Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 24, 2021, 01:32:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Comet Stinson Reliant  (Read 3696 times)
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 140

United States United States

Topic starter
I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« on: September 17, 2020, 10:07:26 AM »

This is not going to be a proper build thread in the tradition guys are used to on this forum. I was in the process of getting rid of the kits I knew I'd never build, and this Reliant began to coax me into submission. One of my favorite models is a Comet high wing, the Aeronca K, it just has all the charm and charisma I like in a model. I want to approach this build in the same manner as I did the K, with maybe a little "crabification". So please check in if the spirit moves you as I go through the build process on the Reliant. Your commentary is always welcome from the sweet to the tart.  Also look at Paul Bradley's studious build thread of the same plane!
https://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=3779.0
Is my imagination or does this plane resemble a Lysander?
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Comet Stinson Reliant

The Threadkiller!
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 12:01:36 PM »

After looking over the lumber in this kit, I decided to cut the parts from the sheet, and all is going well. I can't help but think the guy who set up the print wood was a bit of a wiesen-hiemer though. this is a very hard sheet of 1/8. Call it a plank. Here is how he set up the wheel covers for a regular guy with an exacto, a box of band-aids and his mom singing in the kitchen cutting carrots with a paring knife. I got the last laugh though. Kids please try this at home before you cut your phlange tip off and scare your mom!
Re: Comet Stinson Reliant

The Threadkiller!
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 31

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 04:11:25 PM »

Yes. Quite.  Not at all helpful nor considerate.
I think I would have resorted to a pin chuck and fine drill bit.
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 04:19:12 PM »

I think I would have resorted to a pin chuck and fine drill bit.

Lurk, please advise on the above technique...

The Threadkiller!
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 03:07:08 PM »

Dead simple and a very old idea (even older than me) to boot.  Take one drill bit about one third to one half the width of the stupidly narrow gap.  Into a pin chuck and drill a series of holes as closely spaced as you possibly can along the centre line of the gap.  If they're close enough you can just, "Tear along the dotted line." when you're done.  Otherwise use the tip of a scalpel/exacto blade to gently cut away the tags holding the bits of wood together.  Then sand back to profile.  It's not a desperately fast way of doing it, but it does work.  I use the technique if I want to cut awkward curves in (thin) plywood.

Cheers,
Lurk

Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 11:16:17 AM »

No pain no gain. When I was a young balsa butcherer, cutting my fingers, this was the part that finally turned me off to modeling. I would dive into a project like this with a dull xacto, and an impatient tempo. I have been putting this specific part off since the day I saw them, 16 cowl bumps. I began by hot glueing a toothpick into the back and fiddling like Satan's protégé. that didn't work so I am now fingertipping the job. I will have the fingers of a safe-cracker when this is done, but I like the look of a handled model. Good thing I bought a Craftsman jig saw at a yard sale least year. I will be looking at Thee Olde Man's Mr. Mulligan when I begin the cowl. He used the thin foam from the bottom of a Schweppe's bitter lemon bottle. Very thin. I will post pics.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 11:34:42 AM by Crabby » Logged

The Threadkiller!
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2020, 07:33:06 PM »

Good evening to all!
If you have built this model I would really welcome your experience/(pics) with this area right here. Its a major beauty mark on this plane, and I would bet several guys/gals have several different approaches on how they wound up handling this. One thing for sure it would be bad place to get lazy.

The Threadkiller!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 188

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2020, 07:44:19 PM »

Nice bit of balsa sculpturing at the top of the UC. I was admiring the foam cowl on your dad's model when I noticed the lump of clay on the prop - very practical. It's been there for a while but still has that just placed look Smiley

Anyway nice work.

John
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2020, 10:15:52 PM »

HA HA HA HA!!! It looks like nose cancer to me. That plane was contest flown and he didn't seem to lose any sleep putting a nasty snot-locker on a beautiful dame like that Mulligan, just so long as she did her thing! As far as the Reliant, I was hoping someone had done that nice round upper area in paper and had a pattern, before I re-create the wheel!

The Threadkiller!
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2020, 12:29:47 PM »

I am referring to the Bradley thread now and then, but I still like the brain calisthenics of figuring out problems of my own. After building up the sides on the plan, I began to over think a solid jig for lining up the sides when I put the top and bottom formers in. That's when I recalled someone saying that George Perryman did a lot of his builds "in the air", so I set up a TV table with a couple tools and watched football while I joined the sides "in the air" it was fun and as square as it would have been had I been over at the bench. But it was fun. Not for trembly hands, and I find that a 30 minute meditation period is advisable before building a model, to let the clutter settle.

There are a lot of Reliants to choose from on the web and in Thee Olde Man's files, plus I can't wait to try the bow and arrow logo! Here is how Art356a did his
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 12:48:12 PM by Crabby » Logged

The Threadkiller!
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2020, 01:53:39 PM »

Building in air?  Crikey.  Brave fellow.

How are you planning to do the bow & arrer?
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 27

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2020, 03:23:39 PM »

Art's horizontally aimed "bow and error" is a later design that was used on the Voyager series. The Reliants had the upward/vertically aimed logo. A quick search on the web will bring up the different versions of the logo.
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2020, 03:32:39 PM »

Lurk lets just hope it not a bow & error!

True that Indoor Flyer! It is a pic of the Voyager tail. I have Arts Voyager. I was supposed to give it away at the next club fly, but I decided to keep it awhile. Its a hell of a nice model and I am gonna take her out in the tall grass for some hide and seek!

The Threadkiller!
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2020, 04:49:47 PM »

Over on Paul Bradley's site (linked earlier post) he posted a masterful build sequence with a lot of good ideas. One is the nose assembly jig which I made from the part templates sheets he included. You will notice J1 and J2. These are designed to keep the jig square and and if you take for granted they will just slip in the groove and automatically be square, ...... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Angry!   I eyeballed it square after I removed J1. If you attempt this model this is a great jig and you could even build in some thrust adjustments if you are very careful or very uncareful Roll Eyes  Angry!  Last pic is where I took the aluminum rod and coaxed a slight curve into the upper and lower longerons so to avoid a banana-type experience. I learned at a later age to be careful choosing my balsa for certain uses in the airframe.

The Threadkiller!
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2020, 03:29:30 PM »

State of the Stinson.
Fuse built per plan, looks like a Home Depot d.i.y. project on Budweiser. I ain't even gonna weigh it. I am, however gonna sand the B'jesus out of the thing. Must download fiddle music for that session.

Some things in the detail section of the pic are gonna be done over like the cowl bumps. I stumbled on a good way to do 'em I forget where and I can not wait to try it. I think the wheel pants are too skinny they are going on a carb diet starting tomorrow.

This build is relatively free of and superfluous Crabbification, but I need to find a lightweight material to skin the cowl with. I am worried about the weight

The Threadkiller!
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 67

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2020, 04:36:50 PM »

Nice work Crabby.  When (if) you redo the cowl bumps let us in on your other secret construction method.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2020, 06:55:59 PM »

but I need to find a lightweight material to skin the cowl with. I am worried about the weight
Depron foam or Vector board could be used if you have a simple framework underneath to take the rubber thrust loads.

It's much lighter than balsa but is also softer.

John
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2020, 03:33:52 AM »

Quote from: Crabby
I think the wheel pants are too skinny...
I dunno, they have a charming, "Flash Gordon" aesthetic which I find quite appealing. 
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 75

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2020, 12:02:48 PM »

Enjoying watching the build, Crabby ... I was given a slightly battered kit of the Stinson over 15 years ago. That also has plank wood, but watching your build has made tracing the parts a more attractive prospect.
TimWescott
Platinum Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2020, 08:49:39 PM »

I have been putting this specific part off since the day I saw them, 16 cowl bumps.

Eh -- sixteen cowl bumps?  Shouldn't that be seven or nine times two, depending on which engine was in the prototype?
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2020, 10:24:01 PM »

sorry professor, I stand corrected, and thanks for stopping in!

The Threadkiller!
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2020, 10:46:02 PM »

Ok I read this on the Paul Bradley build as well. You cut a balsa blank a little wider than the cowl bump, 3/16 x 5-6", sand it to the tear drop profile, then round the ends to the correct shape. Figure out a jig so you can cut them all the same height. As you go be mindful of your profile, hitting it with the sanding block to keep things true, chances are you will not be perfect in sanding a consistent profile. The nice thing about this is you got something to hold onto, making the tedium a little less tedious. Yes I am still missing one or two.

The Threadkiller!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2020, 08:00:43 PM »

It looks effective Crabby! Neat idea from Mr Bradley.

John
dosco
Platinum Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2020, 05:35:45 PM »

MMMmmmm.

Am enjoying this build. Something about some of those Comet designs ... looks like too few wing ribs (but it's not). I built an Avenger, way back when, that I presume was designed around the same time as this particular bird.

Keep it rolling, man.

-Dave
bobson
Silver Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2020, 11:12:40 PM »

Nice assembly line for the cowl bumps Crabby and great build! Looking forward to seeing more progress.

Oliver

Oliver
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: