Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 08, 2021, 03:46:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Avro 534A Water Baby ~Build~  (Read 4443 times)
ZK-AUD and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
kkphantom
Silver Member

Kudos: 9

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: April 06, 2021, 04:32:32 AM »

Have you tried banana oil?
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 162

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: April 06, 2021, 03:17:02 PM »

Yes, I've used banana oil as well as Ezedope, and non-shrinking dope at various times. They all have their plus points I know. I've kind of come back to ordinary nitrate shrinking dope though lately. Mainly I like the way it properly tautens the tissue, and doesn't go baggy again in humid conditions (like banana oil) and doesn't get the tissue all soggy as you apply it (like Ezedope).
Also, the smell of proper dope always takes me back to my happy place!
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: April 11, 2021, 06:16:59 AM »

Shrinking dope arrived so I slapped on two thinned coats. I think I got away without much warpage by holding down the more delicate parts with rocks.

Straight on to the colour then, which is Xtracolor ‘RFC Doped Natural Fabric’ as recommended by Mike Stuart. I’ve used this a few times now and I love the way it sprays on so lightly and easily when thinned about 50/50. None of the airbrush clogging sludgy bits I seem to get with Humbrols.

Here are a few pics before I mess it all up with the lettering. Uncovered model was 60g. Tissue (almost the last of my plain Esaki), 2 coats of dope and the spray finish have brought it up to 75g.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Avro 534A Water Baby ~Build~
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 06:32:52 AM by Pete Fardell » Logged
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Kudos: 56

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: April 11, 2021, 08:19:00 AM »

That's looking really good Pete, love the linen finish. Also a fan of Xtracolor thanks to Mike, I don't understand why Humbrol paints are so thick !
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: April 12, 2021, 01:08:34 PM »

Thanks Chris.
I’m ploughing on with the lettering- a job I always dread a bit as it’s so easy to botch.
This time I decided to make masks using low tack Frisket film. As it’s low tack, I wouldn’t trust it not to let the paint seep with a spraygun but the advantage is that you can very easily position and reposition the mask until you’re sure it’s in the right place. And I can use it again. So, instead of spraying on the black, I’ve just filled the letters in with a Sharpie- outlines first using the mask and also a straight edge here and there. Then I just coloured  them in. I’m pleased with the fuselage letters. Better than my usual efforts with decal film anyway. Wings next.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: April 18, 2021, 05:35:31 AM »

Finished off the lettering this weekend. I decided that it would pull a full 6 Gs as nearly all the contemporary photos of aircraft with Gs on the rudder seem to have them on the tailplane too. The size and position of the wing lettering is guesswork. Apart from G-EACQ (Hinkler’s Baby) there are not many clear photos of Avro Baby wing lettering, and there’s not much consistency between the photos I did find. I think it was usually done at the whim of the chap employed to do it. I’ll be ok so long as no one finds another Water Baby photo where the wing letters are visible. I used the the same low tack mask/Sharpie system for all the letters. Here are a few pics.

Next job is the cockpit interior, coaming and windscreen I think, best done before I fix the wings on forever and rig it.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 06:52:37 AM by Pete Fardell » Logged
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: April 18, 2021, 06:47:24 AM »

Looks spectacular Pete. Worth all the extra G's
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: April 18, 2021, 07:35:38 AM »

Umm, sorry, but it's really not clear where was this aircraft registered.  Smiley

Looks good Pete.  Don't want to rush you, but the weather is usable for trimming at the moment...
cvasecuk
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: April 18, 2021, 07:44:59 AM »

Gee, that looks good!
Ron
g_kandylakis
Gold Member

Kudos: 58

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: April 18, 2021, 07:50:53 AM »

Turned into a beauty, Pete, a chubby one but with plenty of character...

You might have mentioned it before, I will search, but how much is the wing area?

Two observations-suggestions:

If you are patient-careful enough and spray only light coats at 90 degrees to the surface and the mask, and there is no liquid paint built up on the surface, there will be no bleeding under the mask.

Second, the floats have been given two coats of varnish, right? Try on a scrap piece first, giving a third coat as well. My experience is that the first coat gets soaked by the wood. The second starts showing the color and the third unifies the color as well as gives a slight sheen, as varnish would be. Weight gain should be minimal. I usually varnish as a sample a piece of wood progressively: 1 coat 100% of the surface, 2nd on 80%, 3rd on 60%, 4th on 40%, 5th on 20%, so that I have a reference on how the coat will look like...

So, we are all waiting for the videos, I guess...

George

scale free flight & micro RC
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: April 18, 2021, 08:21:28 AM »

Thanks guys, you’ve really geed me up!
George; excellent advice as always. I’ve just calculated the wing area at about 1149 cm2 (611 top wing, 538 bottom wings). So 11.49 dm2.
I agree that the floats could use a bit more sheen. I’ll do as you suggest. One day, on another model, I’ll grit my teeth and spray masked letters too. Good tips; thank you.

Lurk, yes the trimming weather is indeed good but I won’t rush. Once completed it will still need to put in its allocated “don’t want to break it yet“ shelf-sitting day or two. In any case, there is already a small queue of untrimmed or partially trimmed models forming at the Fardell Aerowerkes so I have plenty to be going on with.

(Talking of flying, anyone else planning on going to Buckminster tomorrow?)
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 75

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: April 18, 2021, 01:00:19 PM »

Looking good Pete ... will it pull all those Gs without struts?

John Ashmole mentioned a FF scale meeting in a club email ... it has passed me by. I'm going to try to get out there tomorrow.... as usual, hardly anything ready to fly  Undecided I'll take my camera hopefully.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: April 18, 2021, 01:11:00 PM »

Russ, it’s just one of the informal “Free Flight Mondays” meetings which Mike Smith announces a couple of days beforehand depending on the weather forecast. You need to get on Mike’s ff scale email list to avoid missing them.
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: April 18, 2021, 01:29:12 PM »

I thought I was on a free flight scale list somewhere .... luckily there is a regular group from my club (Peterborough MFC) on a Monday at Buckminster, so a visit is regularly on my mind  Smiley
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 42

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: April 19, 2021, 02:38:22 AM »

Your Baby is looking really lovely Pete!!
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: April 28, 2021, 05:26:45 PM »

Thanks Jon. Getting quite close now. Last few sessions have been spent doing a few faffy jobs that are always more time consuming than I expect: Control horns, lots of little wire loops for the rigging, balsa added to the wire cabane struts, extra coat of dope on the floats as recommended by George, and I also made the windscreen and cockpit coaming. This last I did by cutting a ring of thin balsa and putting it in a sandwich of brown tissue (on top) and tracing paper (underneath to stop it breaking up). Then I darkened it a bit more with a brown pen and stuck it around the rim. The inner ring of the tissue was cut with an overhang so I could bend it round under the cockpit lip. Worked quite well.
Tail, wings and struts are now all lightly glued on. Ready for rigging!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 05:41:00 PM by Pete Fardell » Logged
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 67

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: April 28, 2021, 05:42:38 PM »

It's looking good Pete. How did you treat the tissue in the end? Diluted Marmite? Camp coffee?
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: April 28, 2021, 05:51:39 PM »

It's looking good Pete. How did you treat the tissue in the end? Diluted Marmite? Camp coffee?
Even more radical: 2 coats of proper dope and a spraying of thinned enamel (Xtracolor 'RFC doped fabric') applied with an actual airbrush. No foodstuffs used at all this time!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 07:05:42 PM by Pete Fardell » Logged
Tim Horne
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: April 28, 2021, 06:31:06 PM »

The Baby is looking very stylish now Pete. I think the colour works very well too.

I’m sure I could find out by re-reading the thread, but is this intended for indoor or outdoor? Either way you’ve finished it in good time for outdoor trimming.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: April 28, 2021, 07:04:22 PM »

Thanks Tim. I had indoors in mind when I started, but I hope it will be okay outdoors too. I intend to trim it outdoors anyway.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: May 04, 2021, 02:01:36 PM »

Rigged!

Just needs an instrument panel and a pilot and I’ll call it done. More pics tomorrow when it’s got them.
Invader3
Silver Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: May 04, 2021, 02:43:21 PM »

Pete, that is just lovely!     The rigging really sets the model off beautifully.
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: May 04, 2021, 02:48:58 PM »

Look forward to the 'More pics tomorrow' bit but that is looking cracking. That linen paint works so well ... do we have to flood Bushfields for the maiden flight ?
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: May 05, 2021, 08:42:15 AM »

Another model full of character, Pete   Smiley
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: May 05, 2021, 09:45:22 AM »

Thanks chaps! Yes, all indoor venues to be part flooded from now on please.
I’ll post some finished pics this evening but, meantime, here are the last details I did last night and this morning: instrument panel now in situ, and a pilot. He’s (very) loosely based on Avro’s illustrious test pilot, Roy Chadwick.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: