Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 16, 2021, 10:43:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Peck Nesmith Cougar  (Read 443 times)
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 141

United States United States

Topic starter
I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« on: March 28, 2021, 12:27:08 PM »

Hi Comrades!
One of my kids came here to Palm Bay to recover from a badly fractured femur from snowboarding Christmas Day. He lives in Boulder CO, and he crashed and burned. He was lucky enough to be employed by a company who is being very generous in giving him all the time he needs to recuperate. He has never even once shown any interest in building model airplanes, but its like really boring here for a 30 year old kid who is used to being a rock and roll star. He asked me to help him get set up with all the stuff to build something simple so I gave him the Cougar and all the other odds and ends...when I tried to help, he tuned me out, UNLESS he asked a straightforward question, so I turned into the casual uninterested observer, unless asked for an observation, which was rare. He is and older kid, and has done a fair bit of living hard knock style, but his problem solving skills have always been keen and insightful. I think this effort passes, his weight 14 grams, but he stole one of Thee Olde Man's (his granddad) propellers and it is a heavy one. I casually observed him checking the balance and it is a tiny bit nose heavy. I am waiting for a prop request. This was a used kit and the prop was missing. He even noticed the 3 degrees down thrust in the plan and went out to the drill press.... I am mystified at his apparent beginner's luck we will see if it holds up come fly-day! HMMMM!
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Peck Nesmith Cougar

The Threadkiller!
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 34

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 12:41:46 PM »

Quote from: Crabby
...I am mystified at his apparent beginner's luck ...
Not luck.  You know what they say, breeding will out.   Smiley

It looks good.
Cheers,
Lurk.

flydean1
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 06:17:47 PM »

The Peck Cougar was my first flyable Peanut. 

The original was an effort by Nesmith to "design" his own airplane.

He had plans for a Wittman Tailwind and kept pestering Steve Wittman for his opinion on changes.  Heard this from Wittman himself.  Every change either slowed it down or negatively affected the handling.  Very few were built.  Anyway, the prototype had some sort of yellow trim but the Peck kit had only red tissue with some black for a fuselage side flash. 

Well, in the course of time, the prototype wound up hung in the rafters of the Sun & Fun Museum generally in pieces.  A friend of mine "traded" his restored Travel Air 2000 for the Cougar and after completely rebuilding, painted it---you guessed it---bright red.  I haven't seen it in years, but you can credit Peck with prophesying the eventual colors.  I think the registration was in black but can't recall if he had the side flash.
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 12:51:17 PM »

Here's a couple of shots of the original Nesmith.
Re: Peck Nesmith Cougar
flydean1
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 10:36:19 PM »

The yellow and black were what I saw hanging in the Museum.  The red is as rebuilt by Dean Tilton.
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 01:22:05 AM »

Crabby:

My guess is that, when he was little,  your son watched you build models, probably when you were not looking,  and learned a few things.

THB
Gold Member

Kudos: 26

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 07:14:54 AM »

Nice story Crabby. Enjoy the moment!

Tim
"Life is what happens while you're busy making other planes."
ChrisH
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2021, 02:41:30 PM »

A few months ago George Kandylakis posted a link to the French Cervia website   http://www.peanut-scale.fr/a-les-cahiers-du-cervia.html   its really good!

There is a header with 'Documentation' that will lead you to the Nesmith Cougar...

And in the 'Plans' pulldown you will find a very detailed peanut version by Ulises Alvarez

More good stuff here: http://wienerdogaero.com/CougarFuselage.php
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2021, 02:30:10 PM »

A few months ago George Kandylakis posted a link to the French Cervia website   http://www.peanut-scale.fr/a-les-cahiers-du-cervia.html   its really good!

There is a header with 'Documentation' that will lead you to the Nesmith Cougar...

And in the 'Plans' pulldown you will find a very detailed peanut version by Ulises Alvarez

That is a very nice Cougar plan--     Too bad the left edge got "clipped off" in the scan.  Would not be a problem building the model, but it would be nice to have a complete image, just for collectors' sake...

The wienerdog link has an interesting image:  The new, combined landing gear and engine mount assembly of that Cougar is similar to a Tailwind's.  The original Cougar landing gear mounting (attached directly to the lower fuselage structure) was a very poor design, and most built to plan failed.  The torsional loads twisted/broke the fuselage tubing where the legs attached.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: