Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 16, 2021, 10:24:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Varmints....  (Read 448 times)
Knightflyer
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 17, 2021, 07:54:27 PM »

Did you know cats eat thin balsa sticks? You know, like catastrophic (no pun intended) damage to the fuselage, and only tiny pieces left of your carefully laminated balsa tail feathers for a peanut Taylorcraft?

The cat belongs to my teenage son, so I let it live...
stupid
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 08:23:02 PM »

Did you know cats eat thin balsa sticks? You know, like catastrophic (no pun intended) damage to the fuselage, and only tiny pieces left of your carefully laminated balsa tail feathers for a peanut Taylorcraft?

The cat belongs to my teenage son, so I let it live...

If the cat Lives with you , you should give it some catnip that grows in a pot. My cat, which I let outside is always chewing on grass. If it's chewing on grass it stays away from your balsa.

"If it looks stupid, and it works..... It's not so stupid."
Kevin M
Gold Member

Kudos: 15

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 02:55:17 AM »

.....so I let it live...

The teenager or the cat?
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 05:17:02 AM »

I lost a stick and tissue project to mice. I've heard you can plasticize dope with moth balls, though I haven't tried it and I don't know how long it would last. Mice don't like mothballs, and maybe cats don't either.

If you glue a bunch of corrugated cardboard strips together, cats love to shred the edges, so maybe this would be a good distraction. Especially if sceted with catnip. Attach the cardboard, edges out, on the wall at a good height for clawing.

My wife used to grow grass indoors in a pan for her cat.

No guarantee that the above will actually protect your model.

I suppose silver tissue and a fence charger wouldn't be ethical.
dosco
Platinum Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 08:21:57 AM »

I suppose silver tissue and a fence charger wouldn't be ethical.

Depends on your ehtical construct, no?
kittyfritters
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 08:58:00 PM »

Cats are not a problem for me.  I have a small colony of semi-feral cats that is allowed to come into my garage to get out of the weather.  I've learned to cover my workbench and keep my balsa and tissue boxed.  Opossums, and the occasional raccoon that sometimes take advantage of the kitty door can be more of a problem.  Leaving plastic bags of moth balls where I don't want them to go seems to deter them.  However, the skunk that took up residence for a day stopped all activity in the garage until it decided to leave.  Mind you, all this wild life is in the middle of a city.  Cats, you gotta love 'em.

KF

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2021, 12:31:27 AM »

Years ago, I lived in Boston. We would sometimes leave the door to the roof open. Raccoons would shinny up the downspout and climb the fire escape, then descend 5 stories to the kitchen. One of my housemates passed one going the other way on a narrow spiral staircase. I saw one in the hall that must have weighed 40 pounds. I guess we got wise and kept the door shut, because it didn't happen much.

The possum that got into my house in the suburbs didn't get into the plane stuff, though it did get into the suspended ceiling and fell out right next to me.
dosco
Platinum Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2021, 07:55:41 PM »

Cats are not a problem for me.  I have a small colony of semi-feral cats that is allowed to come into my garage to get out of the weather.  I've learned to cover my workbench and keep my balsa and tissue boxed.  Opossums, and the occasional raccoon that sometimes take advantage of the kitty door can be more of a problem.  Leaving plastic bags of moth balls where I don't want them to go seems to deter them.  However, the skunk that took up residence for a day stopped all activity in the garage until it decided to leave.  Mind you, all this wild life is in the middle of a city.  Cats, you gotta love 'em.

KF

When I lived in NorCal, I rented a house on a derelict orchard. It had a crawlspace ... first house I'd lived in with that configuration.

A skunk took up residence in the crawlspace. Woof. It was bad, the entire house wreaked of skunk. Horrible.

-Dave
knapster
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2021, 06:40:46 PM »

I knew that....I keep 'em out of the workshop.  I once had a 30" Bearcat on the kitchen table getting ready to take some photos.  I turned my back for a minute, and one of those rascals was up on the table investigating.  He seemed OK, so I turned my back again.  When I went to take the photos, I noticed he had plucked off several of the exhaust ports.  Never did find them, so maybe he ate them.  At least he didn't do any real damage.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: