Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 19, 2021, 11:18:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Nassise Cookup  (Read 8427 times)
kkphantom
Silver Member

Kudos: 9

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: January 13, 2021, 06:52:32 AM »

Nice work Pete, how did you attach the silver tissue trim? I presume the usual, 'dribble thinners through it' method is a non-starter with silver.

Gary
kkphantom
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: January 13, 2021, 06:57:17 AM »

The usual masterpiece Mike. I'm so glad I haven't put up any photos of my effort yet!

Gary
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 162

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: January 13, 2021, 08:59:48 AM »

Nice work Pete, how did you attach the silver tissue trim? I presume the usual, 'dribble thinners through it' method is a non-starter with silver.
No dope. It’s all done by using a wet brush skooshed around on a Pritt type glue stick, and then the watery goop applied to the area it’s going onto or sometimes to the letter itself. If it gets damp I expect it’ll all fall off.

Mike, another gem! Your models always somehow look even better than the sum of their parts. Superb finish as always.
MKelly
Platinum Member

Kudos: 106

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: January 13, 2021, 10:40:54 AM »

Pete, Mike, beautiful models.  I'm finishing up a quick Guillows (!) fun build this week, hope to start the Beaver next week.

Mike
bobson
Silver Member

Kudos: 10

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: January 13, 2021, 11:05:12 AM »

Wonderful finish Mike! That hi-pitch plastic prop should give it a good motor run.

Oliver
PB_guy
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #330 on: January 13, 2021, 12:36:35 PM »

Looks great Mike! And another gold star!

ian
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Nassise Cookup
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 75

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: January 13, 2021, 02:05:52 PM »

A marvellous model, Mike  Smiley

Mike Nassise's designs seem to capture the essence of an aircraft ....and can be made to look even better with the minimum of additions.
I will have to take on one of these US colour schemes one day ... I would be happy if I could get anywhere near the quality of your finish.
Kevin M
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: January 13, 2021, 03:04:17 PM »

Pete, Mike, both very attractive models. I'm sure M.N would have been very impressed with what you have done with his designs.
Marco
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: January 16, 2021, 04:42:55 AM »

Hi all. Congrats for the completed models, they are very nice.
The build of the SAI207 is complete. No pilots have accepted to fly it , though, so the cockpit is empty. You know, it is 1943 and it is difficult to find someone willing to confront P47, P38 and Spitfires behind a 750HP engine and two 12,7mm machine guns....It will take a while before the first flight tests, weather is very cold and wet. I will post some video as soon as possible

Marco
PB_guy
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: January 16, 2021, 01:06:55 PM »

Looking good Marco! Brave pilots are indeed hard to find.
ian
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 77

Jon Whitmore

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: January 16, 2021, 05:36:18 PM »

Very nice work Pete, Mike and Marco  Smiley

Current state of affairs with the Fairchild is shown below. It's about 2.5g at this point.

Somehow I've made a booboo and printed it out to give a wing span of 13.5"  Roll Eyes
So it is now Peanot Scale.
PB_guy
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: January 16, 2021, 05:59:57 PM »

Mustang: I have been working slowly on some skins printed on light tissue in the RAF colours Dark Green and Ocean Gray. I have printed off the tail and wing topside skins. They are still attached to the carrier sheets for protection. I have to print off the lower wing and stab skins yet. Then the fuselage. We will see how well they work out in practice.
ian
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 139

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: January 16, 2021, 06:48:21 PM »

Nice work there Marco!
I always liked the lines of that plane! Looks simple and sweet. I still have one in the dock to move before I can do mine! model looks like a born flier!

Jon, was that as simple as it looks?

The Threadkiller!
LivingRoomFlight
Silver Member

Kudos: 16

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: January 17, 2021, 04:32:53 AM »

Looking very nice Marco, like a dangerous army machine and definitely not like a toy! Wink Is the whole thing printed and if yes, did you water shrink it / krylon? Need to try this printing stuff one day, but have so many questions Cheesy

FF - flying first! - building second.
Marco
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: January 17, 2021, 11:48:13 AM »

Looking very nice Marco, like a dangerous army machine and definitely not like a toy! Wink Is the whole thing printed and if yes, did you water shrink it / krylon? Need to try this printing stuff one day, but have so many questions Cheesy
Well, in this case I  had just around some paper of the right color, only the white parts have been painted with a rattle can. In my experience, when using printed tissue, the issues are two : if the tissue has been printed by a laser printer, the toner may almost seal the tissue, expecially if the colors are dark or dense, so it might be difficult to shrink the paper. If the tissue has been printed with an inkjet printer, colors are very susceptible to water and care must be taken to avoid that a wonderful camo scheme suddenly becomes a confused blur of an undefined color - I have been there already....
LivingRoomFlight
Silver Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: January 17, 2021, 12:01:12 PM »

Thanks for the info Marco. Seems as not the best idea to do this, I always want a good water shrink for the washout, so that not only tissue is wet, but also wood below. Hope it will behave nicely, looks like a flier!

Yak 52
Titanium Member

Jon Whitmore

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: January 17, 2021, 04:54:09 PM »

Jon, was that as simple as it looks?

Pretty much Rob. I re-drew the wing and fuselage in CAD because the plan was wobbly. But it's basically as MN drew it.
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 75

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: January 17, 2021, 06:13:19 PM »

Nice work Marco, Jon and Ian  Smiley

The Fairchild looks very light.
atesus
Gold Member

Kudos: 28

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: January 17, 2021, 09:06:31 PM »

What a beauty Mike, very inspiring!

Marco, very attractive model, beautifully done. Italian aircraft designs from that era (and also the French ones) have this "je ne sais quoi" in my view (OK, maybe "non so cosa" for the Italian ones - thanks Google Grin). To me, the epitome of this is the C.202 Folgore for the Italian designs, and the Caudron racers for the French ones.

Jon, your Peanot class Fairchild reminded me of the time I printed the X dimension of the Broussard at 0.8x by mistake while keeping Y at 1.0x and ended up with a fat Broussard. Luckily yours has the right proportions Cheesy.

Ian, are you printing with Durabrite inks or equivalent? If not, how are planning to shrink, seal etc? I, by mistake (lack of proper research actually) got an Epson Ecotank printer, thinking that all Epsons use Durabrite ink but it turned out this one doesn't Angry. I hear others use steam with success to shrink non-Durabrite printed tissue, I should try it sometime.

In other news, Nardi is coming along. I realized that I made a mistake by applying the serial numbers and the insignia, before doping. This caused some wrinkling of the underlying tissue. And the overall tissue job is not as good as it could be, but I'll live with it. At the moment I'm debating whether I should make the wing removable or not. I should decide on it tonight and start doping and putting the panel lines on, which is something I'm dreading for fear of ruining everything at the last moment.  Smiley Early CG estimates lead me to think that I'll need to carve a propeller. I'm thinking of installing a 8.5" prop on this model. That's what I have in the picture.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 09:29:05 PM by atesus » Logged
PB_guy
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: January 17, 2021, 09:22:28 PM »

atesus, your model looks great! The Nardi looks finished already! I am using HP standard inks. The black won't run when wet (all lines are black), but the colours will, so I am experimenting on shrinking with steam on a sample first. Worst comes to worst, it won't be shrunk. Finish will be sprayed-on to seal, either krylon or 'dope' (nitrate lacquer).
ian
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

Ignore
« Reply #345 on: January 18, 2021, 07:27:02 AM »

Looking great Atesus, up to your usual great level of work!! 

Gives me incentive to get back to work on the MO-1. Had to miss the last few days due to a bout with CPPD.

"Curse you Red Baron!!"  - Snoopy
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Jon Whitmore

Ignore
« Reply #346 on: January 18, 2021, 08:05:41 AM »

Jon, your Peanot class Fairchild reminded me of the time I printed the X dimension of the Broussard at 0.8x by mistake while keeping Y at 1.0x and ended up with a fat Broussard. Luckily yours has the right proportions Cheesy.

Cheesy

I'm aspiring towards 'check twice, cut once' but perhaps I need to start with 'check at all, build once'. Baby steps...
LivingRoomFlight
Silver Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #347 on: January 18, 2021, 09:17:58 AM »

In other news, Nardi is coming along.

Really nice result, canopy framing looks great!

atesus
Gold Member

Kudos: 28

Ignore
« Reply #348 on: January 18, 2021, 01:04:44 PM »

In other news, Nardi is coming along.

Really nice result, canopy framing looks great!

Thanks but actually it is not really as great as it looks on the picture. I used standard printer paper covered with tissue and some thin clear acetate I happened to have. I should have used heavier weight paper or even better, card stock, and thicker acetate. Well there's always the next model Smiley  --Ates
LivingRoomFlight
Silver Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #349 on: January 18, 2021, 03:17:04 PM »

Well there's always the next model Smiley

Yes, that's one of the nicest things about this hobby!

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: