Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 05, 2020, 07:40:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Comet Stinson Reliant  (Read 2088 times)
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 139

United States United States

Topic starter
I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2020, 04:59:26 PM »

I wont lie, it took 3 efforts to get the hang of doing cowl bumps. I had to slice one, then reshape the profile as I went. I also had to make a slicing jig in order to get the height uniform. This is a great way to do cowl bumps, because its like the only way. Its not even easy, but it kept me from biting my nails while I watched football on Sunday. I will say this about this kit...this particular one was put together in the transition period between die-crushed and CAD cut. It was beautifully printed on some of the hardest balsa I ever dealt with, BUT everything goes together like puzzle pieces. no drama yet. Here I got going with the wings, and yes I love these old Comet designs and I agree they probably need more wing ribs. Its your workbench after all!
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Comet Stinson Reliant

The Threadkiller!
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2020, 10:33:45 PM »

Here is the wing. Despite intense internal pressure to so the usual laminated tips I did the built up version as the kit dictates. The bottom stringers are 1/16 x 1/8 and add good compression strength, but I am fighting the urge to add another across the top from the second rib out to the tips. The right half is about a half a gram heavier than the left so I have to deal with that. This plane is going to be a bit of a porker, the fuse and the wings doing about 13.5 gr. I can see why a guy might go for electric. The peg is going to go up maybe 2 bays. It might not be a contender, but it ought to be a sight doing circles in the sky!

The Threadkiller!
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 67

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2020, 03:34:28 PM »

So is there not a top stringer on the wing?  If not, will you get the 'starved horse' look?

Also, which game(s) did you watch last weekend?
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2020, 05:39:54 PM »

Don, the plan does not call for it, but that does it I am going to do a top stringer. What's a pound to an elephant?

Games? I watch 'em all I have the NFL game ticket thing, where you can watch 'em all. I usually watch the Bears if I have time for the pain, but the Seahawks have been a pain antidote for me lately.

The Threadkiller!
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 67

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2020, 08:39:23 PM »

Hi Crabby,

I don't think I've ever made a wing without a top stringer, so applaud your decision. 

And hoping the Seahawks can do better this weekend.

Don
PaulBrad
Gold Member

Kudos: 37

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2020, 11:15:52 PM »

Crabby - You will be very happy you added a top spar to the wing. It makes a huge difference in the span wise bending strength. That is very important when you have one of those "landings" that involve a wing tip strike with the ground. Don't ask me why I added a top 1/16" spar on my version of the Comet plan Smiley. I can also confirm you are very correct about the pleasure you get from seeing the model circle over head regardless of the total duration. The Comet Stinson looks great in the air.

Paul Bradley
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2020, 06:47:04 PM »

Thanks for stopping in Paul. The deed is done. The other hi wing Comet kit I built, the Aeronca K also has no top stringer, and it is a little starved horsey. That said it is very pretty thing to behold in the air.You can actually stand there and drink in all the rewards for the building, fixing repairing, trimming. I had Earl Stahl and Dave Platt sign the fuselage.

The Threadkiller!
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2020, 06:12:31 PM »

Small progress on the Reliant, I managed to do the stab and rudder last week. BUT it wouldn't be progress without the compulsory set-back. The rudder was a misfit. I had to roll the bottom piece to conform to the top fuse spar. I guess I have to figure out the LG next. I really hate it when the undercarriage gets ripped off, but I also hate "building for the crash". I am thinking about something that will break away clean Pay no attention the direction the pic is facing it will auto correct if you click on it.

The Threadkiller!
flydean1
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2020, 09:03:34 PM »

Hopefully, the wide plank in the photo is not the rear peg location.  If so, it needs to be moved way far forward.
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2020, 09:46:19 PM »

I knew that would get you on here! No the peg is going up two bays but I am glad you reminded me to put it in.

The Threadkiller!
flydean1
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2020, 01:59:17 PM »

You're welcome Grin
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2020, 10:22:39 AM »

Here's the hang up... I am in a perpetual loop over the landing gear. Habit tells me to use a LG wire passed thru the fuse for shock absorption, but that means not fixing the upper fairing to the fuse, so the whole apparatus can spring back. Then looking at the long nose, and thinking of a crash, the nose should take most of the beating before the LG gets abuse. That makes me want to do this splendid carving and glue it on rock solid. Then I imagine the mess if it all gets ripped off in a crash. What you see is a paper template of the upper end of the appendage where it should fair nicely into the fuse.

The Threadkiller!
strat-o
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2020, 11:54:18 AM »

That is a dilemma and I don't have an answer for it.  Just that I think the Sterling kit solution was to make it rigid by providing very stiff wire gear.  I think too that the upper fairing, being made of plastic, had a bit of give.

Marlin
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2020, 12:39:04 PM »

It is one of those "details left to the builder" dilemmas.  Further complicating the issue: the wing strut "appears" to attach to/or through that big beautiful upper gear leg fairing...

Maybe the fairing needs to be two parts, one solid to the airframe, another that nestles close, but can move with gear flex?  

Perhaps a "slot" could be incorporated into the fairing, to allow gear flex.

PaulBrad
Gold Member

Kudos: 37

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2020, 02:05:20 PM »

I also struggled with the decision on how to best mount the landing gear legs. I finally took the easy way out. I made up a piano wire landing gear core. That was mounted to the fuselage between two balsa plates that are parallel to the bottom fuselage longerons. The fairings were then sandwiched over the piano wire legs. That does not allow for any for and aft flex and really limits the side flex. I decided to live with that as the model is light and doe not produce a lot of force on a hard landings. Mine has logged many flights. I did manage to crack one of the gear leg fairings below the fuselage blend fairings. The piano wire central leg prevented any real damage. A few drops of Ca on the crack and she was ready to take flight again.

Paul Bradley
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 64

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2020, 02:17:33 PM »

The u/c on this might be worth considering
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=709
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 188

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2020, 06:16:28 PM »

Nice looking model and what a neat solution. I was actually thinking of using silastic for a similar approach with the UC on a HE71A. I think that would be a good way to go.
mentioned by Indoor.

John
Richard Hewitt
Bronze Member

Kudos: 5

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2020, 06:16:34 AM »

Also the McHard Gladiator, https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=7 offers a solution - he moulds the fairings from thin plastic and leaves a discreet slit at the rear so the legs can flex backward upon "arrival".
ghostler
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2020, 05:26:35 PM »

Here is the wing. Despite intense internal pressure to so the usual laminated tips I did the built up version as the kit dictates. The bottom stringers are 1/16 x 1/8 and add good compression strength, but I am fighting the urge to add another across the top from the second rib out to the tips. The right half is about a half a gram heavier than the left so I have to deal with that. This plane is going to be a bit of a porker, the fuse and the wings doing about 13.5 gr. I can see why a guy might go for electric. The peg is going to go up maybe 2 bays. It might not be a contender, but it ought to be a sight doing circles in the sky!

Just curious, but when I built the Comet kit in 1966, it mounted the wing halves on each of the sides of the fuselage. Are you just holding the halves together as they were one? As I recall, the inward curing gull leading edge graced the front edge of the cockpit window topside on both sides. It was an interesting way that they mounted the wing forward slightly to compensate the center of gravity for the heavier radial piston engine of the day.

Nice craftsmanship, by the way.

George Hostler
Clovis, NM, US
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2020, 10:58:37 PM »

Hi George thanks for stopping in. I apologize for that misleading pic. I was just holding the two halves together to check if my dihedral jig was effective. When you lean a root in rib to effect the dihedral, it doesn't look like much. I am still meditating on an efficiently springy landing gear married to a solidly-mounted arty looking bit of "balsa sculpture" that won't break off "upon arrival". After reading Paul Bradley and others' posts I am probably over thinking the whole affair. I really don't expect any hard landings. It is, however a beauty mark on this plane and could be an Achilles Heel as well if a little shock absorption isn't considered.

The Threadkiller!
ghostler
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2020, 11:07:37 PM »

Hello Crabby, OK, thanks for clarifying the wing. Comet didn't have a really good method of a landing gear on most of their aircraft that could reasonably withstand landings. Appears to be more of a cost move.

One is left to engineer their own. I built their 18" wingspan P-40 fifty years ago, made a non-scale landing gear that was fuselage mounted similar to control line using music wire.

George Hostler
Clovis, NM, US
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2020, 09:53:40 AM »

Good am guys and thanks for stopping in to check things out. I feel a little less un-creative when I see the slot in the back, and then the rubber transition approaches. I had though of those ideas and had them back burnered in case I didn't come up with something more elegant. But...now that I see those sameish approaches done by wizards of the art, I feel emboldened. Here is the impressionistic approach Thee Olde Man employed on his Mulligan. Some of his planes remind me of what Rita Hayward  said about herself: "They sleep with Gilda, and then wake up with Rita". That means the sum of all the imperfections equal majestic beauty in dim light or at a distance. That is just a piece of mis-guided humility, meant to imply she was simply a very plain person who could dupe men with a little make up...But I like women better without all the make-up. AND...his tricky method like Rita's does the trick. That is the strangely thin foam-plastic that was used in a airline first-class menu as a divider of some sorts. On the other side not pictured he has the LG leg attached to this membrane and it would give upon landing then the wire would unflex, tautening it back up. What a bunch of mad scientists we are.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 10:06:36 AM by Crabby » Logged

The Threadkiller!
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2020, 09:57:04 PM »

HA HA HA HA I just re-read what I typed this am.... Wifey must have slipped something into the tea this morning bless'er heart!

The Threadkiller!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 188

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2020, 01:46:35 AM »

Cheesy It was a bit puzzling! You wouldn't be a screen writer by any chance Crabby? Wink

John
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2020, 08:57:46 AM »

OK I hope everyone had a pleasant Thanksgiving Holiday. Its back to the Reliant. I made a decision to carve out some landing gear "legs". (1) I made a sanding jig to get the upper part angled to blend into the fuse, and maintain the angle out to the wheels. Then I glued a block to each from which to carve that "teardrop" blend. I glued them together making a UFO looking thing and sanded and fiddled it into a somewhat eye-pleasing shape. The use of shaping sticks and rods in several abusive grits down to 3000 grit to get it polished. I hereby promise to stay on track and not drift off into the ether. Straight Earl Grey from here out! the pics aren't in perfect order but if you have a question I am delighted to answer!

These legs will glue modestly to the fuse, and the wire LG will hide behind all that and do its springy thing on less than elegant landings. On the really bad crashes where I do something absent minded, the leg (or legs)should break off at the fuse joint. Now for some surgery to insert the wire LG. I have a Crabbication brewing.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 10:42:53 AM by Crabby » Logged

The Threadkiller!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: