Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 16, 2021, 10:27:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: deHavilland Technical School TK4  (Read 1185 times)
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 75

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2021, 04:22:54 AM »

Looking good, Ralph!
I have cut lettering with white decal paper on my vinyl cutter .... the only problem I encountered was the decal not sliding off smoothly because of the slight ridge caused by the cutting knife. I'm sure that you'll get over this  Smiley
RalphS
Gold Member

Kudos: 27

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2021, 10:28:50 AM »

Latest progress.  I will have to get a move on now as the lawn grass is getting longer and I will have to
start taking some interest in the garden.  

The decal hurdle has now been cleared and I will soon be able to clear the bench ready for some flying.
There has been discussion in other threads about Epson printers and the water resistance problem.  
I fell foul of this when my old printer gave up the ghost and I bought a XP-630 that I expected to use the water
resistant ink as previous, but it didn't.  For decals this has not been a problem as the action of spraying a couple
of coats of clear acrylic varnish after printing stops any bleeding when soaking in a dish of water.  It would be
a problem if I was printing tissue - but I am unlikely to do that.  

I looked for a suitable font for the registration lettering. (I have never found a font for models that is correct except for the
basic USAF lettering and numbers.) So use the nearest one that I could find, load it into the CAD program.  Draw around
the font correcting the shapes as necessary, delete the font and fill with appropriate colour, correct x and y
proportions and resize as required using the scaling tool.  I was going to use the Silhouette cutter to offset the cut
to include the white outline but then realised that, apart from the letter G, all the other letters were just straight lines
that could be cut with a knife and 6" rule. So I still haven't tried to line up a printed decal sheet on the Silhouette
cutting mat.

The decals seem to have attached themselves firmly to the painted foam which always amazes me. Now all I have to
do is mould a spinner, fit the motor and Rx, connect a battery and check that all the moving parts move in the
correct direction.  This TK4 is not intended as an indoor model.  The full size was a racer and I will have to get
my fingers working again on slower models, after the 12 month lay-off, to avoid planting this little model in the cricket square.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: deHavilland Technical School TK4
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Kudos: 56

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2021, 01:58:42 PM »

Superb model Ralph. It's a very cute aeroplane - like a tiny single engined DH88 Comet and I'm sure it's going to look pretty striking in the air too.

It does look fast but huge fun too. Get those fingers working Ralph  Grin

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 189

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2021, 04:36:01 AM »

Ralph that is an amazing effort. The colour is great but that canopy really makes the model.

I agree with Chris - exercise those fingers Smiley

John
RalphS
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2021, 03:43:45 PM »

Got the spinner made, painted and fitted.  I plunge moulded it from 11thou PET-G but found this
material more difficult to use than the 10 thou acetate used previously. I think the heating was
the problem so will have to experiment.  Okay for now though.  Weight ready to go is 79g.  The Foam
Provost was 76g so I think it will be okay. Can't wait for the off.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Kudos: 56

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2021, 04:01:23 PM »

Looks superb Ralph, a really pretty model.

Interesting you found PET-G harder to form. I found Acetate harder to vac form than PET-G but maybe the answer is in your post? - that PET-G needs more heat . I may have been over heating my attempts at acetate. I found found PET-G much more forgiving of temperature once you're in the ballpark

Your experience of moulding plastic is no doubt vastly greater than mine so interested to hear more about the problems

Look forward to any flying shots or videos  Grin
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 189

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2021, 02:12:54 AM »

I hope you are exercising your thumbs Ralph! I guess the lock down will delay the flight report!

John
RalphS
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2021, 06:23:07 AM »

Interesting you found PET-G harder to form. I found Acetate harder to vac form than PET-G but maybe the answer is in your post? - that PET-G needs more heat . I may have been over heating my attempts at acetate. I found found PET-G much more forgiving of temperature once you're in the ballpark

Thanks for the info.  I will look what is on the 'net about the temperature.  I was thinking of making a "tin" open fronted case to make an oven of sorts over the heater.  I can "borrow" the oven temperature gauge to get more consistent temperature control.  I found that the clear plastic went milky white if I heated it too much.
RalphS
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2021, 06:27:18 AM »

I hope you are exercising your thumbs Ralph! I guess the lock down will delay the flight report!

It looks the part for a racer.  With some lines it would make a good control line model - oh! Ron Moulton did that some time ago. Grin
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 75

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2021, 10:53:41 AM »

Lovely job, Ralph  Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: