Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 19, 2021, 05:20:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Who is going to the AMA 2021 Indoor Nats?  (Read 522 times)
dslusarc
Gold Member

Kudos: 28

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: February 26, 2021, 09:13:23 PM »

Just wondering who all is planning on attending the 2021 Indoor Nats this year? I have made a hotel reservation and entered on the AMA website. The site is only 4 hours away and I have flown there before so planning on going. Personally I have been in a modeling slump for about 18 months, essentially ever since my dad had his stroke. I need to get out of the funk and I want to build a few new planes but need some coaxing from you guys to get me in the building mood. In my visits with dad at the nursing home, he wants me to build a lightweight version of his Cassutt Nocal for the Nats which I want to do and started the initial steps. I have taken dad's Cassutt plan and redrawn it Autocad, and modified the structure for a light version. Also worked up the artwork for printing tissue. Now I just need to build the damn thing! So I am hoping we can make this a general building thread or similar to inspire us all to build stuff with the intent to fly at the Nats this year. I don't care if it is AMA or FAC events you are building. Just want to see what you are making for the Nats and fire up my inner muse and hopefully the same for others :-)

Don Slusarczyk   
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Who is going to the AMA 2021 Indoor Nats?
bjt4888
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 09:58:04 PM »

I’m building Kang’s BS6 EZB. Probably in the 450 mg range. Got the motor stick, tailboom, wing and stab done, but not happy with the stab as it came out at 35 mg w/o covering. I’ll rebuild it to get to 25 mg.

Mostly though I’ll be there working with kids flying Science Olympiad airplanes.

Brian T
Olbill
Titanium Member

Kudos: 71

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 10:54:10 AM »

I'm thinking that I'll go. No definite plans yet.

The only thing I've built since the pandemic started is some torque meters that David Lindley is selling on his website. But I had a major breakthrough earlier this week when I cleaned off part of my work bench!
Bredehoft
Platinum Member

Kudos: 57

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 11:33:43 AM »

I'll be there, Don - as this is my home indoor field.  Of course, I'll only be flying the FAC stuff.  I don't think I'll build anything else for the event, as I am trimming what I have monthly.  I do need some of my larger models to fly better (or fly at all!).

See you there!

--george

dslusarc
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 10:16:13 AM »

The only thing I've built since the pandemic started is some torque meters that David Lindley is selling on his website. But I had a major breakthrough earlier this week when I cleaned off part of my work bench!

What was the major breakthrough? Cliff hanger!
dslusarc
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 10:20:14 AM »

I’m building Kang’s BS6 EZB. Probably in the 450 mg range. Got the motor stick, tailboom, wing and stab done, but not happy with the stab as it came out at 35 mg w/o covering. I’ll rebuild it to get to 25 mg.
Mostly though I’ll be there working with kids flying Science Olympiad airplanes.
Brian T

A 450mg EZB is still darn good. The key is the parts have to be strength matched for the final weight of the model. Meaning you don't want a 250mg strength stab on a 450mg model. It will be too weak and flex too much. I've done my best times in Cat II sites with a model in the 450mg range. 

Don
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2021, 11:07:52 AM »

I interpreted the breakthrough as "cleaning off part of the work bench"   Cheesy

I'm at an impasse myself; all building boards are "full" and there are projects to launch! No contests for me, though...
dslusarc
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2021, 12:41:17 PM »

I get it now. I read that a different way. Embarrassed

Olbill
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2021, 02:30:45 PM »

The breakthrough was that I could see the top of my workbench.
Olbill
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2021, 02:32:43 PM »

I signed up, planned my route and located lodging so I guess I'll be going.
dslusarc
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2021, 07:52:41 PM »

I just checked my hotel for the dates and ended up rebooking the stay for $124 less. I am staying at the Hampton Inn Detroit/Auburn Hills South. That is where we stayed last time and it was fine.

Don

Olbill
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2021, 09:13:43 PM »

I just heard from Jake that Kibbie is likely to be on for this year and will be from June 23-27. Now I'm thinking about a 5 week trip to Kibbie and then to Pontiac. There are lots of variables but it at least looks possible.
jakepF1D
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

1996 World Champs

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2021, 03:37:19 PM »

The breakthrough was that I could see the top of my workbench.

I had this same breakthrough about a week ago.  Now it's filled up again, but this time with molds I'm prepping for new carbon fiber F1D prop parts.  I won't be at Nats, but with Kibbie finally official I'm breaking out of my building slump.  I don't want to touch any of my existing props because they're all set up for the salt mine, so new props and VP hubs are in process.
themaxout
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2021, 05:06:00 PM »

For what it's worth, I posted the availability of F1D prop mechanisms onthe for sale part of Hip Pocket.  If you want to build that F1D for the NATs this may be right for you.  I personally am going to try to make it in front of the outdoor NATs in Muncie.  Next big thing is finding the time... 2 weeks pus travel!
Bredehoft
Platinum Member

Kudos: 57

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2021, 11:21:54 PM »

Next big thing is finding the time... 2 weeks pus travel!

Joshua - take it from me - if you put your mind to it, you can get from Atlanta to Michigan in 1 day - about 11-12 hours   Wink  I've done that twice.  And for the return trip, Muncie is closer, so fewer hours Cheesy

--george

Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2021, 12:21:00 AM »

Quote from: Bredehoft

Joshua - take it from me - if you put your mind to it, you can get from Atlanta to Michigan in 1 day - about 11-12 hours  

--george

So now we have "themaxout" and "Maxout"??  This could be misleading.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: