Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
June 23, 2021, 01:12:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Nassise Cookup  (Read 17433 times)
atesus
Gold Member

Kudos: 29

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #500 on: February 24, 2021, 10:41:07 AM »

Ates- Are you planning to make the contest at Waegell Field this coming weekend?  Forecast looks windy for Saturday, 17mph gusts. Better for Sunday, 9 mph. Temp supposed to be in hi 60's to low 70's.

Hi Dan, there is talk of moving the contest to Sunday, but a final decision has not been made yet. Keep an eye on the OCD website.

Ates
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

Ignore
« Reply #501 on: February 25, 2021, 08:46:32 AM »

Morning Ates - Been windier than a fart in a hurricane here in the valley since yesterday, and forecast is for the winds to remain high (higher) thru Saturday.  But if things calm down Sunday and you plan to be there I'll swing by to at least say hi and see what gems you have with you. I can bring the MO-1 to test, and the Guardian for show n tell. Don't have a prop yet for it. Problem is finding a nylon thrust bearing that will fit the hole that was laser cut in the nose plug. I've reached out to Dumas and Easy built to see what the dimensions are of the thrust bearings they have.

I have the fuselage sides sanded and ready to start joining them. I think I may dig out the mag board for this part of the project, otherwise I would need to grow a couple extra arms to hold things together.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Nassise Cookup

"Curse you Red Baron!!"  - Snoopy
kenludd
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #502 on: February 25, 2021, 09:34:42 AM »

Like your box o' gussets Dan!

Project Update - Have all my framework complete. Now onto the sanding! (and a few more gussets)
Wings went together well - the laminated TE bend worked out easier than i feared, happy with my washout results.
Jug in a Jig! (just wanted to say that)  I got some small hair pin clamps; dremeled out the inside larger to allow the stringer to pass through. Allowed me to position and glue. I hate CA.
Right now before sanding im at 20gs. a bit heavier than i hoped for - but they dont call it a Jug for nothing!
hopefully i can stay around 25gs when complete.  Whats that wing load formula again?

Planning on doing a Checkertail Clan variant...
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #503 on: February 25, 2021, 11:23:50 AM »

SCORE!!!

In less than 3 hours I received a response from Doug at Dumas, and had so.e thrust bearing gs and props on order!! Woo-Hoo, now That is customer service!! As soon as they arrive I can finish making the prop for the Grumman Guardian.

atesus
Gold Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #504 on: February 26, 2021, 03:28:18 PM »

Morning Ates - Been windier than a fart in a hurricane here in the valley since yesterday, and forecast is for the winds to remain high (higher) thru Saturday.  But if things calm down Sunday and you plan to be there I'll swing by to at least say hi and see what gems you have with you. I can bring the MO-1 to test, and the Guardian for show n tell.

Hi Dan, the contest has officially been rescheduled for Sunday by the CD. I'm planning to be at the Waegell field from 8:30-9am on. I'm hoping to trim the Nassise-Nardi if the winds calm down for a while, as it is presently forecast. I'll see you there if you can make it.
--Ates
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #505 on: February 27, 2021, 06:40:36 AM »

I plan on being there Ates.

Will bring the MO-1, Guardian, and a couple others that I haven't tried to fly yet, as well as a couple that have flown.

Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 163

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #506 on: February 28, 2021, 08:09:42 AM »

Glorious day again, so off to the field with the Comper Swift. Calm blue skies, woodpeckers pecking in the trees, dung heap quietly steaming in the sunshine, and the grass soft and not too wet. Perfect!

Nothing too ambitious today as it was my first flying for months and I was determined not to end it with the model in a tree. 300 turns gets it away. As you can see it slides off left a bit on launch (off-kilter tailplane perhaps) and then flies right. I added a bit of tail weight to tame the nosedivey glide, experimented with thrust settings a bit, gave it a few goes and then came home. I’ll try a less powerful, longer motor next time I think.
Couple of pics and videos...

https://youtu.be/RPAfFEMoq1M

https://youtu.be/Rb85wizQSYc

(I’ll let Ian decide if these little flights justify it being ‘redded in’ on the list!)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 09:47:49 AM by Pete Fardell » Logged
MKelly
Platinum Member

Kudos: 107

Ignore
« Reply #507 on: February 28, 2021, 10:44:03 AM »

Nice flights Pete, the Swift looks good up in the sky.

Mike
PB_guy
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #508 on: February 28, 2021, 12:22:53 PM »

She's a real beauty Pete! Even in-flight photos get the red highlight, and you provided both.
ian
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 75

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #509 on: February 28, 2021, 02:25:50 PM »

Enjoyed the initial flights ... it will be great when proper flying meetings can happen again  Smiley
PB_guy
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #510 on: March 01, 2021, 12:17:02 AM »

P51A Mustang:
 This shows the wing-mounted machine guns and landing lights. I glued on the pitot tube and the bomb mount pylons this afternoon. It took a few days to do the glazing, fitting individual windows. I formed some light plastic over the same mold I used for the bamboo canopy. I used steam and boiling water to form the plastic to shape. I just finished the last piece tonight - that picky little window just above and in front of the pilot. (held on with a piece of masking tape while the glue dries).
ian
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #511 on: March 01, 2021, 05:20:44 AM »

I apologize in advance for no flight pictures, just the aftermath. Two very short test flights on the MO-1 of 3-500 winds. Level flight, gentle right hand turn, but second landing sliced the landing gear of slicker than snot through a goose!!
Thanks to Ates for the advice on how to strengthen the fuse/gear joint.

Was a rough day at the field as I had taken 6 models with me in addition to the MO-1. Had one motor break and damage the tissue on one, and three others had motor issues. The Gizmo Geezer jammed up on another one.

It proved that I have a great deal to learn about motors. The motor issues where from motors made over a year ago when I knew even less than the zero I know now. All were too weak, except for the MO-1 which I made 2 days ago. So, I have some work before the next outing.

PB_guy
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #512 on: March 01, 2021, 11:28:54 AM »

Sorry to hear about the trouble with the MO-1. Good to hear that you are getting back in the saddle with your fleet of beauties. Hope to see a pic of it sailing through the air.
ian
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #513 on: March 02, 2021, 07:26:18 AM »

Thanks PB_guy. I was very pleased with the initial test flight of the MO-1. Started work on building new motors yesterday using info gathered on this thread. But then when I had to pry a couple strands of motor that had stuck together, I remembered reading something in Ross's book about "lube".  Dug out the book and read the chapter on "Rubber". Except for no alcohol or petroleum product and boiling simple green, not really type or brand specific.

So I googled "Rubber Motor Lube".  Sigh, now even more confused than before. Got at least 6 different sources, as many formulations and even more brands.

HELP?!?!?!?!?!?!?

dosco
Platinum Member

Kudos: 14

Ignore
« Reply #514 on: March 02, 2021, 08:37:52 AM »

Thanks PB_guy. I was very pleased with the initial test flight of the MO-1. Started work on building new motors yesterday using info gathered on this thread. But then when I had to pry a couple strands of motor that had stuck together, I remembered reading something in Ross's book about "lube".  Dug out the book and read the chapter on "Rubber". Except for no alcohol or petroleum product and boiling simple green, not really type or brand specific.

So I googled "Rubber Motor Lube".  Sigh, now even more confused than before. Got at least 6 different sources, as many formulations and even more brands.

HELP?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Rubber lube is like snake oil. Everyone who cares a lot about it has their own version or "likes."

If you're into sport flying, you may want to follow one of the simpler formulations. I vaguely recall the Wakefield guys using some sort of commercially available, automotive silicone grease stuff ... they'd assemble the motor and put it in a plastic bag with this silicone sludge.

Have you used the "search" function on this board? Might be useful.

-Dave
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 67

Ignore
« Reply #515 on: March 02, 2021, 08:43:41 AM »

There seem to be at least two concurrent threads on this subject so we are saying all the same stuff again x2.
BG
Platinum Member

Kudos: 85

Canada Canada

Me with F1B - epic retrieval (flew 10km after DT)

Ignore
« Reply #516 on: March 02, 2021, 11:04:55 AM »

If you are just sport flying then go to the local automotive place and get some Armour All ... it is silicon based and does the job. Just spritz some in a baggie with your rubber motor in it, rub the motor in the bag to spread the lube everywhere, and then pat the motor down with a paper towel to remove excess. Done! go fly.

BG

CEO,Chief designer, production line manager, factory worker, shipping and customer service manager, and janitor at Hummingbird Model Products.
PB_guy
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #517 on: March 02, 2021, 11:42:06 AM »

I concur with Bernard. I have used the same bottle of Armor-all for years. After doing the baggie routine, I take off excess with a rag that has a bit of armor-all on it so it doesn't go dry.
ian
Walt
Bronze Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #518 on: March 02, 2021, 11:30:47 PM »

Hi all- is it too late to join in?  I have started Mike’s Cessna Airmaster dimer.  I built a few of these in the past.  It has been a great flier.
Wally
PB_guy
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #519 on: March 03, 2021, 12:28:49 AM »

Walt, you have been added to the list.
ian
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #520 on: March 03, 2021, 04:50:51 AM »

Yup, I used the search function on this board. Smiley  First search using "lube" resulted  in almost zilch. Trying the next day with "rubber lube" resulted in the thread about eze wind. Thanks.

For some reason I was convinced that armor-all was petroleum or alcohol based and therefore anti-rubber. I have a bottle so will give it a try.

Dan Snow
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #521 on: March 04, 2021, 08:20:33 AM »

Progress on the fuselage for the Broussard.

alfakilo
Bronze Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #522 on: March 04, 2021, 01:16:10 PM »

Let's call this one done! The desert color scheme is a mixture of E and F model variations, mostly just what I liked. The tissue was printed on white Esake using a Canon ink jet with water soluble ink, and this made tissue shrinking difficult as the colors easily ran and got blotchy. After a couple of redo's, I put the tissue on dry and as taut as I could and then used butyrate dope to tighten things up a little (dope having no effect on the colors). This was minimally effective.

Looking forward to warmer weather and longer grass!
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 75

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #523 on: March 04, 2021, 02:05:43 PM »

That looks great, alfakilo  Smiley
PB_guy