Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 16, 2021, 10:18:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: PT-1 conversion  (Read 93 times)
aerotrope
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 27, 2021, 01:59:20 AM »

I built this 20" rubber powered PT-1 from the John C. Winter plans printed full size in Flying Models back in the summer of '70.
After about 50 trim flights I was unable to find a fix for spiral instability, and as I wasn't willing to go as far as rebuilding with more dihedral, it sat on a shelf for a season.  Then I found a broken ParkZone P-51 for $20 at a garage sale, so I pulled the motor and receiver and put them in the PT-1.  Didn't think to take pix of that surgery, but it wasn't too awful - I removed a bit of tissue from the bottom, glued the receiver to a piece of 1/16" sheet and glued the assembly in between the lower wing and the engine bay.
I made a new fin/rudder and elevator, keeping the existing stab, and temporarily replacing the tail bracing wires with struts under the stab.

It has turned out to be a slow, easy flier, capable of loops and spins.  Still has the instability and is not hands-off trimmable.
Only the last picture is post-conversion; the sewn elevator hinges can be seen, as well as the electric prop and the faint glow of the receiver LED down in the cockpit.
Next time I have it out I'll try for some flight pix.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
PT-1 conversion
PT-1 conversion
PT-1 conversion
PT-1 conversion
PT-1 conversion
kaintuck
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 07:06:11 AM »

Yours is a nice one, very clean!
I too have a biwing that is a booger...a sopwith camel, electric, .....she sits on the shelf waiting for someone quicker on the sticks than me!
Marc
aerotrope
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 10:17:46 AM »

Thanks - it's actually the third from these plans I've built over the years.  First was when I was 14; it glided ok but I had no idea about free flight and no place to fly so I put a bit of sheet around the nose and converted it to .049 control line.  Got maybe 25 flights before it broke up in the air.  Altogether great fun and very exciting at the end.
The second, twenty years ago, was enlarged to 30" span with a PeeWee .020 for free flight power.  It flew a few times, but had trouble with wing warps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: