Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 26, 2020, 10:41:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: B52?  (Read 548 times)
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 64

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: September 14, 2020, 12:29:54 PM »

Just been for a walk in the Cotswolds. I'm not much of a jet - spotter but I swear three B52 just flew overhead in the general direction of Fairford. Is this feasible?
Kevin M
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 12:37:52 PM »

Absolutely. USAF have 58 B52s still in service, and apparently 6 are currently in Gloucestershire.
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 12:50:16 PM »

Thanks Kevin. They made an impressive formation.
Merlinboy
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 01:41:34 PM »

Hi Bill/Kevin,

The 6 B-52H’s deployed at Fairford are from the 5th Bomb Wing and are normally based at Minot Air Force Base, North Dakota.

There is also a U2 Dragon Lady from the 9th Reconnaissance Wing, Beale AFB, California currently deployed at Fairford alongside the B52’s which is causing some serious interest amongst the plane spotting community!

Best wishes,

Paul
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 01:59:20 PM »

Quote from: billdennis747
Just been for a walk in the Cotswolds...
You should have stopped by for a coffee. Smiley

B-52s? Yes.  Been watching them fly in and out for the last 2 or 3 weeks. Usually only get to see them landing because of prevailing wind, but have seen a couple of "mass" take-offs, 3 or 4 one after the other.   The U2 has been hanging around since March* or perhaps a bit earlier.  Some not especially great video of it on finals -> https://vimeo.com/412075421 that I grabbed when we were out for a lockdown stroll.

I think the B-52s are heading home in 4 or 5 days.

*There's been U2 activity at Fairford off and on for years but it was always a bit intermittent.
dputt7
Titanium Member

Kudos: 97

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 10:25:11 PM »

OOOOOOOOOOOH! Bill  Shocked, you got me excited when I read the title, here am I thinking you had just started a Free Flight B52. I can just imagine wiring up 8 ducted fan motors, now a B-36, that's a thought.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 11:28:02 PM by dputt7 » Logged
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 03:22:36 AM »

Nice to know they are still around.  Thanks Lurk.  I would love to know just a little of the capability of the kit the U2 carries now given the advancement of technology.  Nothing of much interest here at the moment as air shows are cancelled.  We used to get the BoB flight and so on - now FI5s dogfighting, the occasional Typhoon and a rare F35. 
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 03:29:05 AM »

All I know about the current version of the U2 is that the nacelle on the top of the fuselage carries a satellite comms package which allows for real, or near real, time reporting of surveillance data.  Think the current airframes date from the 1980s, but don't take that as gospel.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 151

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2020, 03:45:46 AM »

All I know about the current version of the U2 is that the nacelle on the top of the fuselage carries a satellite comms package which allows for real, or near real, time reporting of surveillance data.  
So next time Bill goes for a walk in the Cotswolds, the CIA will know exactly where he went and exactly what he had in his picnic, and whether he’s a global security threat even before he gets back home. Cool.
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2020, 04:20:17 AM »

All I know about the current version of the U2 is that the nacelle on the top of the fuselage carries a satellite comms package which allows for real, or near real, time reporting of surveillance data.  
So next time Bill goes for a walk in the Cotswolds, the CIA will know exactly where he went and exactly what he had in his picnic, and whether he’s a global security threat even before he gets back home. Cool.
They won't because I've just made myself a tinfoil hat.
3view
Silver Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2020, 09:26:59 AM »

OOOOOOOOOOOH! Bill  Shocked, you got me excited when I read the title, here am I thinking you had just started a Free Flight B52.

Go for it Bill,  Chris Golds r/c B52 flew on rudder/elevator, plenty of stability with all that sweepback.

Went to an air display last Thursday here on Guernsey.  There was the BBMF Hurricane and a clipped-wing Spitfire, a pair of Yaks flying tight formation aerobatics. The Catalina was nice to see. Nice clear skies so the Red Arrows could fly the full routine.

Steve
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 151

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2020, 09:51:23 AM »

I think a Hurricane just flew over my mother in law’s garden while I was cutting the grass. Bit high to see properly and in the sun, but right silhouette and sound!
Kevin M
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2020, 10:10:20 AM »

Bad news Bill.....
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: B52?
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 62

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2020, 04:05:46 PM »

Quote from: Merlinboy
There is also a U2

This one. I snapped it this afternoon drifting back home. The U-2 is I guess unique going out - it's the only jet I can think of to be seen at height with a single contrail, making a disproportionate amount of noise, and which is like a star, in that it looks like a point of light with the naked eye and still looks like a point of light with x10 binoculars. Reminds me of when there were exciting 'planes around in the '60s/'70s.

Stephen.
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 73

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2020, 06:27:39 PM »

Bad news Bill.....

Grin  Grin
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2020, 04:56:34 AM »

"They won't because I've just made myself a tinfoil hat."

I don't think that will help because there were cases where wearing a tin hat concentrated the rays and caused brains to boil!

I would think GCHQ would intercept anything on its way to the CIA as they are just down the road.   but I must admit some of the things they are capable of today seems incredible - but makes me feel secure - after all I have done nothing wrong so as far as  am concerned - they can stop and search as they like - it is for my safety.

Yes Stephen - good times those for aeroplanes - everything was new and incredulous - today we just seem to take anything, no matter how amazing for granted.  Perhaps this is another reminder of how good the people were in the war at shooting other aircraft down.  With your own gun platform moving about like mad and the target trying to dodge you and keeping an eye out for someone trying to take a potshots at you, as some who were there have said it was a lot of luck! Maybe but they were still pretty good at it. Not like today - watching images on a screen and pressing button when prompted by a computer! Worrying in fact...........
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 05:08:40 AM by DavidJP » Logged
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 34

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2020, 09:20:54 AM »

It doesn't matter whether YOU think you've done nothing wrong. What's critical for you is what the CIA thinks. Suggest you paint YANKEE STAY HERE on your roof.

I have to admit that what's happened with computers and electronics is amazing. My PC, which was quite affordable, needs VASTLY  more software to bog it done until it boots up more slowly than my Apple 2E did. It flakes out more often.  The calculators HP sells are far more capable, but less useful, than an HP-42 from the '80s. (Mine recently died.) Smart phones are impressive, but not for people with fat fingers like mine.

As far as real, as opposed to imaginary and electronic, progress:

-Airliners are no faster than when I was born and look almost exactly the same.
-Where are the flying cars? (I would prefer the kind George Jetson drove.) The cars we have now aren't cheaper or faster than they were.
-Fusion power is still only 20 years away.
-There are no space colonies or moon base.
-I can't buy an ultralight motorglider for a price comparable to my car's.
-B-52's and U-2's aren't obsolete.

Harrumph! Everything was better back when my knees worked better, or at least that's the way I remember it. ;-)

TheLurker
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2020, 11:14:01 AM »

A couple of snaps from a few years back, B52s inbound to Fairford.

Would have posted these earlier but they'd been shunted to a back-up disc.  Small pocket point and click with a 4x zoom.
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 22

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2020, 12:24:40 PM »

I much preferred the taller vertical tail of the earlier (pre B-52G) versions...

Must have had a FF modeller (or two) involved on the design team---"shall we adjust the sweepback, or the dihedral or clip the fin?"  Grin

I was living in a remote area of NE Arizona (on the Navajo Indian Reservation) during the 1960s when there was a practice "bomb site" near Holbrook, Az. We frequently saw B-52s over the open areas of the "Rez" flying right on the deck at high speed as they did practice runs on the site.

Shades of Dr.Strangelove....

« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 12:34:54 PM by Indoorflyer » Logged
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2020, 04:04:53 AM »

Thank you Lurk for the “snaps” - particularly the first — stirred a few thoughts - can you remember where is was taken - probably imagination but I seem to recognise the steeple - one of the Towns whose name escapes me save I think it began with M........ lovely aeroplane the B52!
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2020, 08:55:02 AM »

Quote from: DavidJP
.... can you remember where ....
Oh very, very easily.  Smiley  Clue, almost exactly 3 miles, not quite due, east of the eastern end of Fairford's runway.  Smiley

The photos don't really convey how big they look even that far out from touch-down.  You feel as though you could almost reach up and touch them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: