Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 26, 2020, 10:06:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New to rubber would like to do simple competition - what events are there?  (Read 271 times)
stuntguy13
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: September 12, 2020, 08:47:44 PM »

I'm just coming into free flight rubber and would like to do some simple competitive event, not to costly to get into. I've been flying catapult 12" and have it flying pretty good so I understand the basics of trim. I like to be working for competition (I fly OTS in control line) and got into Cat when one of our local guys mentioned Cat 12. It seemed like fun and I did fly hand launch as a kid (won my first contest as a Senior in HLG). Once I tried it, I was hooked, forgot how much fun it was to watch that little glider floating on the morning air with a watch in hand. Anyway any suggestions will be appreciated.

Best,    DennisT
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 53

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 09:14:45 PM »

Lot's of choices and paths you can take.  Are you interested in scale models or will an endurance type work for you?  What size flying field do you have access to?  Is there a club nearby that offers contests?  How big a plane would you like?  

Depending on your answers to the above I would start with a P30 or Embryo. There are nice kits and plans available for both. These are endurance classes. If you want scale the somebody else will have to jump in.  Smiley

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 09:38:37 AM »

In addition to your personal preferences, the best choice also depends on what events are flown at nearby contests. If dime scale is flown locally, that would be a good choice. I imagine the same is true of Bostonian. Nocal is also, IMHO, an interesting but relatively simple event.

Around here, our club flies several one design events. You might want to check with nearby clubs.

danberry
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 03:23:08 PM »

Build for P30.
Where are you?
stuntguy13
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2020, 05:26:42 PM »

I'm in south east coast FL. I understand that the Palm Bay group flies an event for the "Blue Ridge Special" which I understand is a lot of fun and the little ship is a very good flying ship. Sounds like just what I want to try.

Best,   DennisT
danberry
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2020, 08:01:47 PM »

The Palm Bay guys are who you need to hook up with.
Build a P30. You won't be sorry.
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 50

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2020, 08:22:55 PM »

Open rubber.
Use whatever you like and any size.
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 53

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 12:13:54 AM »

Open rubber.
Use whatever you like and any size.

Hard to find in the USA. Mulvihill would be the closest.

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
Red Buzzard
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2020, 12:23:37 AM »

Stuntguy,

Bless you Gossie. Over here one would fly Large or Small Nostalgia Rubber, Andrade Rubber (I call it mini-Mulvihill but who's counting), Mulvihill, P-30 or Old Time Rubber Stick or Old Time Fuselage. There are a couple of other classes depending on where and with whom you fly. The first three are National Free Flight Society classes, Mulvihill and P-30 are AMA events and the Old Timers are Society of Antique Modellers events.

Gossie closest analog over here is the Mulvihill class which lets you fly anything up to 300 sq. inches. Rubber that is.

You can check up this stuff on the web at the NFFS, AMA or the SAM websites.

Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: