Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 19, 2021, 09:26:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A1 International postal competition  (Read 2173 times)
RalphS
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: December 02, 2020, 07:10:02 AM »

Spotted in the "Clarion" newsletter.  See pages 38-40.  Good prizes.
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 68

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 08:43:32 AM »

Thanks Ralph - I managed to overlook that completely. I like the rules - even I will have a shot at 30 and 60 second maxes!
USch
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 12:17:35 PM »

Hi Ralph,
can you make a write-up of the rules and how and when's, so we, not Clarion readers, can have a look and decide eventually to participate?

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 52

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2020, 12:36:05 PM »

Urs

You can get the Clarion easily by going to the SAM 1066 website and downloading the latest issue (December 2020). Easy peasy as the saying goes! I'd give you a direct link but I've forgotten how. Roll Eyes

Peter
USch
Platinum Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 12:39:51 PM »

Thanks' Peter, I appreciate your effort  Smiley

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 12:57:47 PM »

http://www.sam1066.org/nc1220.pdf
USch
Platinum Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 01:08:02 PM »

Here is it. Hope it's legible.
Click on the "enlarge" button to read it better.

Urs
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: A1 International postal competition

Fast up-Slow down
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 06:22:11 PM »

Note that this is for Classic A/1s designs....not open slather-and since A/1 didn't really emerge into the english speaking limelight till the mid 1950s-[whilst being already well established in the Scandinavian countries]-there is not a great deal of choice in suitable designs in the english modelling literature. Personally I would go for the APS 'Aiglet' as a good performer. IMO it would have made more sense to use the decade of the 60s rather than the 50s for suitable designs-both A/1 and Coupe designs proliferated considerably in the 60s compared to the 50s.

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2020, 03:48:14 AM »

I've just been looking at La Mouette and it strikes me it has a lot of wing incidence, combined with negative tail. It reminds me of the Inchworm, which I had to modify (raise the wing TE about a half inch) before it would work. I never understood how it was published/kitted like that. Has anyone experience of La Mouette?
I really wanted a Flying Enterprise but it's 6 months too young! As Chris says, a lot of nice A1 designs in the 60s but I do understand that the rules were formulated to match the BMFA Classic glider rules.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 04:22:31 AM by billdennis747 » Logged
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2020, 04:10:32 AM »

If I change the text yet again, maybe the computer will stop blocking this post. Sigh.
I have a plan for the Jetstream from the Nov. 1960 American Modeler. So if it's an A1, it ought to be ok. A quick search with dates on Outerzone reveals 15 models, most of which appear to be A1's from the right era.

I expect there are a bunch of qualifying designs here:
http://volarlibrementegliders.blogspot.com/search/label/Nordic%20A1-%20F1H

Maybe some in here:
http://www.samitalia62.it/Thumbnails/archivio/trittici.html
and here, scroll down for vellegiatore:
http://www.riviste-di-aeromodellismo.it/files/links_interni/i_disegni/ind_ge_tipo.html
some of these qualify, I  think:
http://www.sam78.cz/apr_list/samlist.php?type=1&orderby=rok
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2020, 04:11:59 AM »

P.S. Computers allow us to waste time faster than ever before. 20 minutes of computer wrassling to post one lousy picture.
RalphS
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2020, 06:48:47 AM »

Thanks everyone who spotted that I didn't provide the essential link.  I thought that I had pasted it. Huh

Thanks Lincoln for the plans shown on your links.  I don't know if they are all eligible.  If anyone has any queries I suggest that you look at the Clarion article as mentioned in reply #5 and contact Stuart Darmon, who is running the competition if you need more information.

The only Classic A1 that I have ever built was John Barker's Downbeat.  I have to confess that I didn't like it and quickly scrapped it.  No doubt others may think it is good. 

I tore a muscle/muscles 18 months ago towing up my more modern A1 at one of our Tatton Park contests and vowed never to tow another b..... glider ever.  As Covid is still in charge I might be tempted with something simple.

Ralph

cvasecuk
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2020, 07:26:10 AM »

Bill, I built a La Mouette when it was first published and have fond memories of it. I built another in the early 90's but it flew away from Woodbury Common. A third one was built about 20 yeears ago. I have just got it out of the loft and looked at rigging angles. The wing is exactly as shown on the plan but the tail is at zero relative to the fuselage.
Ron
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2020, 07:57:37 AM »

Thanks Ron. The plan is on its way
flydean1
Platinum Member

Kudos: 30

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2020, 10:52:57 AM »

I have a Jetstream on order from BMJR.  Built one as a teenager from the Ambroid kit.  Lost it after a few flights due to my Rube Goldberg arrangement failing to start the DT timer when the line dropped off.

Met Warren Kurth many years later.  Great gentleman.  I feel I owe it to his memory to build another...and finally get the DT timer to work properly.
stugliderguy
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2020, 02:39:29 PM »

Hi everyone, Stuart Darmon here (late to my own party as usual). Thanks for spreading the word Ralph. Just to pick up a couple of points people have made...we chose designs published between Jan. 1951 and jan. 1961 (including the '59- '61 Zaic yearbook) because there is already an 'open' (i.e. no area limit) Classic glider class in the UK to these dates, which is quite popular and works well. It's up to the competitor to prove the model is eligible, so please check before you build!- this might sound pedantic, and it does exclude some models that were unarguably around in the fifties but not published until later, but it's actually the simplest way to do it fairly.
We don't get bogged down in arguments about when so- and- so flew such- and- such. There are actually a lot of A1 designs which conform; I just counted fourteen flicking through a couple of Zaic yearbooks and there are lots on Outerzone & elsewhere on the web. Also,remember it doesn't have to say A1 on the drawing, any glider of less than 18 sq. dm. total area from the right era counts. Speaking of which, John Barker's 'Downbeat' was from 1964, Ralph!
As for 'sports injuries'  and other hazards of glider towing, remember that there's no weight limit on Classic A1- we did that for a reason! 4 OZ. gliders don't glide significantly better than 5 1/4 OZ. ones, but they are an awful lot easier to tow up in calm weather. If you don't fancy running, choose a design with not much wood in the tail end, build it light and then sand it some more, and cover the stab in the thinnest outdoor Mylar you can find. The Aiglet is a great aeroplane but hard to get below 5 OZ because of it's long tail moment and short nose- which of course were a good idea back then with the area loading rule. I would also highly reccommend Spectra towlines, not much thicker than cotton and virtually inextensible. Small gliders are so much easier to fly now than when we were kids.
I see folk have kindly posted links to the rules, thank you. If anyone has any questions or comments I'd be happy to help if I can. [email protected]
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 52

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2020, 03:21:24 PM »

Hi Stuart

Good to see you on Hip Pocket, has Gavin been on at you to join? My Aiglet is around somewhere but needs covering and fitting the timer. I need to speak with Tony, Ray or Don to see who wants it!
Anyway, good luck with the competition and I wish you well.

Peter
stugliderguy
Copper Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2020, 03:33:43 PM »

Yes Pete, Gavin has given me a bit of a shove I must admit, it's about time I joined in. Everybody should have an Aiglet.
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 55

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2020, 03:34:21 PM »

Stuart, is there a dedicated website for the event?  

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
airplay
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

Denmark Denmark

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2020, 03:42:19 PM »

This day the A1classic comp has been announced here in DEN on our intra FF mailing list run by Per Grunnet. I think this comp will get some followers and personally I searched Outerzone and other free plansites yesterday. My favorites so far is 2 R. Cizek designs.
But about profiles? Anything Benedek?

Jens  
RalphS
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2020, 04:04:22 PM »

Good to see you here Stuart.  I thought that the event needed a wider audience and I hadn't
seen it other than in the current Clarion.  I am, and never was, a glider man, except for our
club competitions - I found that 10 grams of rubber provided sufficient fun for me.

I wonder if it might be better if you listed the event under the "Postal and E-postal competition"
heading just to tidy things up a bit. Ratz could probably help to move existing comments and questions.

Sorry for the Downbeat confusion.  I saw the model in one of Lincoln's links and assumed it was from
the correct period.

Well done on getting some decent prizes.  Dave and Sue Hippo used to get good prizes that would
attract a hundred people in the dark days of December for their Coupe contests.  It is a good way
to attract numbers. 

Good luck with entries.

Ralph
stugliderguy
Copper Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2020, 05:03:06 PM »

Thanks Ralph. I must admit I've never seen you with a glider; likewise I've been known to fiddle with 10g. of rubber, but I doubt I'll ever be giving you any trouble. I hope you'll have a go with an A1, they float up really nicely when they're built light. I think you're right it would be better off in the postals category, I'll see what i can do.
        Derek, there currently isn't a dedicated website for this (I haven't entirely worked out how to post on here yet) but I hope there will soon be at least a facebook page or possibly a website. i'll let everyone here know when it happens.
                 Jens, great to hear from you, it would be great to get entries from Scandinavia where it all started. You should really select a design where the profile is shown on the drawing and use that. If you find a drawing which shows the layout and construction but not the profile, you could use one of the profiles from that time, like a Benedek or Isaacson.
BG
Platinum Member

Kudos: 86

Canada Canada

Me with F1B - epic retrieval (flew 10km after DT)

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2020, 06:39:53 PM »

Well I'm going to try to get my son Francis to do the Hansen and I will probably do Finnair (both from my newly drafted short kit plans...got do the test builds anyway....assuming we can get into the workshop ...lockdown ... again ...sigh!). I browsed through outer zone and of course my two favourite designs were both published later in 61 (Thyrte and Drift along). Why is that always the way? I always fall in love with the designs that are not eligible for the competition  Roll Eyes .... anyway looking forward to trying to actually get these built.

Bernard

CEO,Chief designer, production line manager, factory worker, shipping and customer service manager, and janitor at Hummingbird Model Products.
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 132

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2020, 05:24:07 PM »

This looks to be an excellent excuse to build my original "Jetstream", variable wood quality and all Grin.  I am also hoping to discover the publishing date for my IGRA "DANA", to use as a possible back-up.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
dosco
Platinum Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2020, 05:55:19 PM »

Smeed's "Golden Wings" looks like a fun build ...

https://outerzone.co.uk/images/_thumbs/plans/3715.jpg
A1 International postal competition
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: