Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 19, 2021, 10:19:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How did Mr. Sotich really do it? (Coupe d'Hiver Dip)  (Read 232 times)
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: December 13, 2020, 07:45:37 PM »

How did Mr. Sotich really attach the wing to the fuselage? The details in this simplified drawing are obscure and implausible, IMHO. I'm tempted to think that fiberglass was involved in some way, both in making the pylon strong enough and in making the fuselage strong enough, locally, to stand up to the pylon. But I could be wrong and maybe it was done in some other way. This thing is ugly and ridiculous, which is why someone needs to recreate it. At least if it flew ok. Anyone ever see it? Is there a more detailed drawing?
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
How did Mr. Sotich really do it? (Coupe d'Hiver Dip)
Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 37

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 08:20:57 PM »

And... what's the purpose of the 1/16 aluminum tubing at the bottom of the pylon?

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
dephela
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 08:50:27 PM »

The tubing is so the plane can ROG.
That was part of the rules originally.

Dennis
frash
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 08:53:47 PM »

I think that Charlie Sotich was regarded as quite skilled. I did not meet him until 20-25 years after this design. I did not know and certainly do not remember the early, or today’s Coupe rules. Maybe the 6-in Al tube met some early ROG rule and perhaps the fat vertical fin met a cross section rule.

Fred Rash
NormF
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2020, 09:18:39 PM »

I’m guessing the wing was a two piece with a bent wire joiner epoxied (Araldite) on top of the pylon. The wing could have been glued to the pylon and removed by sliding the pylon off the fuselage.  Sotich’s later “Dwarf Dip” is much more conventional and looks good even today. See: https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6709

NormF
faif2d
Platinum Member

Kudos: 31

Sun came up I was here to see it = good day

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2020, 09:25:56 PM »

Mr. Sotich was my mentor years ago.  He was VERY skilled and a master craftsman.  I have no idea what he was trying to do there but he had a darn good reason of some sort. He had an indoor cabin model that used a Dacron fiber for the body bulge using microfilm.  I have no idea how that could be achieved but he had done it.  Mr. Seay down here in Dallas had several very small kites that Charlie had sent him.  They met during one of the nats here in Dallas and Mr. Seay had cut him some indoor balsa.  Both were very good men and my life was enriched by my knowing them.

I used to like painting with dope but now I can't remember why!    Steve Fauble
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: