Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
March 02, 2021, 08:39:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: cat jet design  (Read 168 times)
bentodd
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: February 14, 2021, 03:16:56 PM »

I want to build a Cirrus Vision cat jet.  https://cirrusaircraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Vision-Jet-Brochure-2020_Mockup-Low-res.pdf

I have a few questions on design.

When laying out the wing platform, do I include the fuselage width in the wingspan or just from the edge of the fuselage?

The wing is on the high side for aspect ratio, Could I enlarge the chord by maybe 10% or maybe something that does not take away from overall design.

It has a V tail and I was planning on adding some wire hinges to both sides for adjustment of both decalage and turn.  Should I offset both stabs from 45 deg to give it a little stab tilt for glide turn?
Bredehoft
Platinum Member

Kudos: 56

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 03:25:39 PM »

1. your choice on that wing issue, although your choice will affect the aspect ratio (which you address in #2)

2. yes, under FAC rules, you can be subtle in your changes to dimensions and proportions

3.  slight or accidental stab tilt is forgivable in FAC, but intentional is frowned upon.

--george

Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 06:30:26 PM »

Here's a 3V that I found online.  I saved it as a pdf--send me a pm with your email address if you'd prefer that.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: cat jet design
bentodd
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 08:22:39 PM »

Thanks for the 3-view.  It verified that the tail is at 45's.  I surfed for at least 30 minutes and didn't find a 3 view and am working off the side and top views from their brochure.  I did find a photo of a good side view, white top and blue bottom, I hope to photoshop that and print it out for the fuselage. 

I will go with the wing minus fuselage width, and maybe add a little on the chord.

I don't know if I will compete with it, but guess I should read the FAC rules.
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 10:38:02 AM »

Another interesting part of the "rules" : there is nothing that says the fuselage must be profile configuration; but it is permitted.

What is the wingspan of your model?
graham_mca
Bronze Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 12:42:56 PM »

My tendency is to use the wing full span and extend the inner part in to meet the new skinny profile fuselage. That way it doesn't alter the visual appearance of the wing to the tail spans (where the fuselage is typically narrower anyway). However, swept wings need more compromises, not an issue with your chosen design though Smiley

It's personal choice though of course depending what you're looking for.

Flying Aces Club Member
www.mcallistermodels.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: