Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 19, 2022, 02:03:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Gorden Rae Baby Gull  (Read 670 times)
Pete1978
Bronze Member

Kudos: 10

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: December 15, 2020, 10:17:32 PM »

Greetings all,

I just thought I'd share some pictures of a sailplane which I finished in March of this year, I started building the structure in October of 2017 but it languished structurally complete and not covered until this year. It's the Baby Gull by Gordon Rae, originally designed in 1946 as a 35" wingspan free flight glider with a gull wing and later featured as a free plan in Aeromodeller 1987. The plan showed three different fin shapes and suggested an alternative polyhedral wing layout. Whilst the gull wing was quite distinctive and very attractive, I decided to build mine with the polyhedral wing as I hoped that it would give the model a better response to rudder.

I judiciously strengthened the design to cope  with the additional weight of radio gear, adding thin ply dihedral braces and additional sheeting to the wing and fuselage. I also eliminated the sheet fuselage formers to give clear runs for the control rods and wiring. There is a small hatch at the extreme nose, through which the battery is loaded, the remainder of the radio gear can be accessed through the wing seat. The finish is orange and dark blue Esaki tissue and white Peck tissue. As yet, the model hasn't flown, I have high hopes that it will be a relaxing and fun little soarer for light conditions from small slopes.

The plans were downloaded from Outerzone, linked here: https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2008
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Gorden Rae Baby Gull
Gorden Rae Baby Gull
Gorden Rae Baby Gull
Gorden Rae Baby Gull
Gorden Rae Baby Gull
Gorden Rae Baby Gull
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 10:37:49 PM by Pete1978 » Logged
Pete1978
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 10:27:05 PM »

More pictures:
Re: Gorden Rae Baby Gull
Pete1978
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 10:28:19 PM »

Some pictures of the finished model:
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 10:53:38 PM by Pete1978 » Logged
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 44

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 12:46:08 AM »

Ooh.  I want one of those.     Any more build photographs?

Don't tell MrsL though.
Pete1978
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 12:59:02 AM »

Ooh.  I want one of those.     Any more build photographs?

Don't tell MrsL though.

Hi Lurker, I've just checked through my phone, I'm sorry to say that I didn't take very many pictures of this one as it went together. I remember it wasn't the simplest of builds, the wing is undercambered and has built in washout in the outer panels so it took a fair bit of care and packing. The nice thing about it is that it's made up of lots of little sub assemblies so it could be built on a small building board, it was entirely constructed on the little cork pinboard that it's photographed on. I'm looking forward to flying it, it was 74.5g un-ballasted, I’ve just weighed it and it seems it took 11g of ballast so I think it'll go nicely.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 02:07:26 AM by Pete1978 » Logged
Konrad
Titanium Member

Kudos: 39

United States United States

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 12:25:17 PM »

That looks fantastic! What or how did you hinge the rudder and elevator?

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
Pete1978
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020, 04:50:57 PM »

Thank you Konrad, for hinges I used salvaged floppy disk material. I gave it a good scuffing with some fine wet and dry to get the black magnetic material off and provide a key for the glue and glued them in with canopy glue. The hinges will take the full weight of the model so I'm not worried that they'll fall out. It's the first time I've used this method and it worked really well, the hinges are really free and installing them is a piece of cake.
Pete1978
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2021, 04:57:24 PM »

Little update on this one, took it out for its maiden flight today - initially I just wanted to give it a hand launch and check everything was working and I'm pleased to report that it flew straight off the board. Successive hand launches got it higher and higher and my friend convinced me that we should try it off a length of fishing line. It went straight up to about sixty feet and flew perfectly! The controls are responsive and smooth and no trimming was required. There wasn't any lift about so it was just sledge rides, but I'm confident now that on a thermic day, or when I can get to a nice slope, it'll be a very fun and relaxing little model. I couldn't be happier with it, I have plans to make a flight video when I can get to a slope.
dosco
Platinum Member

Kudos: 18

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2021, 05:52:27 PM »

What a neat model, I love it.

Hope you can get some pics or videos of her flying!

Best-
Dave
ddlawrence
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Israel Israel

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2022, 12:09:29 PM »

very pretty bird!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: