Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 01, 2022, 07:17:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1/20th Avro 504 N/O  (Read 6669 times)
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 167

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: May 27, 2021, 11:56:35 AM »

But a silly idea really, how could I bring it inside the Nijmegen hall, let alone fly it there...
You saw right through my plan to stop you winning! Oh well, can’t blame me for trying.

Seriously though, it is already an incredibly impressive piece of model engineering. In reality I can’t wait to see it at Nijmegen!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 12:08:02 PM by Pete Fardell » Logged
g_kandylakis
Gold Member

Kudos: 64

Greece Greece

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: June 18, 2022, 03:47:16 PM »

More than one year!

Unbelievable... I thought it was 5-6 months ago...

Much like Chris with his Avro Tutor, I am about to restart dedicated work on the "N".

A lot has happened since, a summer, then a house move, some less demanding (and more fun) models in between...

• PZL 24 finished, now in test flight mode, weather permiting
  • a CO2 indoor fun model, Gym Dandy (Brown A-23) built and flown
  • two (yes, two!) profile models almost done, pictures will follow in the appropriate thread
  • full overhaul of my AVRO F, to correct some accumulated flight testing damage, before aqcuiring a new set...
  • not worth mentioning maybe, but after many years, I did start a new peanut, got up to the fin and rudder, then guilt overtook me.
  • and so, for no real reason, a Keil Kraft Senator was started two weeks ago, just so that I do not get my hands on the Avro...This thing is huge, compared to my usual sized models.

It is about time to get the thing rolling again.

Of course, summer vacation is also coming, so there will be a break again. And then, hopefully, Nijmegen, another break, etc...

No, no chance for Nijmegen 22, not even in my dreams.

I haven't been completely idle though, I did continue on various individual tasks which had to be dealt with Some involved a bit of CAD work.

Not much to post yet in terms of photographs, but they will follow in due time.

Plug for nose panel vacuum forming was finished, a suitable base for the different orientations was also made.

A vacuum forming session followed, not a good one, it even damaged the plug, so back to repairs...

A second session went better and I now have a set of yet unprocessed, but formed plastic panels, to represent the metal on the real thing.

Dummy engine CAD construction has been completed, a first preliminary 3-D print was made as a test, revealing a number of hidden errors, an updated construction model awais final control before a second print.

The landing gear front legs, with the suspension, have been finalised and I hope to start with them as soon as I get some aluminium tubing I ordered.

So, for now, just the finished vacuum forming plug...

George
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: 1/20th Avro 504 N/O

scale free flight & micro RC
Squirrelnet
Titanium Member

Kudos: 62

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: June 18, 2022, 03:53:44 PM »

Very pleased to see the 504N continuing too ...

A superb model model already . I'm thinking of a similar technique for my Tutor for the nose cowling - watching with interest
g_kandylakis
Gold Member

Greece Greece

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: June 20, 2022, 09:18:05 AM »

Thanks Chris...

Well, all I could do now was to photograph the formed panels as they are.

Once I finish some nose details I will get on with attaching them. Some will be removable for easy access to the inside (battery insertion, electronics tray removal for insection etc.

Will have to figure exactly how on the way, as usual...

Last pic could be a T-rex nose...

g_kandylakis
Gold Member

Greece Greece

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: June 20, 2022, 09:20:19 AM »

and two shots of the first test dummy Lynx engine.

Only one cylinder printed for now.

George

RolandD6
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: June 21, 2022, 12:36:53 AM »

and two shots of the first test dummy Lynx engine.

Only one cylinder printed for now.

George

A nice looking print George.

What printing process are you using?

Paul
g_kandylakis
Gold Member

Greece Greece

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: June 21, 2022, 05:06:56 AM »

Hi Paul,

the above was printed at work. We very recently bought a formlabs 3L (Low force SLS) and these were some of the first samples printed.

The person responsible for the printer is not fully aqcuainted with it yet, so the print is not the best it can be.

However, when the time comes for the final prints, I am going to use the Shapeways service. Much better and finer print quality and resolution. The method there is material jetting. The cost for the entire engine should be around 30 Euros

The problem with the formlabs method is that the parts have to be printed at a slanted orientation by definition. So, 0,2mm thick cooling fins with 0,3mm distance, do not come out as straight as if printed flat. Shapeways parts come perfect in that regard...

https://www.shapeways.com/materials/fine-detail-plastic

George

RolandD6
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: June 21, 2022, 06:16:52 AM »

Thanks for the info George. I suspected something like that. I had some OX-5 cylinder banks printed locally by a bureau using perhaps the same process (forgotten details). Pricy but an excellent job. I have not used them yet in a model. Perhaps one day.

Paul
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: