SAMS rubber lube, which is also very good though a bit messy
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2020, 02:04:41 PM »

Yes, he reviewed it in AM. It’s true it doesn’t splash, probably because it’s quite thick. It does seem to go dry quickly though as I said. (I hadn’t quite thought about the name’s connotations!)
gman
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2020, 02:39:02 PM »

I use the (silicone) lubricant that builders/plumbers use to lubricate slide-fit drainage joints. I get mine from Wickes though "other builders merchants are available". Quite cheap for a goodly sized squeezy bottle, enough to keep me flying competitions for a couple or three seasons. It's about the consistency of honey (as mentioned in a previous post) and it does get everywhere if you're not careful. A lifetime ago when I worked as an engineer I had reason to buy silicone oils by the 205l drum (that's 45 gallon in real money). I was told then, and it might still be true, that only two companies in the west made silicone oils which I think are technically "Silanes", they are/were Dow Corning and Rhone Poulenc. So I suspect that they are all pretty much the same under the skin with only the viscosity varying.
Gavin
Kevin M
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2020, 03:13:00 PM »

I'm currently using "food grade"silicone grease. I think they use it on 'fridge seals etc. Quite viscous, doesn't make a mess, and seems to do a good job. From the internet (Amazon if I remember correctly). I'm sure other similar makes are equally good.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: ‘Eze Wind’ rubber lube
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2020, 03:21:57 PM »

Quote from: cvasecuk
Silicone oil from Mike Woodhouse. His binding agent works well too.
Ron
+1
vintagemike
Silver Member

Kudos: 9

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2020, 04:20:37 AM »

Hi Pete, I either use Mike Woodhouse,s silicone oil or I tend to use RS components silicone grease part no 494-124 as recommended by Dave Hipperson in an article on Tan2 rubber years ago in Aeromodeller. I find the grease lubes well, stays on the rubber a long time and doesnt splatter, also you dont need a great deal of it on small motors
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2020, 06:08:00 AM »

Pete,
        I have used the Dow 33 for some time and found it was a great improvement on my previous rubber lube. The motor needs to be tied before lubing using the plastic bag approach. The motor sometimes feels dry but as it is wound the silicon seems to come to the surface. Occasionally I have to relube lightly. It is also used by some of our F1B fliers with good results.
Ricky
3view
Silver Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2020, 01:04:57 PM »

I thought I heard that silicone oil was banned from sports-halls as a spill is dangerous to other users and is impossible to mop up?

Steve

gman
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2020, 05:52:41 PM »

I thought I heard that silicone oil was banned from sports-halls as a spill is dangerous to other users and is impossible to mop up?

Steve

A few months ago I googled around with silicone oil and found that "treadmill lubricant" is another source of silicone oil at reasonable cost. What you use it for on a treadmill I have no idea, the danger I imagine, in a sports-hall, is that someone could easily slip on a spillage. Though I've used silicone since I started flying rubber a decade or so ago I must agree that it can be difficult to get off hands etc, but it's certainly slippery and, I'm sure, it's pretty inert and harmless.
Gavin
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 50

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2020, 06:00:55 PM »

I buy a tube of brake grease from the local auto store.
Have used it for many years and it works a treat.
fred
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2020, 08:13:23 PM »

Nawww.. Far  too simple and inexpensive. Where's the Status in doing that?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: