Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
March 05, 2021, 02:18:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Setup advice Baby Toots  (Read 140 times)
DougFunny
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: February 15, 2021, 02:37:22 PM »

I just completed building “Baby Toots” from plans on outerzone. I’ve never attempted a scratch built single folder, seems to work OK, balances OK, very minimal vibration. However, I need to add a bit of weight to the nose. Would it make more sense to shorten the counter balance wire of the prop, and add more weight with solder to the shorter end, or just cram it in the nose bulkhead somewhere as usual?
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Setup advice Baby Toots
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 09:35:37 PM »

Looks like a fun project.

Shortening the wire would reduce drag, particularly if you streamlined the weight a little and set it at one smidgen less pitch than the prop blade. Not that I've ever tried anything like this, mind you.

Next do a Baby Toots P-30. ;-)
BG
Platinum Member

Kudos: 84

Canada Canada

Me with F1B - epic retrieval (flew 10km after DT)

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 09:35:19 AM »

I would move the wing and wing mount forward on the fuselage (it this is an option). If you have glued that all in place then just add the nose weight and go fly. With single bladed folder you want a bit of length to the wire so that it can flex to counter balance the asymmetric thrust of the single blade. You cure the vibration that comes from the asymmetric thrust by bending the with for the balance weight back until she runs smooth. If you shorten the wire and add weight you may still be able to do this but it will probably be more difficult because the moments are shorter (I think...).

BG

CEO,Chief designer, production line manager, factory worker, shipping and customer service manager, and janitor at Hummingbird Model Products.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: