Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 19, 2021, 11:26:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A1 International postal competition  (Read 1503 times)
dosco
Platinum Member

Kudos: 10

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2021, 09:05:06 PM »

Lincoln:
The "Gili Chopper" looks pretty neat.

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=8489

https://outerzone.co.uk/images/_thumbs/plans/8489.jpg
A1 International postal competition
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2021, 06:19:32 AM »

It does, but it has a bit too much combined tail and wing area, assuming the figures on the plans are correct. If I remember correctly, the max is 18dm^2,which works out to 279 in^2. And then there are all those infernal diagonal bits.... Also, when did appear? I don't see a date. Despite all this, if you build one, I promise to admire it.
dosco
Platinum Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2021, 07:32:53 AM »

Lincoln:
If we're to believe Outerzone, a similar design, the Gili "Hatchet" was published in 1948. Just eyeballing things, I'd assume the Chopper was a few years ahead (or behind) the Hatchet. Since the Chopper looks like a simplified Hatchet, I'd guess the Chopper is a few years behind the Hatchet (in terms of publication date).

Yeah, I wasn't sure about the wing+stab areas. Might be entertaining to knock a few bays off either the wing or the tail (or maybe both).

You promise to admire it ... haha! I appreciate your intentions. lol.

-Dave
USch
Platinum Member

Kudos: 33

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2021, 03:06:13 PM »

Eureka,
I finally found the original drawing of the CORNET A1. The first A1 I've build in about 1958. Actually lincoln published already a 3-view from the Aeromodeller Yearbook in reply 37.

But having the original drawing in my hands is a different story! I remember I did the wing in white modelspan, no colours available, and a painted, black fuselage. In my memory it was black and shiny as a Steinway piano. I don't remember if it was ever flown.

3 pictures hastily taken. If anyone is interested I will try to have it scanned, just ask !!!

Urs
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: A1 International postal competition

Fast up-Slow down
lincoln
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2021, 07:23:54 PM »

The three view and the actual plan don't agree very well. Especially when it comes to the root airfoil.
stupid
Bronze Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2021, 12:07:43 AM »

Lincoln, I was lurking this thread and noticed the discussion about the A 1 Siesta's  tail boom being made of spruce. And Thinking it was too heavy to balance. You should consider using Pampas grass stems for the tail boom if you're still thinking of the Siesta. It is one third the weight of the spruce. I know you would be surprised of how stiff Pampas grass is at this diameter.At about 5 g

Bob

"If it looks stupid, and it works..... It's not so stupid."
lincoln
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2021, 02:35:30 AM »

If I was going that way, I would use the local reeds that I probably mentioned. But I'd rather stay closer to the original design unless it was impossible to balance. I'm kind of waffling between the Siesta and the Jetstream, but a couple of other things come first, once I get my momentum back.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: