Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 26, 2021, 11:51:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Stuck in Boulder CO for 2 weeks  (Read 782 times)
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 140

United States United States

Topic starter
I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« on: December 29, 2020, 10:07:27 PM »

Who knows of a good hobby shop near Boulder or Denver CO? My son lives out here and broke his femur Christmas Day, so I flew out to help wipe this and clean that. In my spare time I want to build some penny planes or parlor mites. Also is there anyone near who has a rubber stripper and can strip me off some penny plane rubber? I will pay or trade!

The Threadkiller!
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 10:27:49 PM »

He’s got 16 ft ceilings in here!

The Threadkiller!
fuelerguy55
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 09:06:23 AM »

Down the road from you in Denver is Thompson's Hobbies. Been there a long time. Owners are real nice people.

Fuelerguy55
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 09:09:33 AM »

Thanks for that I will check them out!

The Threadkiller!
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2021, 08:14:06 PM »

Hi comrades
I had to drop everything and fly out to Boulder, Colorado to take care of my son who fractured his left femur snowboarding.
Although I’ve been really busy going here and there and fixing this and that, I managed to find a decent hobby store about  10 minutes from here. So it’s all Guillows at the store but since I am not at my workbench at home I had to make do with small and simple as far as a pastime during downtime. I picked the Piper Super Cub 95. It’s semi scale and kinda cute. The work surface was easy. 3 shrink wrapped 16 x 20 foam core sheets. I slit the end and slid the plan in. Instant non stick surface nice and tight. From there it’s all uphill find straight pins, find Duco, and start hacking out the die crushed parts.
The kid is on the mend, the bill and the prescriptions are X-Rated, He is young and fit, but in some pain. I am making his bathroom manageable for a kid with one awful injury. He is all titanium rods and screws.

Ratz Edit: image rotate
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Stuck in Boulder CO for 2 weeks
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 09:21:12 PM by Ratz » Logged

The Threadkiller!
atesus
Gold Member

Kudos: 28

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2021, 08:56:52 PM »

Lucky son! I wish him a speedy recovery.

Good to see that you're putting whatever free time you may have into the hobby. I somehow find building somewhere other than in my workshop, and with limited resources unexpectedly fulfilling. I have the same exact (IIRC) Guillows Cessna, which I had built while visiting my mother. I brought the built pieces back to CA to assemble the model, but I cannot locate them now. They were covered and doped (OK, coated) with a solution of styrofoam dissolved in cellulose thinner (!), something we used to do when we were kids because dope was very expensive and we didn't know any better.

--Ates
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 67

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 12:17:35 AM »

Hi Crabby,

Sincerly hope all is well with your son and hope he is on the mend.  

My daughter played Div 1 university women's hockey in the US and had a very serious knee injury while playing, so am completely familiar with your medical expenses.  

Good choice of model to build, but recall, the air is thin as can be in that neck of the woods, so do built light.  And don't forget to put it on skis..........winter time etc.......

Cheers,
Don
Heikki K
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Finland Finland

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2021, 08:04:34 AM »

Wish everything goes well with the healing, may take several builds before he is back to the slope. The plane you chose is certainly a great piece of therapy, I believe.

My colleague got a nasty fracture in his finger. He had a flat, little surgical steel piece put into the finger. At the time of removal of this tiny, shiny piece the surgeon insisted he would like to have it, " a perfect, just perfect one". Why? Not clear at that time.

But, later on skiing after my old F1B rubber model on a frozen lake (we have thousands of lakes, they all used to freeze earlier) on my way, I happened to pass a bunch of solid looking gentlemen doing ice fishing. With fancy, weird looking metal lures... "Well, it is a tradition, we do an annual fishing competition with these ... you know..."

Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2021, 10:18:30 AM »

Thanks guys for the well wishes! You can’t tell kids enough about taking things for granted. They just hit the world with reckless abandon, if not one way it’s the other. Heikki, I one caught 2 small mackerel trolling a spark plug behind my brothers sail boat on a trip through Maine. Everyone on board thought I was a genius. Guys I am such a snob about kits and the building techniques they encourage. It is a nice leveling experience to have to build a diecrushed Guillows kit with limited resources. Actually the balsa is very good, and I freed all the parts breaking only 2. If you hold sheet balsa to a light you can see all the dense places where extreme patient diligence and meditation is required. I also rebuilt my sons 2 running toilets all the way to the wax rings which had disintegrated to the point that mold was growing at the water line inside the bowls. Row, row, row your boat, gently down the stream... you know the drill!

The Threadkiller!
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2021, 11:39:23 AM »

Good am comrades, blokes, friends, and so on!
My patient is at the point where he can carefully fend for himself, so I am flying out of here tomorrow. Here is the Guillows Super Cub I piddled my downtime away with. I highly recommend this kit, especially if you are forced to set up shop at a hotel, or during a visit to your mother in laws! I won’t lie I did Crabbyize but not much, since all my surgical instruments are back in Florida. This feat was accomplished with Michael’s art supplies, and Walgreens emory boards. GTWLJS, (Get well James). Cut black tissue performed using the layer technique. This plane looks like a flier, but I bet it doesn’t see much tall grass anytime soon!

The Threadkiller!
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2021, 11:48:23 AM »

Now to finesse a hanging hook from which to hang the plane out of danger  into the 18’ ceiling without a ladder. It’s gonna take considerable pressure since this is textured gypsum sprayed on the old fashioned drywall which is very hard. This is gonna either be a circus event or a well planned procedure performed by two craftsmen. Roll the dice vicar! Stay tuned!

The Threadkiller!
rgroener
Platinum Member

Kudos: 30

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2021, 12:04:31 PM »

Very nice Crabby!
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 67

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2021, 01:49:40 PM »

Very, very nice work Crabby.  It should be a good flyer.

The textured ceilings in my house can be softened with a little water.  I found out about this after I had a roof leak about 20 years ago.
Kevin M
Silver Member

Kudos: 10

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2021, 01:56:34 PM »

I like that, well done.
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 75

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2021, 03:21:16 PM »

Looking very nice, Crabby Smiley
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2021, 04:23:38 PM »

Thanks guys for the comments! Well we had to make a harpoon to make a hole in the ceiling that will catch the threads in the hook. I bought an 8 foot landscaping rod and taped a small and fine awl to it then spiked the wall. Then slot the end to receive the ceiling hook. All went well, I sat on the couch and let James get the exercise.

The Threadkiller!
dorme
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2021, 06:45:08 PM »

The model is "Corvette", good!  What the hell does he mean by that?  Better than it came out of the factory!!
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2021, 10:33:29 AM »

Good am comrades many thanks for looking in again!
I forgot to mention the most important part! The tissue! The stuff in the box was sent to the bathroom, and I was forced to do without our main staple: Esaki. So it was off to Micheal's gift wrap supplies and pick out the variety pack in assorted colors, I am blown over. This stuff shrank beautifully and went on with thinned elmer's glue. I liberally doused the fuse with water then did the sealing coat with more thinned out elmer's. The wings the same, they warped but I fixed it with weighted clothes pins after a second douse, but I used clear matte spray to seal. The overall weight who knows? but it wasn't exactly heavy. It did not induce the general nausea I get when I build a tons of fun airplane!

The Threadkiller!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: