Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 05, 2020, 08:17:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: First indoor FF build progress, started as an A6 but now not so much.  (Read 212 times)
haversin
Copper Member

Kudos: 2

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: October 24, 2020, 01:35:25 PM »

Broke A6 rules for the prop. It's 8 inches in diameter and uses 1/16” foam blades.
Wanted to have an adjustable blade angle prop so made a tissue tube hub for the prop spars to fit into.
For the MS I used 1/16 x 1/4  7#. If it starts to buckle under motor load I might try reinforcing it on one side.
The pigtail on the thrust bearing is non-functional in terms of being able to wind the prop shaft on to it.

Weight breakdown so far:

MS, thrust bearing, washer,
prop shaft, rear hook:           0.35 g
Tissue tube hub:                   0.04 g
prop :                                  0.44 g

It's at 0.83 g already! Oh well live and learn.
I want to test this with rubber to see if it works so I guess the next step is making a rubber winding jig.

Russ
First indoor FF build progress, started as an A6 but now not so much.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
First indoor FF build progress, started as an A6 but now not so much.
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 04:50:39 AM »

Unless you're trying to fly it in your living room, I suggest you relax about the weight. Depending on what the span is, you may find that the 8 inch prop makes it hard to trim. You might consider bending up the end of the rear hook to keep the rubber from falling off.

It looks like you're doing a good job.

haversin
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 01:43:30 PM »

Thanks lincoln.
When I started this build I thought there would be access to a large indoor flying area, now it looks like that's not the case. The design goal then changed to optimize flight for my formal dinning room. My wife and I never do any fancy dinning so this room is almost empty. It's 14.5' x 25' x 9' The 14.5' is going to be problem so lot's of steering!

I don't have any FAI rubber yet so I cut an ordinary rubber band to get a single strand of 5” x 1/8” x 1/32” rubber that weighted 0.5g. After 100 turns there was about 1/8” of lateral bowing in the MS. Going to glue a 1/16” sq stick to the concave side of the MS to reinforce. Also at 100 turns the front thrust bearing was bending in and down causing a bend in the prop shaft. I'm going to glue a small balsa triangle in back of the front thrust bearing support wire to reinforce that.
Onwards and hopefully upwards.
Russ
haversin
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 11:55:39 AM »

The reinforcements to MS and front thrust bearing support wire increased weight by 0.14 g. I probably over did here.  Tried to sand down prop blades to 1/32” but before getting that thin, small pin holes started to appear in the foam. I don't know how much these pin holes would reduce thrust but I stopped sanding. Weight of the prop was reduced by 0.07 g. Going to try to make a 1/32” square outline and cover prop. Finished wing and covering. It has a 12” span (flat) and 2 7/8” cord with 5.4% camber. The covering is from the lightest produce bag found so far: 6.0 g per square meter. Thinking a simple dihedral for this wing. Working on a wing mount that allows angle of incidence and the forward and back position of the wing on the MS to be adjusted. The latest rubber motor is 1/16” x 1/32” x 8” and weights 0.47 g including string and rubber cement for splice and end loops. The dark coloring on the rubber is graphite lubricant. It sort of works, will try a thicker coat.

Current weight break down:

covered wing:                        0.43 g

MS, thrust bearing,washer,
prop shaft, rear hook and
tissue tube hub:                     0.52 g

prop:                                    0.37 g

Russ
Re: First indoor FF build progress, started as an A6 but now not so much.
haversin
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 03:18:04 PM »

Well it's finally finished. Not very pretty but it's all mine. The final weight is 1.54 grams with out the rubber motor. I was hoping to beat the A6 limit of 1.2 grams. A lot of weight can be taken off the wing and motor stick.

This build was fun but I made a lot of mistakes: right thrust instead of left thrust, broke the center wing rib when it stuck to my hand after pre-glue, but the mistake that really pisses me off is gluing the wing posts to far apart on the motor stick. I measured this five or six times! I wanted to be able to lower the wing until it touched the motor stick. My thinking is to have the vertical cg position be just above the thrust line to reduce the nose up torque during higher thrust. I wanted to reduce this nose up torque because of the 9 ft ceiling. Is this thinking wrong?

It took a long time to decide how big to make the fin and stabilizer. I ended up using 1/3 the projected wing area for the stabilizer and 1/8 for the fin. These values are rough rules of thumb from the old 1941 book “Model Airplane Design and Theory of Flight ” by Charles H. Grant. The length of the boom was a total WAG.
The cg was placed at 33 percent of the wing mean cord based on a recommendation from the book “Model aircraft Aerodynamics” by Martin Simons. The equations in Appendix 1 of this book were used to calculate a static margin (sm) of 5.4 percent. In the example calculation of sm given in the book the author called  7 percent  “Hot” which I guess means my airplane is real hot!

I'm currently making test glides with out the prop. A small blob of silly putty with the same weight as the prop was placed on the hub. So far I'm encouraged, however it's turning right not left.

The last attached photo is cover art from “Model Airplane Design and Theory of Flight ” many of you have probably seen this before, but I really like it.

Russ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: