Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 30, 2020, 10:09:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tell us about your Indoor FF Mentoring  (Read 115 times)
bjt4888
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: October 13, 2020, 02:58:22 PM »

The NFFS Education Committee is interested in learning about your Indoor FF Mentoring (or, if you have an interest in mentoring).

Items of interest include: where you're located, how long you've been mentoring, events (ex. CLG, F1N, Limited Penny, Science Olympiad, etc.) and a general description of your program.

Thanks,

Brian T
cglynn
Gold Member

Kudos: 9

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 02:01:28 PM »

I teach high school science and have been fortunate enough to have been offered a position teaching aeromodeling as an extra curricular.  The major focus of my program is indoor duration flying.  The participating students meet twice a week for approx 60 mins after school.  Each meeting starts with a quick demonstration of a particular skill or how to build a certain part of a model.  I usually start with the wing and stab, then the prop, then fuse/motorstick, and lastly final assembly.  We try to get each part of the model built each session.  Models usually take around 4-5 weeks, working around 2 hours each week.  I have reserved Gym time once a month for participants to gather, fly, and test their creations.  The subsequent afterschool sessions are spent fixing, rebuilding, modifying, and improving previous models, and building models for other events.

The event progression I have been using is Double Whammy (flat wing/plastic prop/veggie bag covering) into Limited Penny Plane.  Some students opt to convert their DW to an LPP, others build their LPP from scratch.  The Banks and Gowen designs and their variants have been working very well for us.  Once they have built and flown the LPP, I feel that my students have the skillset to build and fly just about anything, and allow them to choose their event path.  Some stay focused on the LPP, while others try A6, F1L, and No-Cal.  I have had students express interest in F1D, but I have not had any build one as of yet. 

This is my 6th year running this program.  I have had students establish and break records in F1L and A6.  The Jr. A6 Cat 1 and 2, and Jr. F1L Cat 2 records are currently held by one of my participants.

We are located in the western suburbs of Cleveland, OH.
bjt4888
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 11:43:14 AM »

Cglynn,

Sounds like a great program. Students really enjoy seeing something that they made with their own hands fly, don't they.

I've been remiss in not offering a description of my program too. I'll get something written this afternoon.

Brian T.
cglynn
Gold Member

Kudos: 9

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 02:10:12 PM »

Brian,

It is indeed a great program.  I have noticed that many of my students treat it as an experience, rather than a commitment.  They will build their first model, test fly it in the cafeteria, (which is good for nothing, as the HVAC is always on in there...our gym sessions are much better as I can turn the HVAC off and models can fly in still-ish air) and then I never see them again.

I would say about 50% of my kids leave after their first model.  Those that make it to two models usually stick around for a couple of years. 

Unfortunately, I have had 0% of my students participate in indoor flying after they graduate.  I keep them apprised of our flying session dates, and allow them, as alumni, and other community members to join.  Non have returned.  Of course that could be because the majority of my students head to college, and building in a dorm room is not for the less than completely dedicated.  Perhaps after they graduate and establish themselves in their chosen career paths I will see them at an indoor meet.

Still, I would love to find a way to get some of my students to become life long indoor participants.

CG
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: