Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 05, 2020, 01:58:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mounting bolts/screws for Mills 0.75  (Read 180 times)
jerryCashman
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: November 10, 2020, 06:04:39 PM »

Hello people - please excuse the dumb question - I'm looking for little machine-screws/nuts-bolts to mount a Mills 0.75 (probably Indian if that matters) but don't know their diameter ... Our local model shop is gone so I will need to purchase online so I  need to be able to confidently say "M1.2mm" or 1/16th (or something). What size (diameter) fits please?

(And does anyone know of a supplier of said tiny machine-screws in Aus please?)

Jerry Cashman
Canberra. Oz.

RolandD6
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 09:04:53 PM »

Hi Jerry

I cannot help you with the size of screws you need except to suggest you measure the hole diameter using a set of small drills or even a large tapered needle and a micrometer. Insert the needle until it stops and mark its position relative to the hole edge on the underside then top side of the mounting lugs. Some times such holes can have a slight taper. Use the micrometer to measure the needle diameter at the marks.

Possible suppliers in Australia are:

https://www.microfasteners.com.au/

https://www.australianmodeller.com.au/collections/screws-washers-nuts

https://www.smallparts.com.au/store/partscombtab/machinescrews/?v=1446

I have purchased from Micro Fasteners and Small Parts although the latter seem to be moving out of that type of business. Other model railway shops are a possibility and there may be one in Canberra.

Ebay merchants in Australia are another possibility. Recently I purchased some 0-80 x 1/16" socket head grub screws from an Australian Ebay merchant with a very happy result.

Be aware that you may need to purchase a reasonable quantity to get a reasonable unit price. In the case of the grub screws, one unit would have cost me $4-50, 100 units would have cost me a bit over 50c each.
I ordered 20 and the unit cost was about $1-20.

Hope that helps

Paul
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 64

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 03:29:36 AM »

I have always used 6BA for original Mills 75 and I assume the Indian will be the same. You can easily find equivalent conversions on the interweb. Worth noting that many engines of similar size need smaller screws, in which case I use 8BA. You may find it best to use a metric screw the next size smaller than 6BA
I try to stick to BA sizes because the rest of the engines I use (Mills, ED etc) eg comp screw, shaft, are BA sizes
jerryCashman
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 09:36:02 PM »

Thanks Bill and Roland - much appreciated.
Jerry
Tim Hooper
Copper Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 04:04:33 PM »

Don't shoot me, but I'm using 2mm on my Mills .75

Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: