Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
June 23, 2021, 01:44:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Nassise Cookup  (Read 17435 times)
dputt7
Titanium Member

Kudos: 102

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #600 on: April 10, 2021, 08:51:33 PM »

Tim (IHB) dropped around the other night for a Show n Tell and a Coffee. All I can say is they look even better in real life than they do in the photos. Well done Tim.
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #601 on: April 12, 2021, 04:41:29 AM »

More progress on the Broussard. The covering is on, went better than expected. Next up is getting the clear coat and then the decals applied, as well as fabricating landing gear and wing struts.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Nassise Cookup

"Curse you Red Baron!!"  - Snoopy
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 163

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #602 on: April 12, 2021, 05:02:22 AM »

That’s looking lovely, Dan!
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 75

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #603 on: April 12, 2021, 08:29:34 AM »

Very nice, Dan  Smiley
MKelly
Platinum Member

Kudos: 107

Ignore
« Reply #604 on: April 12, 2021, 12:10:34 PM »

Coming together very nicely Dan.  Did you find sufficient pictures to do the Portuguese scheme?

Mike
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #605 on: April 14, 2021, 05:36:28 AM »

Thank you for the kind words folks, I humbly appreciate it! Smiley
Mike,
I mostly followed the scheme I found, however it is a complete guess on the wing as I couldn't find any pictures of the top of the wing. There was one shot in those you sent me, thank you, that showed the red cross roundel on the underside of the right wing. So, what the hell, I'm going to put one on the top of the left wing as well and call it a day.

Once I get the windows installed I can attach wing, tail feathers and wing struts along with ventral antenna and it'll be ready, "Gulp!!", for flight testing.

P.S. - This might be the last time I try to use decals. They do NOT like to stick.  Next time I'm going to try printing on the tissue again.

MKelly
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #606 on: April 14, 2021, 09:52:02 AM »

That looks great Dan!  A decal setting solution like Solvaset can help get the decals down tight.  That said, I've come to prefer printed tissue markings.

Good luck with the trimming - mine flew well on two loops of 3/32" rubber.

Mike
atesus
Gold Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #607 on: April 14, 2021, 01:19:13 PM »

Looks great Dan!
bobson
Silver Member

Kudos: 10

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #608 on: April 18, 2021, 09:37:06 AM »

Got a video up on YouTube of a series of trim flights on the first day out with the Bellanca last month in Wawayanda, NY:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKHvQCsSoUo

Surprisingly easy to trim -- I was worried with the relatively high-pitch balsa prop and short tail moments but Mike knows how to design models that fly. Hope to fly it again soon, this plane is so much fun to get in the air.

Oliver
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 163

Ignore
« Reply #609 on: April 18, 2021, 10:06:50 AM »

Wow! Lovely to watch those Bellanca flights, Oliver. It looks great in the air.  I’m jealous of all that treeless space. Thank you for explaining your trimming process as you went too.
PB_guy
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #610 on: April 18, 2021, 12:31:59 PM »

Looks Great Oliver! Yellow wings fly better.
ian
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #611 on: April 20, 2021, 04:41:13 AM »

PB_guy, I'm calling the Broussard finished. But sadly, unless I can figure out a cure, it may never fly! Sad Sad Sad

Why, you ask? Well, I guess I done screwed up. After getting it fully assembled including wing struts and making the motor, I decided to give it it's second coat of clear to seal everything. Only thing I can figure is it was too heavy a coat, as the wing warped badly. It ended up with major washout on the left wing and zero to maybe a touch of washin on the right. I'll dig out the steamer and give that a go, but not real optimistic.

Another reason is I didn't pay enough attention to weight during the build and it ended up a rather portly 52g.  Shocked gives a wing loading of about .74g/sq in.

But I am happy with how it turned out. It was fun to work through the challenge of modifying the fuselage and making small detail like the radiator, scoop, venturi and steps.

THB
Gold Member

Kudos: 27

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #612 on: April 20, 2021, 07:32:35 AM »

Oliver - those Bellanca flights are just great to watch - each alteration you made makes sense and you can see the results. Nice work. Dan - congrats on the Broussard!

I can now add a flight video for the Bristol https://youtu.be/GTz4YE4AJ9Q.  it was a bit gusty. And we were a bit off trim for sure! I had some better flights - and some worse ones too - but this is the video I have thanks to son Hugo!

I do not have a video for the Yellow Cab. It flew really well straight off the board. Third flight on good winds it hooked a thermal and just kept going UP. Hopefully Mike was watching!

cheers
Tim

Tim
"Life is what happens while you're busy making other planes."
bobson
Silver Member

Kudos: 10

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #613 on: April 20, 2021, 07:53:16 AM »

Broussard looks really good Dan. I like the color scheme and hope you're able to work out the warps.
THB, the Yellow Cab already went OOS??! That's what Embryos tend to do but still... Bristol looks promising. Glad it didn't nose-dive too hard in the gusts.

Oliver
PB_guy
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #614 on: April 20, 2021, 12:39:37 PM »

Sorry about the difficulty Dan. But congrats on the finish. Of course, you could remove the wing and recover and reassemble, or rebuild just the wing in entirety. But all that is in your ballpark, not mine. It is an attractive plane that I might like to attempt some day.
ian
MKelly
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #615 on: April 20, 2021, 05:55:53 PM »

Don't give up on the Broussard Dan! 

If you've got a Monokote heat gun you can heat the wing panels while gently twisting them back, then hold them for a minute or so after removing the heat.  I've successfully removed (and added) warps and washout on several models using this technique. 

Was the 52g with or without rubber?  If without, it should fly ok on two loops of 1/8", or maybe a loop of 1/8" plus a loop of 3/16".  Won't be a floater, but you can still have some fun with it.  It came out looking really nice - it'd be a shame not to see it in the air.

Mike

Dan Snow
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #616 on: April 20, 2021, 07:06:11 PM »

Thanks Mike, will give t he heat gun a try. The 52g is with motor. It is one I had made for another model I think 4 liops of 1/8th. Is that too much?

MKelly
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #617 on: April 20, 2021, 10:28:38 PM »

Assuming your empty weight is about 40g two loops of 1/8" should be fine.  Give it a shot!

Mike
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 141

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #618 on: April 20, 2021, 11:17:44 PM »

That’s great advice Mike. Dan if your heat gun will stand straight up on its own, turn it to med high and hold the wing over it while twisting. You fingers will tell you how close. Don’t try directing the heat gun by hand instead hold the wing over the airflow and for Pete’s sake keep it moving! Good luck!

The Threadkiller!
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 77

Jon Whitmore

Ignore
« Reply #619 on: April 21, 2021, 02:15:43 AM »

Nice flights Oliver, thanks again for suggesting this cook up.

It ended up with major washout on the left wing and zero to maybe a touch of washin on the right. I'll dig out the steamer and give that a go, but not real optimistic.

Dan, definitely give it a go - you might find it flies in spite of the warps. In fact it sounds like all the warps you have will give left roll effect. Try flying it in tight-ish right circles with plenty of right rudder and the warps may just give you the correct 'hold off' aileron you would need anyway.

Jon
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #620 on: April 21, 2021, 04:48:59 AM »

Holy Moly, Batman!!

About 20 seconds with the heat gun then holding the twist for another 20-30 seconds and the warp was GONE!! Hope to get it out for a trimming session this weekend! And the repaired MO-1 will be out as well.

Thank you Mike Kelly, Yak 52, Crabby, PB_guy for all the encouragement and advice. And to anyone I missed, Thank You as well.  I really enjoyed figuring out how to implement my version of Mike Kelly's design enhancements.

P.S. Mike, the weight without prop/motor is 37.4g The prop is 8"

THB
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #621 on: April 21, 2021, 06:18:13 AM »

THB, the Yellow Cab already went OOS??!
Yes - I followed it for a while - but was still going up when I lost sight. It was a great flyer!

Ian - Please mark me down for a flight video (Bristol) though I hope to post a better one later on!

Tim

Tim
PB_guy
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #622 on: April 21, 2021, 12:37:04 PM »

Congrats on the flight Tim. Sorry about the Cab.
ian
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #623 on: April 21, 2021, 08:31:23 PM »

So sorry to hear about the OOS THB. I can honestly say that the last OOS I had was a Goldberg Ranger 30 almost 60 years ago. Flying with my Dad at Rogers Dry Lake in California. It had a Cox .020. I t was during a contest and the Air Force had one of their optical tracking rigs there for the contest. The Ranger was last seenin a thermal at approximately 2000 feet headed up and southwest!!

THB
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #624 on: April 22, 2021, 05:05:07 AM »

Dan - Woah! - 2000 feet! I'd be excited by that. I reckon I'm happier to have an airplane disappear into the sky than rot in the shed where it ends its days because I dropped a box of rubber on it :-)
I've done that too.
Tim

Tim
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27   Go Up
Print
Jump to: