Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 19, 2021, 11:01:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: April 17-18 - ScaleMasters 2021 - South Australia  (Read 302 times)
THB
Gold Member

Kudos: 27

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: February 16, 2021, 05:41:23 AM »

ScaleMasters is an 'all-in' scale and free flight fly-in that's been going since the 1990's here in the south of OZ - and it's on again this year on Sat 17 / Sun 18 April.

This year the venue is the Southern Soaring League field near Milang - with a flying area of some 25 acres cleared smooth pasture with the remainder being stubble. See photo. The prevailing wind is normally from the southwest, being the bottom left side of that photo.

The location is 1197 Nine Mile Road, Milang. From South Terrace (B37), Strathalbyn, turn left at the United Petrol Station and follow the road for 13km towards Milang. You will see the green clubhouse shed on the left. Too short notice and too precarious for most internationals given current situations I suspect! However, we will make sure that updates and pics are posted for those who wish to enjoy virtual attendance!

The event has been an ongoing fixture thanks to Lawrie Kelsall originally, and Dave Putterill and family over many recent years. This years event is organised by Steve Nelson - 2018 Aus F1D Team Manager (thanks Steve!) amongst his many other achievements! Second photo shows some of the usual suspects...

cheers
Tim
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
April 17-18 - ScaleMasters 2021 - South Australia
April 17-18 - ScaleMasters 2021 - South Australia

Tim
"Life is what happens while you're busy making other planes."
THB
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 05:35:13 AM »

I'm passing on this update from our event organiser Steve Nelson:

ScaleMasters 2021 Update.

Everything is on schedule for ScaleMasters event on next week 17-18th April at SSL Field Milang.

The location is 1197 Nine mile road, Milang. From South Terrace (B37), Strathalbyn, turn left at the United Petrol Station and follow the road for 13km towards Milang. You will see some banners on the left indicating the northern gate entrance. Car parking will be along one of the boundary fences on the upwind side of the field. This will be determined by the prevailing wind on the day.

Adherence to the prevailing COVID procedures including COVID check-in will be required each day. In addition all visitors (i.e. Non SSL members), will be required to sign the visitors book.

Power, water and toilets are available as are battery charging power outputs for electric models. There will be a donation tin to help cover the cost of providing these facilities in a remote location.

Still plan to BYO some food & drink but I have arranged for Milang Bakery to come out to the field at 10am each day to sell a selection of bakery items i.e. Pies, Pasties, Sausage Rolls , Sandwiches and Cakes as well as cold drinks. Cash only accepted for payment so make sure you have some available.

I have had emails from some 18 people so far and I know from experience that there will be more than that turn up. If you haven’t yet replied just drop me a line to let me know if you plan to come, even if you are only staying for a short time. Please circulate this email to anyone who might be interested even just to have a look at a different approach to aeromodelling.

The long range weather forecast looks OK. Either way, if you turn up early, like 7am early you are almost guaranteed to get some calm flying conditions at this time of year.

Best regards,
Steve Nelson, Convener
Re: April 17-18 - ScaleMasters 2021 - South Australia

Tim
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 05:55:22 AM »

Tim,
       Good to see you are going ahead with Scalemasters. We are with you in spirit as the travel bubble is not yet in being and we are all a bit cautious about travel. In our case we arew travelling to Caterton to the North Island free flight champs to combine with the free flighters. Forcast is not as certain as yours.
Good luck have a great meeting.
Ricky
THB
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 06:03:29 AM »

Thanks Ricky - I plan to stalk our flyers with the camera and record whatever happens hopefully for the entertainment of stick and tissue followers here on HP. For once I'm not trying to finish something the day before the comp and driving to the site with the smell of glue still drying in the back seat!
Luxury.
cheers
Tim

Tim
THB
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2021, 07:11:29 AM »

A great start to ScaleMasters with light breezes and a great new venue.
Flyers included AeroModeller engine reviewer Maris Dislers, and newcomer Andrew who brought along a vintage Wake and other scale models.
Event Convener Steve Nelson even did a fly-by in his full size Chipmunk.
My 'Yellow Cab' lasted about three flights before it hooked a thermal - I followed it across the fields but was going UP last I saw it. maybe it is in the safe hands of desingner Mike Nassise now!
More pics and video when I get a chance (some repairs tonight from the days flying)
cheers
Tim

Tim
ironmike
Platinum Member

Kudos: 89

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2021, 11:22:42 AM »

Thanks Tim 2 name

Always enjoy the shots of the OZ Scale Masters.
Keep em coming mate.
THB
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 04:31:23 AM »

Mikey! Hope you are well there. One day when things get better maybe I'll bring some stick & tissue over there!
Meanwhile - here are a few more pics. Two great days of weather - so we're all a bit exhausted. Will provide more detail and maybe a video soon.
Tim

Tim
cvasecuk
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 05:24:27 AM »

It looks like you all had fun, but as it is called ScaleMasters where are they all - apart from the nice in pic 6!!!
Ron
THB
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 06:41:27 AM »

Hi Ron - there has certainly been an increase in flyers in categories such as Ebenezer - but plenty of scale there too. I personally had about half a dozen scale rubber models and some of the pics show several others including Dave's BV, Letov and Maris' Bird Dog. Amazing how little time you get to photograph all the other planes while your trying to fly your own!
cheers
Tim
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 06:56:55 AM by THB » Logged

Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print