Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 30, 2020, 03:07:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: RC guy trying to get into P30 rubber ff  (Read 291 times)
kitkid73
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: September 16, 2020, 10:29:25 AM »

Hi, I'm new to the forum and was wondering what is the best way to get started in P30,  I have plenty of experience in building larger RC models, and have worked with balsa all my life, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated 
flydean1
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 12:15:31 PM »

Suggest a Boomer p30 kit from Clint Brooks.  If you get the full kit, you have everything and won't waste time trying to run down miscellaneous bits of hardware, viscous timer parts, etc.

The wood parts are laser cut and fit perfectly.  He has a build manual that guides you by the hand.  It allows a first time builder to have a competition capable model first time out.  If competition is not your thing, a guaranteed flyable model first time out is a pleasure to fly for sport.
danberry
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 02:26:38 PM »

The first thing is tell us where you are so we can tell you if there is help near you.
kitkid73
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 02:45:24 PM »

I live in Trinity North Carolina, kinda the middle of the state
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 53

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 03:08:21 PM »

Flydean's suggestion of the Boomer III is excellent. It's an amazing kit.  Here's the link:  https://www.cbmodeldesigns.com/boomer-mk-iii.htm

The construction manuals which are available at the above link are excellent. Check them out.  The only downside is the cost.  There are less expensive options out there.

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
TimWescott
Platinum Member

Kudos: 16

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 03:46:12 PM »

I know that everyone has a different budget -- but the full-house Boomer kit looks like a good buy to me.  Once I knew what I was doing -- then I'd start screwing around!
duration
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 05:40:47 PM »

Kit,

There is a small group of folks flying free flight in North Carolina. Usually there are a two contests a year (Spring & Fall) at a sod farm. Also monthly test flying sessions . For more info visit the National Free Flight Society website at free flight.org. There are state by state listing of clubs. The library on the NFFS site has a lot of useful info on building and flying free flight. I urge you to join NFFS. The by-monthly magazine is loaded with information on all aspects of free flight. In addition, NFFS publishes an annual Symposium Report (the Sympo) the is filled with technical papers and other articles on all free flight disciplines.

Louis
kitkid73
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 07:48:49 PM »

I want to thank everyone for all the replies and to "duration" I am going to check out and join the NFFS, I need all the info I can get
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 53

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 08:32:30 PM »

I want to thank everyone for all the replies and to "duration" I am going to check out and join the NFFS, I need all the info I can get

Another resource with lots of P30 information is my website The P30 Page.  Do a web search and it should come right up.  

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
randoloid
Silver Member

Kudos: 9

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 06:47:15 PM »

From the info you've provided, it sounds like you are well versed in building and should be able to build any P-30.

I think it really depends on what your goals are.  If you are simply wanting to "dip your toe in the water" The Square Eagle available on Volareproducts.com is a quick build and good flyer.  The Boomer kit is as complete as any P-30 kit that you can find and has world-class documentation. The Boomer includes a completed fuselage and pylon attached so probably not the best choice IF you love the building process as much as the flying.

I grew up on the NC, VA border near Mount Airy and still visit several times a year - with my planes so if we ever get through this pandemic, perhaps we can get together for some flying. 

Whatever you choose, please share some build pictures and keep us up to date.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: