Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 08, 2021, 04:12:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dayton-Wright PS-1  (Read 251 times)
nibor
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 13, 2021, 06:19:23 AM »

- hello
- I recollect a picture of a rubber-scale model of this interesting fighter prototype on a model magazine (Flying Models?)
- by chance, anyone have plans for this aircraft?

thanks
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Dayton-Wright PS-1
Dayton-Wright PS-1
packardpursuit
Platinum Member

Kudos: 45

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 06:57:57 PM »

Not familiar with that particular aircraft, but it seems similar to Dayton-Wright racer.   Seems simple enough from photo and 3-vew, so plan wouldn't be too hard to produce.  An educated guess the colors would either be kaki overall or kaki fuselage with chrome yellow wing and horizontzls. W/red/white/blue markings.  What span/type of plan are you looking for?

https://www.google.com/search?q=Dayton-Wright+PS-1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjy8pPw1ODvAhWEpZ4KHY6zA9EQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1920&bih=969#imgrc=r5T-sGC-vcCNWM
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Kudos: 83

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 07:44:02 PM »

Overall olive drab.  Too late for khaki and too early for yellow wings/tail.

Mark
packardpursuit
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 11:21:50 AM »

One man's kaki is another's OD.  Ditto for chrome  yellow vs orange, etc. Lots of room for individual "interpretation" and expression Smiley Smiley Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Kudos: 83

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 11:38:17 AM »

Packard,
I'm using the Air Service names for the colors.

Mark
packardpursuit
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 01:50:30 PM »

Mark,

I was watching some documentary color movie footage from WWII, the other night. In one snippet, I noted, several US Army personnel ( 8-10 men) are riding in a landing craft. IIRC, it was supposed to be of the North African campaign . What I found particularly interesting was the stark color variation so evident their individual steel helmets.  Hues ranged from dark green (one with definite bluish tint) to various browns, Some were definitely  brown going red and others going purer brown. ALL, I'm fairly confidant, were "Officially" O.D.    I've noted same type of differences in group color  shots of US WWII aircraft.  Which one is the "official" or more correct color of OD?  What commercial tissue best represents an official color description?   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Smiley Smiley
flydean1
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 04:22:49 PM »

Can't help Mark or Packard but will tell of my "adventure"

Way back in 1971 I was a 1st Lieutenant in the US Army and Executive Officer of Headquarters Company, 3rd Bn, 32nd Armor, part of 3rd Armored Division.   We were in the field training, but since we were understrength, we left several tanks behind, including the CO's tank.  It was my job to go back to our base, and paint these tanks in preparation for a parade soon after the rest of the gang arrived from the field.  I was given a key to our paint locker which supposedly had plenty of paint.  When I asked the Supply Officer about this I just got an eye-roll. 

Of course, not one drop of OD enamel paint!  Anyhow, I loaded as much as the trunk of my car would hold,. and went calling on other officers I knew in other units all over that part of Germany.  I swapped what I had that they needed for OD enamel.  Unfortunately, there were about 4 different shades of OD among the several gallons (about 20 - 30).  Solved that issue by mixing them all in one 55 gallon drum stirring with a D-handled shovel.  It was pretty thick paint but I could not beg, borrow, or trade for any thinner.  No one would part with so much as a quart.  So, after posting guards all around that part of our base, I poured gasoline into the paint mix until it would spray, and we were in business.  Enamel thinned with gas has absolutely no gloss, indeed it was flatter than flat!  Hey though, all the colors matched!

We applied all the stencils to the Colonel's tank and had it parked right up where he would see it when he rolled through the gate.  When he saw all those very  dull tanks, you could see some consternation in the lack of sheen.  I was ready with a page out of the Army Regulations on vehicle paint which stipulated that combat vehicles were to be flat finished.

When the next unit's tanks showed up they looked like hand-rubbed lacquer!  When our CO saw them, he produced that same Army Reg and made them paint all their tanks to match ours!  they were up pretty well for two nights. I don't know how they got all colors to the correct shade.  I never told the Colonel about the gasoline, and the Supply Officer was a bit ticked when he saw that his paint storage building (a conex container) was empty.
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2021, 06:22:19 PM »

I can really relate to that story. When I was Technical Director of the Royal Tournament we were hanging aircraft from the hall a Earls Court and there was going to be laser display. There was a realisation that we needed to matt all the surfaces of the hanging aircraft and time was very tight. This was done by myself after going home and picking up my spraying outfit and buying matt varnish before spending a evening spraying the aircraft. Fortunately I have reasinable painting skills have done a number of resprays in my time. I then rang the owner who was stationed with me at Abingdon informing him that his aircraft that were used for recruiting displays had a modified finish. He took it well saying there were in need of a tidy up anyway.   
Ricky
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2021, 06:32:17 PM »

Cheesy Grin Grin

That's a hoot Dean!  No disrespect intended, but that sounds like equal parts "MASH" and  "Beetle Bailey"  lol !
I admire your creativity/resourcefulness.

Gives a whole new meaning to the concept of "scale fidelity!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: