Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 19, 2021, 01:11:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Indoor Model Supply Parlor Mites  (Read 429 times)
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 141

United States United States

Topic starter
I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« on: January 17, 2021, 06:40:50 PM »

Has anybody maintained production of this 3 plane kit? It would be perfect for a kid who is homebound in a condo with 17" ceilings. I have looked around on the web, but came up with only warm trails. I would love to buy or trade whatever.

The Threadkiller!
HatzLymanC
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 10:59:37 PM »

I believe mini-stick kits are as close as you can get. If anyone is even producing kits for those right now? Maybe Josh Finn? 
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 03:37:35 AM »

I'm nut sure there's much advantage to such a kit, unless you don't have any good wood or don't want to bend up a prop bearing from thin music wire. You could probably make an acceptable bearing with aluminum from a soda can, but I haven't tried that yet. A Mini Stick with a smaller prop is probably a good way to go. Or an older A-6 design, one of the ones with a low aspect ratio. Use very light said, or smaller wood.
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 04:28:24 AM »

Ended up having to do an entirely new post. Let's hope it doesn't barf this time. I want the programmer chained to my desk so I can abuse them every time it does something wrong. Modern computers can screw things up faster than ever before.

Ok, now I'm trying italics.

Extra verbiage here, so that Hip Pocket software thinks this is a new post. It rejected the first one for having the wrong sort of attachment, and refused it again when I changed to an acceptable file type. Sigh.

One thing you'll need for a model like this is very thin rubber. Thinner than you will find from any supplier, most likely, though I'm afraid I don't remember just how small. You can probably find info on rubber in a Mini Stick article or plan over at the Indoor News and Views site. An A-6 plan or article might have more relevant sizes.

If I was trying to fly one of my airplanes in a horizontally small site, I'd pick either my Mini Stick or my example of the design attached. It's got a larger wing span, but it seems to want to turn. Much too tightly, in fact, but it still flew for a reasonable amount of time. Keep in mind that the rules quoted are obsolete. I'm not aware of any event that this model would qualify for. So don't be afraid to use a real balsa prop, thin plastic covering, or a much smaller shaft wire. My guess is .009" guitar string would be thick enough for the bearing, shaft, and hook. Smaller wood sizes are probably ok, too, but keep the depth of the spars. That is, 1/32" X 1/16" on edge would be fine for the leading and trailing edges, but 1/20" square might not. I'm trying to remember if I used crumpled and uncrumpled tissue on mine or not. It's possible that would affect the performance.

It's a lousy scan, so in that first paragraph up top, it should be t.e. not l.e. Also, this was originally on a  8.5" X 11". I imagine it would work ok if smaller, but

I don' t remember whether this model was easy to trim or not. But it eventually flew pretty well. It's infuriating that no c.g. is given.

This design used to be on the net someplace, but I can't find it now.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Indoor Model Supply Parlor Mites
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 06:41:02 AM »

I don't recall the wingspan of the IMS Mite, but there is the similar "Scraps" design which enjoyed a new found popularity as a Facebook group build and postal contest subject during Covid lockdown.  The flat span is 214mm/8.42". Here's a link with info and resources. Kits may still be available...

http://indoorfreeflight.com/scraps.html
steve-de24
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 04:47:30 PM »

Is this the Parlor Mite design that is being referred to?

www.smallflyingarts.net/plans/PM_MK2.pdf

Steve
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 05:03:11 PM »

No.  I think Crabby meant "Micro-X".  Maybe IMS had a 3-way kit too, but this is the one I remember.  At one time, it seemed that everyone and their brother sold a "Parlor Mite"  kit    Roll Eyes
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 141

Topic starter
I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2021, 10:18:35 AM »

Good am comrades!
Thanks for your continued interest in this safari. Guys. this is not for me. I have the rubber stripper the balsa stripper, plenty of micro thin balsa, condenser paper so on to create lots pf penny planes.,,,Its for my son who is layed up recuperating with a shattered femur.... BTW the 3 parlor plane kit was made by IMS, and is discontinued. but Wally Farrell was kind enough to check out ebay and voila! I now have the kit complete with all the tiny hardware. I have no interest in parlor planes because I live in a house with low ceilings. James on the other hand has a place with 18 foot ceilings! So with your kind attention to this matter I have put together a package containing more tiny rubber, a winder and the IMS kit. BTW I wound up paying $35 for the damn kit but by then it had gotten personal!

The Threadkiller!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: