Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 19, 2021, 11:10:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Wasp - 1935 Canadian Wakefield Winner  (Read 504 times)
Flyguy
Gold Member

Kudos: 43

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 07, 2021, 03:39:48 PM »

I haven't posted any outdoor builds for a few years mostly because I haven't done any! The last outdoor rubber I built was the KK Ace, and that's over 3 years ago. One problem is that you never lose them with rudder control, so its not like I need something to fly, I have lots of planes in boxes at this point. Another problem is that the field was closed for a year because they re-did it, so that was it for outdoor flying, and I ended up doing mostly indoor, given that a site was available every week (I tend to build the most depending on what's available in terms of flying!). However, with covid, indoor is gone, I was hoping maybe next Fall it would return but it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't until the Spring. So it's back to outdoor again, I actually got outdoors once (ouch) in 2020 to fly the KK Ace, nice to see that the new astroturf is much greener (and softer) than the old stuff (see earlier videos), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzHaygo0iMQ

So I'm motivated to do a new outdoor build. I've already gotten more than halfway through my 'bucket list' of oldtimers that I've always wanted to build, so I thought this is a good time to do one from my 'it's nice but I'll never build it' list. So how's about a biplane, with staggered wings, and a gull top wing to boot, and also a streamliner. Hits a few notes. I also like to stay around 30 something inches wingspan which seems to be a good size for RC rudder-only rubber.

The 36" Wasp caught my eye about 15 years ago when Aviation Modeller International had a picture of it in one of their ads of available plans, used to be able to pick up AVI here in NYC in the world trade center (until 2001), and later in a Barnes & Noble (also now long gone). It came out in an Aeromodeller inside the May 2003 AVI; I've posted some pics from the magazine article. I like the blue/white combo, but that all yellow one also has me thinking of maybe doing a solid color.

It also appears in Zaic's 1937 yearbook on p. 87, designed by Fred Rogerson of Ontario and winning in 1935 with a time of 1 m 12 s (so there's my flight goal!). Also on the plan is "Contest Note ~ Windy" !

The other motivation was that they actually have plans and a short kit still available, saves cutting out a lot of ribs and I'm lazy, http://adhpublishing.com/shop/store/products/wasp-36-cut-parts-for-plan228/

The kit differs slightly from the one shown in the article in some small ways. It supplies formers, so I'm going to build it with the half-shell method, since I have a jig for that. I've been working on it here and there. This could go off into oblivion once classes begin, but I'm hoping that the thread keeps me motivated to do something at least once in a while! Would be nice to see this thing fly someday, I never thought I'd see that.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
The Wasp - 1935 Canadian Wakefield Winner
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 04:03:12 PM »

Nice!  I look forward to your progress.

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
dosco
Platinum Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 05:37:05 PM »

Wow, that's a slick design. Flying high in the Bronx would be something!

Where were you flying indoor?

Regards-
Dave
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 188

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 06:17:43 PM »

Nice choice Larry. It should be an interesting little beast to trim. I wonder what the builder in Aeromodeller finally came up with.

Thanks for another of your flight videos - 10months? The Ace does fly nicely. After watching you do around 2 mins with RC onboard and a free wheeling prop - It looks like the final solution for FF competition in small spaces.

Anyway good luck with this interesting build.

John
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 06:27:20 PM »

Wow, that's a slick design. Flying high in the Bronx would be something!

Where were you flying indoor?

Regards-
Dave

Hi Dave - we were flying in Teaneck armory, low ceiling but available every week! Coming up on a year with no flying by March.
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 06:31:53 PM »

Nice choice Larry. It should be an interesting little beast to trim. I wonder what the builder in Aeromodeller finally came up with.

Thanks for another of your flight videos - 10months? The Ace does fly nicely. After watching you do around 2 mins with RC onboard and a free wheeling prop - It looks like the final solution for FF competition in small spaces.

Anyway good luck with this interesting build.

John

My thoughts exactly about trimming, you can't really adjust the incidence of the two wings because of the way they join the fuselage, so I'll make the stab adjustable, plus I don't have much experience with biplanes, so it could be difficult to trim, we'll see.

Yup, only one day flying since last year, it's like a memory at this point. Competition in a small space would be fun, with the rule that you have to land within a prescribed area.

Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 01:42:29 PM »

And away we go. The formers came in one piece, I marked the stringer locations on them (better to do the notching after it's together) and cut them in half to get going on the half-shell.
Re: The Wasp - 1935 Canadian Wakefield Winner
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2021, 01:16:25 PM »

Yikes this thing has a lot of stringers, took a while. The formers are never cut perfectly, or positioned perfectly, and so I spent some time siting to make sure everything flows smoothly, had to raise some stringers and lower others.

Flipped it over and started on the other side. The jig is from Rocky Top models (no longer), it was too short for the fuselage, and so I just cut an arc on the right side, visible in the photo, so that the tail can hang off the end, worked fine.
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 12:10:03 PM »

More stringers, more stringers. Got the second side done, second photo shows it off the jig. Most of the formers are below the stringers, but I did some scalloping anyway. I left the wing mount area undone because I want to make the gull center section of the wing first, then custom fit that into the fuselage. The plans are a little unclear about a few things so I just want to build it and see.
strat-o
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2021, 12:26:37 PM »

How needlessly complex this thing is--love it!
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2021, 01:10:04 PM »

Yes, exactly! I was just telling a friend that as I build it, there are so many opportunities to screw something up, it's kind of like walking through a mine field, so far so good but we'll see.
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2021, 11:05:00 AM »

On to the wing. I made all the forms for the wingtips etc. early on, that's always the first thing I do, they're 3/16" bass with a few coats of dope. Here I've made the wingtips and leading edge, for the trailing edge form I laminated 3 sheets together. The trailing edge not only curves in but also curves up for the gull shape, so it needs a thicker form.
Tim Hooper
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2021, 04:44:49 PM »

Blimey, I built one of these years ago - from the free plan in Aeromodeller magazine.

A very challenging build, and then I messed it all up by adding electric power and 3 channel RC.
Building a board to frame up the top wing was a project in itself.

Net result was it was just too heavy to fly convincingly.

I've often thought about having another bash at it, either using micro RC or pure rubber power, but the thought of chopping out those tiny formers and laminated spar again puts me off!

Tim
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2021, 05:24:45 PM »

Cool!!! That looks really nice Tim, thanks for posting, I really haven't seen any pictures of this model outside of the Aeromodeller article. A jig was used for the wing there as well, nice if you already have that, might help motivate you to build another. I'm too lazy and just built up the wing center section on the magnaboard, I'll post some pics shortly.

I've been a little worried about the weight as well so I'm trying to keep it down, it's rubber powered. I think in the Zaic plan it's reported as 5.4 oz, but I think I can get under that, we'll see.

I've often thought about having another bash at it, either using micro RC or pure rubber power, but the thought of chopping out those tiny formers and laminated spar again puts me off!

Tim
Exactly about all the formers, and ribs, there's a ton, that's why I probably wouldn't have built it if there wasn't a kit (as I said, I'm lazy), nice to have those all ready to go (except the kit was missing a few ribs!). Neat to see another Wasp!

Tim Hooper
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2021, 05:39:39 PM »

Cool!!! That looks really nice Tim, thanks for posting,

I think in the Zaic plan it's reported as 5.4 oz, but I think I can get under that, we'll see.

Thanks Larry,

I think mine was just about treble that weight!  It flew, but it was a struggle.......

Tim
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Today at 12:50:57 PM »

On to the hard parts. The gull center section has three main plywood forms, I didn't build a jig but just used magnets to hold them in place, then I placed most of the ribs in and checked the whole thing for alignment. Once it looked good I glued in one rib, let it dry, then glued one on the other side to firm it up. The middle ribs were shorter than shown on the plan so I had to re-cut those. After getting in 3 ribs, I glued on the right trailing edge, that's tricky because you have to align it to go with the arc, and also angle it to fit in with the rib shape. After that dried, I knew exactly what the height was in terms of magnets (and balsa strip), so the left side was easier since that set the height; the photo shows attaching the left trailing edge. I think it came out OK! I'm also going to get rid of some of the ply to save weight.
korale
Silver Member

Kudos: 12

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Today at 06:17:00 PM »

This one of the models on my 'some day' list I'm following a long with great interest.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: