Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 08, 2021, 02:25:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Hummingbird Goon  (Read 2208 times)
BG
Platinum Member

Kudos: 85

Canada Canada

Me with F1B - epic retrieval (flew 10km after DT)

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2021, 09:02:47 PM »

Looks fantastic Julian and glad you got that fuselage issue sorted ... maybe I should make a special note about that on the plan?

What is the weight of the bones??

B

CEO,Chief designer, production line manager, factory worker, shipping and customer service manager, and janitor at Hummingbird Model Products.
aerotrope
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2021, 11:47:32 PM »

Yes, the small shallow triangles of F3 through F6 are easy to mix up.  I was particularly careful with F4 to 6, following the orientation of the F3s but not realizing that I'd already flipped the RH F3 over.  They're a bit small to put a "this way up" marking on, so a note is likely best.

Weight so far is 31.3 gm, so a finished weight of 55 gm looks achievable.  All that's left to add to the structure is the canopy/glazing and the tailskid.  I see you have a vacuformed canopy on offer - do you have a weight for it?
aerotrope
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2021, 08:37:35 PM »

A couple of hours today, mostly on the always fussy job of laying out patterns for windows.  In this case there is a cockpit cowling and windscreen to fit between the canopy roof and the fuselage.  Pics show the 4th and 5th iteration respectively, made of bond and wax papers. Close enough now to trace onto the finish stock; 1/32" balsa sheet and .005" photocopy transparency.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Hummingbird Goon
aerotrope
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2021, 07:08:10 PM »

After an unconscionable amount of effort and rework (glazing is not my favorite part of construction), I've got the cockpit cover done and a windshield ready to apply. 

Well into the exercise I came across a couple of sheets of .008" photocopier transparency saved from my wasted years at work.  In this case not entirely wasted, as they are printed with a fine 1mm grid test pattern.  This eased the fit and trim process, making it quicker and more accurate to whittle my way down to an acceptable fit.  And, easy enough to make more such grids, on plastic or paper as needed.  Though the toner washes off cleanly with rubbing alcohol, making the transparency directly usable on the model, I transferred the pattern to some .005" stock, adding lightness and enough extra flexibility to ease the gluing process.

I added a black bond paper face and top to the instrument panel before its becoming inaccessible.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 189

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2021, 01:26:35 AM »

Beautiful bones Aero and really nice structure BG.

John
BG
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2021, 09:03:51 AM »

Wow! looks great Julian. Can't wait to see her with the covering on. AND now with the weather improving we can look forward to some flight test over the long grass

CEO,Chief designer, production line manager, factory worker, shipping and customer service manager, and janitor at Hummingbird Model Products.
aerotrope
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2021, 12:53:28 AM »

The great thing about pre-printed tissue is all the saved fuss; the downside is the extra fuss to get it on right the first time.  With some trepidation I started in on the wings, and working very cautiously, arrived at results I'm pleased with.

Hummingbird's tissue is Mitsumata, very light and with good wet strength.  First time I've used it, and first time for trying wet covering, though just the upper surface wingtips.  I normally would cut separate pieces for the tips, but the Goon has race # 5 out there that I didn't want to slice into, so after dry covering the main panels using glue stick, I gave the tips a light water spray and gently massaged them down.  Voila!

Weight gain was 2.28 gm, bringing the wing to 10.02 gm

After the glue stick has set hard overnight, I'll pin the wing down one side at a time, and do the main tissue shrinking.  The structure is pretty firm, but I've learned to be pessimistic about warps, so I always pin down.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2021, 09:17:21 AM »

Very careful work - looks great.

John
BG
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2021, 09:34:44 AM »

Looks Great Julian. Look forward to the rest of the ship coming together. I have a prop for you too that I will drop off soonish.

BG

aerotrope
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2021, 10:19:28 PM »

Ten days or more in 'builder's block' over the installation of the RC DT, then inspiration struck and in it went.  Parameters were: position relative to cg; protection from possible thrashing motor (and rubber lube); servo orientation to get correct rudder/elevator motion   Pics show the receiver on a balsa mount, then mounted beneath the wing trailing edge.  Mount is tilted for clearance between servo gears and pushrods. Third pic is view through windscreen.

The pushrods were attached to the brick, then the whole assembly fished in through the open cowling side in a sort of ship-in-a-bottle maneuver.  Lots of tweezer work to get it all correct.

Theory of operation is for a short elevator horn to give 75 degrees or more of up for DT effect.  Rudder is there for increased utility on the small fields of the Glorious Future.
aerotrope
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2021, 10:26:40 PM »

Empennage being completed; control surfaces with sewn hinges, stab and elevators covered; control horns being dry fitted.
aerotrope
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2021, 12:08:52 AM »

Back to the front end for a bit - as well as a small handful of regular twisted metal louvres, the Goon had a large built-up louvre panel on the left engine cowl.  The kit simulates this with the printed tissue, but I wanted to try building it.  3 pics show outside and inside of the panel, then press fitted to the airframe.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2021, 03:25:50 AM »

It will be interesting to see how your elevator DT works. Perhaps you could use the installation fly it after the rubber has run down - similar to Flyguy.

Nice work.

John
aerotrope
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2021, 11:57:07 PM »

John - I'm making the elevator horn long enough for the option of a normal flying response, to try that.  I don't think it will be much of a soarer, but one can never tell.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: