Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 16, 2021, 09:58:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Attaching wheels  (Read 279 times)
TimWescott
Platinum Member

Kudos: 18

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 19, 2021, 08:03:04 PM »

How do you attach wheels to itty bitty rubber power planes so that they don't fall off and the mounting weighs a ton?  I want to graduate from the "bend the end of the wire over" method.

https://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=25522.0;attach=238285;image
Attaching wheels
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 189

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 08:52:32 PM »

I currently use a narrow strip of masking tape - about 5-6 turns on the axle. It's necessary to carefully ensure that the first turn is very tight. Snip of excess length and hit the end of the tape with a small drop of CA and it's secure.

Alternatively a small length of electrical insulation forced on or a small length of heat shrink - again hit with CA as well. One nifty idea with the insulation was to use a smaller diameter and let it soak in thinners to expand it - force it on and let it shrink tightly onto the wire.

I have also read of cotton thread being wound on the axle and hit with CA.

There you go Tim - just a few for starters!

John
kaintuck
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 08:53:19 PM »

Can be as simple as putting a dab of your favorite epoxy or canopy glue...build up slowly until satisfied. I have put a dab of solder on balsa wheel axle, using a protection over the wheel...
Marc
NormF
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 08:56:03 PM »

Tradition would be a drop of Ambroid on the axle. I also like OZPAF’s wire insulation method. I use that method for securing freewheel props. A good source for small wire insulation is 4 wire telephone cord.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 09:36:46 PM by NormF » Logged
TimWescott
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 10:14:50 PM »

Tradition would be a drop of Ambroid on the axle. I also like OZPAF’s wire insulation method. I use that method for securing freewheel props. A good source for small wire insulation is 4 wire telephone cord.

I'm an electronics engineer, with a lab that has stuff in it spanning back to before I was born.  So -- I think I can scare up some insulated wire!  Those wheels are drilled to be a fairly close fit on the wire, so it won't take much.
stupid
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2021, 11:13:19 PM »

Here is a material that works good but not so good if you get caught By your daughter or wife.

Wire ear ring keepers. 1/8"long works well.

I think it works better than wire insulation because it's formalized for just this purpose as long as your axle sizes isn't too small.

Bob

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Attaching wheels

"If it looks stupid, and it works..... It's not so stupid."
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 67

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2021, 11:34:32 PM »

Hi Tim,

Not sure what it is called, but I use heat sensitive 'shrink wrap', used for covering (insulating) joined (soldered) wires.  I comes in all colours, including black, and in quite small diameters.  Simply cut a very short length, slip in onto the axle, and heat it with a heat gun.  The heat will shrink the 'wrap' onto the wire, preventing the wheel from coming off.

Cheers,
Don
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 34

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2021, 04:51:37 AM »

I use the insulation idea as noted by OZPAF.  Here.
USch
Platinum Member

Kudos: 33

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2021, 08:07:17 AM »

As usual in my life I try to find the most complicated way. For that you have to produce a small brass washer with a hole of the same diameter as the wire. Then you need a steady hand, a good, small soldering iron and most important, a good, acid flux. To let the wheel have some backlash I place a piece of paper between the wheel and the washer, put a very small drop of flux on the connection wire-washer and hit the point with a hot soldering iron and a little amount of tin.

A very adventurous way of doing things, you either succeed  Cheesy, or you throw away everything  Angry

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
TimWescott
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2021, 01:22:56 PM »

I'm not going to use heat -- the reason that wheel looks like it's formed styrofoam with little plywood disks for bearings is because it's formed styrofoam with little plywood disks for bearings.  Even a heat gun will make it shrivel up into a little untidy wad of goo -- heating the axle enough to solder would definitely invite disaster.

The washer + solder idea could easily be adapted into a wooden washer + glue; I may do that on bigger wheels.

(Note that on my control line planes I drill a hole into the end of a 1" or so piece of brass tube, then solder that onto the end of the landing gear.  Then the wheel can be kept on with a pin.  I mostly do it because it's nice looking, but on those rare occasions when I want to deep-clean a plane, I can just pop the pins and have the wheel into the sink in two shakes).
Flyguy
Gold Member

Kudos: 44

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2021, 02:59:27 PM »

For light rubber jobs, I just use a thread, tie half of a square-not, pull it tight on the wire (can hang a clothespin or something for weight on one end to keep it tight), hit it with a drop of jelled CA, only takes a few seconds to set, then trim it off. Very light plus easy to remove if you ever have to replace the wheel, photo of wheel on my KK Ace.
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 132

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2021, 04:27:11 PM »

Paper punch (they are available in various sizes), heavy paper, light card stock or even an old credit card and a dab of glue.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
faif2d
Platinum Member

Kudos: 32

Sun came up I was here to see it = good day

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2021, 05:58:22 PM »

In addition to the wheel retainers, if you get the good paper punches that the crafters use, they can be used to punch holes in up to 1/16" balsa for lightening holes.  Also a good way to put leadout holes in control line ribs.

I used to like painting with dope but now I can't remember why!    Steve Fauble
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: